Betty LaRue

Post a beautiful nature picture

I am not much of a wildlife/nature photographer.  I shot these last weekend, with my Sony RX10 IV, in my state of Maryland, near DC....Any ideas about the type of turtle or what the wild weed flower and insect, on it, is?

usa-maryland-poolesville-mckee-beshers-wildlife-management-area-turtles-on-a-log-covered-in-duckweed-2BN7E30.jpg

flowers-daisey-wildflower-purple-petals-yellow-mid-atlantic-maryland-2BN7E2N.jpg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I am not much of a wildlife/nature photographer.  I shot these last weekend, with my Sony RX10 IV, in my state of Maryland, near DC....Any ideas about the type of turtle or what the wild weed flower and insect, on it, is?

I'm sorry Michael, I would like to help but I don't know. I hope some knowledgable soul can chip in.

• Like 1

No worries Gen!  I think I may have i.d.'d the flower as "Showy fleabane" but when I looked it up, it says it is native to the Western USA and I am in the east.

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

No worries Gen!  I think I may have i.d.'d the flower as "Showy fleabane" but when I looked it up, it says it is native to the Western USA and I am in the east.

Migration?

Allan

Apart from the North American natives we grow as garden plants in the UK I'm no expert on your USA flora but I can see from a quick search that Erigeron philadelphicus, common fleabane, might fit the bill for the plant.  

• Like 1

On 14/05/2020 at 04:51, gvallee said:

Taken from a hide in Finland by sub-zero temperature in the snow.

Adult Female Goshawk (Accipiter gentilis).

A61XGM.jpg

Wow! Awesome!

• Like 1

This is a juvenile White-necked Heron I photographed several years ago. I had never seen one before and was intrigued by the spotty neck. I've often found juvenile birds to be quite curious and less wary than the adult birds. It's like they are as intrigued by you as you are by them.

a-juvenile-white-necked-heron-ardea-pacifica-at-bibra-lake-in-perth-western-australia-their-necks-become-more-white-as-adults-2BA7KT0.jpg

• Like 1

Sally, are you sure the name isn’t “giraffe heron”? 😉 Fantastic image!

Posted (edited)

Michael, your turtle doesn’t look familiar to me. I had a look around, no love. I’m no expert on them but have managed to ID the few I’ve taken shots of, the ones common to my area. Look on Alamy, search term “snapping turtle, USA “. Go from there. Your turtle doesn’t show the beak.
A few of those look similar to yours. We do have snapping turtles around here but it’s been too many years since I fought with one. (The one I hooked while fishing that tried to bite my foot off when I tried to remove the hook).

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Michael, your turtle doesn’t look familiar to me. I had a look around, no love. I’m no expert on them but have managed to ID the few I’ve taken shots of, the ones common to my area. Look on Alamy, search term “snapping turtle, USA “. Go from there. Your turtle doesn’t show the beak.
A few of those look similar to yours. We do have snapping turtles around here but it’s been too many years since I fought with one. (The one I hooked while fishing that tried to bite my foot off when I tried to remove the hook).

Betty

Thanks Betty. Definitely not a snapping type.  The ones I saw that day were a type of common pond turtle....just don’t know which one.  Some I shot (photographed) had yellow stripes down the neck.  They could be terrapin turtles.  

I should add that I have encountered snapping turtles and you don’t want to mess with one, they can easily take a finger off!

Edited by Michael Ventura

30 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Thanks Betty. Definitely not a snapping type.  The ones I saw that day were a type of common pond turtle....just don’t know which one.  Some I shot (photographed) had yellow stripes down the neck.  They could be terrapin turtles.  

The ones with yellow stripes might be painted turtles. I remember seeing them in rivers and ponds in Quebec. They probably venture down your way as well.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

The ones with yellow stripes might be painted turtles. I remember seeing them in rivers and ponds in Quebec. They probably venture down your way as well.

Thanks John, I will look them up!

Posted (edited)

One of my images. Is this your bee, Michael? I detect some shiny green on yours. Augochloropsis Metallica.

B1YB7T.jpgThis is what I’ve seen a lot.

Red-earred slider.

BC2EK4.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue

Thanks Betty!  I think that is my bee!  As for the turtle, it is close but mine don’t have that red “ear” marking.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Sally, are you sure the name isn’t “giraffe heron”? 😉 Fantastic image!

Thanks Betty, yes I think "giraffe heron" would be a very appropriate name! He or she is most definitely giraffe-like. After seeing this young one I've seen a few adult birds in the same area. As they become adults their necks become more white instead of grey, but they seem to keep the spots.

I found some onions and stuff.

DSC04049.jpg

• Like 1

i liked the geometry.  Trillium after flower fell off

view-from-above-of-a-trillium-plant-leaves-after-the-flower-has-fallen-off-with-bark-background-2BMHWRG.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Thanks Betty!  I think that is my bee!  As for the turtle, it is close but mine don’t have that red “ear” marking.

Yours doesn’t come with a red hook in its mouth, either! :D 

I was at a nearby lake shooting. 5 miles from my house at the time.  These two old guys were fishing, and I asked if I could take pictures of them. They said yes. The turtle was caught by one of them and I got the shot. This isn’t the turtle catch, though. They had quite the operation going.

BC2F10.jpg

BC2F60.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 2

Yellow Wagtail (Motacilla flava) having a bath, Hungary

BD0XM0.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Love those b/w mix sliders!

DSC04142.jpg

Above with the kit zoom and below with poor man's macro- the 105 enlarger lens on the BPM bellows from the Illumitran, the setup I use for slide copying. There's a lot of flare, but at f11 or 16 and with this much manipulation you can't tell how crummy it is! Focussing by hand with a lot of extension can be a bit challenging.

DSC04145.jpg

Edited by spacecadet

This one is different. This shows my daughter (left) and me (right) enjoying beautiful nature about 4 years ago. And yes, my ears aren’t level with each other so my sunglasses are always crooked!!! Don’t mind my sloppy pink large pink tee coverup.  So..I’m sloppy. Be thankful you don’t see the swimsuit underneath. GAH!  I had the camera on a near post.

Y’all are welcome, if you’d like, to post something in nature with you included.

F618MP.jpg

• Like 3

Sorry Betty, pictures of me are as rare as hens' teeth (I'm being polite here, I didn't use the equivalent 'quaint' Aussie expression to do with a rocking horse...). Instead, here is Hill Inlet, Whitsunday Islands, Queensland, Australia

FEM1CM.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Sorry Betty, pictures of me are as rare as hens' teeth (I'm being polite here, I didn't use the equivalent 'quaint' Aussie expression to do with a rocking horse...). Instead, here is Hill Inlet, Whitsunday Islands, Queensland, Australia

Gen, I had to look up your Aussie expression, too funny!  I love regional idioms.  Same for me, when it comes to pictures of me.  It will be tough to convince future generations that I existed 😬.  Much prefer being behind the camera. 

Betty, very nice pic of you and your daughter! Tho I have a pet peeve about taking photos of people with sunglasses on.  Not seeing the eyes takes so much from the photo.  Occasionally I photograph people who wear transition glasses and they can get quite dark outside.  If they insist on wearing them, then I have them put the glasses in their pocket for a while and then I get about 30 sec to a minute before they get too dark.  Having said all that, in your case, the photo looks great and it works for where you! A tropical beach!! Hope it sells!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Gen, I had to look up your Aussie expression, too funny!  I love regional idioms.  Same for me, when it comes to pictures of me.  It will be tough to convince future generations that I existed 😬.  Much prefer being behind the camera. 

Betty, very nice pic of you and your daughter! Tho I have a pet peeve about taking photos of people with sunglasses on.  Not seeing the eyes takes so much from the photo.  Occasionally I photograph people who wear transition glasses and they can get quite dark outside.  If they insist on wearing them, then I have them put the glasses in their pocket for a while and then I get about 30 sec to a minute before they get too dark.  Having said all that, in your case, the photo looks great and it works for where you! A tropical beach!! Hope it sells!

I agree about the eyes. But I have blue-green eyes and I’m virtually blind outside in bright sunlight. Then take the sun bouncing off the sand...forget it.
When a newlywed, my AF husband was stationed on the Mohave desert. We were so poor I couldn’t afford sunglasses. One day I drove 5 miles into town to pick up general delivery mail. The old water mirage was shimmering on the two-lane road, very bright midday sun. I got ocular spasms so bad that tears gushed and the pain was incredible. I was basically blind and barely saw well enough to pull off the road. It took about 10 minutes for the spasms to relax enough for me to drive again. I had our baby in the car so it was scary.

If I’d pulled my glasses off long enough for the beach picture, the squint and frown would have ruined it.
My husband was blue-eyed and he seldom wore sunglasses. My girls are sensitive like I am, also my son.

i developed this high key on purpose for the sun-drenched look.

Edited by Betty LaRue

3 hours ago, gvallee said:

FEM1CM.jpg

😂 ok then!