Betty LaRue

Post a beautiful nature picture

2 hours ago, Johnnie5 said:

Jeez, everywhere you go these days there's a line.

A Cabbage White Butterfly (Pieris rapae) the San Luis National Wildlife Refuge in the Central Valley of California USA Stock Photo

:lol:

Mangrove tree at low tide:

mangrove-and-mangrove-roots-at-low-tide-

And in the mangrove forest at low tide too:

Posted (edited)

A pair of commas have been cavorting in the back garden, where I haven't seen them before.

This one took a shine to the garden chairs. You can zoom in on this one and see the hairs and scales. Just with the long end of a kit zoom.

DSC04581.jpg

Edited by spacecadet

On 20/06/2020 at 06:40, Regis said:

Mangrove tree at low tide:

And in the mangrove forest at low tide too:

How very interesting root formations!

13 hours ago, Shpg said:

Last time I tried to eat my lunch like that first animal, I couldn’t walk right for a week.

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

How very interesting root formations!

Hi Betty,

Yes, it is actually amazing to look at.

They very much resemble the architecture of the outside arches of Gothic cathedrals, in the way they support a bigger structure.

Have a good day,

Regis

Posted (edited)

Dragged the studio flash out into the garden today for a few larfs.

I've put this one up for John to identify as well as I don't think it's wild- we don't have too many of those, as gardening is not our thing.

Edit: Steeplebush, spiraea douglasii. Thanks, John.

DSC04628.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Thanks 1

More please.

A red mason bee (?) inside a nettle-leaved bellflower.

This bee really liked this flower. I don't know if it was mainlining nectar or what, but it just sat there for minutes on end. I think he was in love.

DSC04828.jpg

This is a Fairy Tern chick I photographed early last year. He or she was almost fully grown, so no longer a ball of fluff but not quite in adult plumage.

a-fairy-tern-chick-sternula-nereis-amongst-seaweed-on-the-beach-waiting-for-a-parent-to-return-with-breakfast-woodman-point-western-australia-2C4J204.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sally R said:

This is a Fairy Tern chick I photographed early last year. He or she was almost fully grown, so no longer a ball of fluff but not quite in adult plumage.

That is completely dead gourgeous.

And all I've got is this enchanter's nightshade (thanks John).

Hot glue custom lens adapter holding up well.

DSC05054.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, spacecadet said:

That is completely dead gourgeous.

And all I've got is this enchanter's nightshade (thanks John).

Hot glue custom lens adapter holding up well.

Thanks Space Cadet! I like the enchanter's nightshade, including the way the light picks up the hairs all along the stems. It's amazing when you look really closely at things and see what is actually there. It looks like a delicate plant. Glad the custom lens adaptor is holding up 👍

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Sally R said:

Thanks Space Cadet! I like the enchanter's nightshade, including the way the light picks up the hairs all along the stems. It's amazing when you look really closely at things and see what is actually there. It looks like a delicate plant. Glad the custom lens adaptor is holding up 👍

I appreciate it. Getting the flash out into the garden has really done the trick there. My old flashgun with inflatable softbox (you should see it, just like a tiny little shiny waterwing) is at about 90 degrees to camera for that one. Just right for the hairy bits.

BTW enchanter's is supposed to have white leaves when fresh, (I've been listening to John) but ours look pink straight out of the bud. Maybe we have our own special strain.

Valerian

DSC05102.jpg

Edited by spacecadet

1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

I appreciate it. Getting the flash out into the garden has really done the trick there. My old flashgun with inflatable softbox (you should see it, just like a tiny little shiny waterwing) is at about 90 degrees to camera for that one. Just right for the hairy bits.

BTW enchanter's is supposed to have white leaves when fresh, (I've been listening to John) but we have a strain that's definitely appear pink straight out of the bud.

Yes I googled enchanter as I hadn't heard of it before and could see that they mostly seem to be white, but I also saw an illustration of it with the same colour you have there.

Flashes of various kinds seem to really help with close-up photography. You can keep the shutter speed up while also having enough depth of field to keep everything in focus. One day I might get one of those fancy ring flashes for macro. I've been relying on the bright sunlight here to provide enough light, but in a forest or a cloudy day illumination options come in very handy!

2 minutes ago, Sally R said:

Yes I googled enchanter as I hadn't heard of it before and could see that they mostly seem to be white, but I also saw an illustration of it with the same colour you have there.

Flashes of various kinds seem to really help with close-up photography. You can keep the shutter speed up while also having enough depth of field to keep everything in focus. One day I might get one of those fancy ring flashes for macro. I've been relying on the bright sunlight here to provide enough light, but in a forest or a cloudy day illumination options come in very handy!

I don't know what you use, but the A58 having a focal-plane shutter won't sync above about 1/160th  of course. Not usually too much sunlight at f16 though so I can just blast it. Or put up a parasol (seriously).

8 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I don't know what you use, but the A58 having a focal-plane shutter won't sync above about 1/160th  of course. Not usually too much sunlight at f16 though so I can just blast it. Or put up a parasol (seriously).

I have a Nikon D5200 but I am yet to investigate options for additional lighting. It's one thing on my long list of photography to-do things! Yes there are a lot of creative ways to make things work!

33 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Valerian

Wow that's a nice close-up. I like the sort of coral red colour.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Sally R said:

Wow that's a nice close-up. I like the sort of coral red colour.

Yes- it's pretty much correct for balance, but no white to take an eyedropper off. I usually have Lightroom apply auto tone on import, but I'm not doing it for this nature stuff- the tones end up too harsh.. You'd think the opposite with controlled lighting, but no. Could have something to do with the older optics with inferior coatings maybe.

Thinking out loud, I often have small plants against mostly green backgrounds. Auto Tone probably prefers something nearer the average.

Edited by spacecadet

Posted (edited)

Sally, dear—did you explain to that bird that its neck is way too long? It needs help.

There's not much beautiful nature here in Liverpool, unless you count the colourful selection of antipasti in the M&S Foodhall. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

There's not much beautiful nature here in Liverpool, unless you count the colourful selection of antipasti in the M&S Foodhall. 

You've got Blundellsands up the road a ways. Plenty of dead jellyfish. That's the Isle of Man ferry on the right.

port-of-liverpool-wind-farm-seen-from-blundellsands-beach-crosby-liverpool-C5YJ16.jpg

Edited by spacecadet

Posted (edited)

Sat all day under an oak tree, hidden in shrubs and being bitten to death by b****y mossies 😖 to get a dozen or so images of this male kingfisher perched on a

branch with a cobweb which looks like a fishing rod and line.

2C5DX86.jpg

Edited by Alan Beastall
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Sally, dear—did you explain to that bird that its neck is way too long? It needs help.

I'm guessing Ed you mean the white-necked heron I posted. Yes it looks unusual and that it should be in the Guinness Book of Records for bird with longest neck!

I'm glad you at least have some beautiful nature in the form of antipasti 😂 

9 hours ago, Alan Beastall said:

Sat all day under an oak tree, hidden in shrubs and being bitten to death by b****y mossies 😖 to get a dozen or so images of this male kingfisher perched on a

branch with a cobweb which looks like a fishing rod and line.

2C5DX86.jpg

Edited 7 hours ago by Alan Beastall

Well done for achieving this beautiful shot Alan, despite mosquitoes! It does indeed look like the kingfisher is perched on a fishing rod. I've read of some wildlife photographers spending hours partially submerged in lakes to get a low angle photo of a water bird.

There is a bird photographer here in Australia, Duade Paton, who has started posting his bird photography tips online. In case it is of interest, this is the page with his images:

https://www.photos.duadepaton.com/

...and this is a page with his photography tips:

https://www.duadepaton.com/

I've only watched one of his videos so far which is this one which I thought of looking at your kingfisher on a stick:

https://www.duadepaton.com/bird-photography-using-water-to-attract-birds-in-the-field-vlog-1/

Thanks Sally, some great images from Duade and useful video clips. The video clips of Duade using water to attract birds in the field and wearing wellies reminding me of the wet days at Glastonbury.

Alan