Betty LaRue

Post a beautiful nature picture

Posted (edited)

That squirrel story started out so beautifully - amazing - but such a sad ending! Guns - ugh! I understand hunting if you are going to eat what you shoot, but to shoot an animal simply for sport is so sad. 

Edited by Marianne

Love this thread. Here's one that sold here about a year ago and just this week as a print (POD). I'm so lucky to live close to the Hudson River, it's really beautiful. This was my first night photo shoot with my Sony A7rii. 

sleepy-hollow-new-york-usa-15-february-2018-usa-weather-a-stunning-M4G5N8.jpg

• Like 1

Not a lot of birds in my portfolio but here's a butterfly: Taken with my Olympus, inexpensive 40-150mm lens and a Nikon 4T filter. I love my 90mm macro on my Sony, but this setup has served me well. As is, no image stacking, I like my backgrounds (and sometimes foregrounds) out of focus. If everything was in focus, I think it would be less effective. What do you think? 

backlit-great-spangled-fritillary-butterfly-speyeria-cybele-aka-silverspots-pollinating-a-native-wildflower-a-purple-coneflower-echinacea-purpurea-2AED4FX.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Marianne said:

Love this thread. Here's one that sold here about a year ago and just this week as a print (POD). I'm so lucky to live close to the Hudson River, it's really beautiful. This was my first night photo shoot with my Sony A7rii. 

sleepy-hollow-new-york-usa-15-february-2018-usa-weather-a-stunning-M4G5N8.jpg

Gorgeous. Love the deep blues. My favorite time of the day. 2nd is sunrise, which can be so sparkling.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marianne said:

Not a lot of birds in my portfolio but here's a butterfly: Taken with my Olympus, inexpensive 40-150mm lens and a Nikon 4T filter. I love my 90mm macro on my Sony, but this setup has served me well. As is, no image stacking, I like my backgrounds (and sometimes foregrounds) out of focus. If everything was in focus, I think it would be less effective. What do you think? 

backlit-great-spangled-fritillary-butterfly-speyeria-cybele-aka-silverspots-pollinating-a-native-wildflower-a-purple-coneflower-echinacea-purpurea-2AED4FX.jpg

I agree. I like oof backgrounds, too.

• Like 1

Thanks Betty. I love shooting during the blue hour, either end of the day. I just had an article about it published recently. https://greatescapepublishing.com/travel-photography/how-to-take-great-photos-at-blue-hour/

The first image isn't mine, and honestly it bugs me since I sent them 5 and don't particularly like the top one they chose, don't know why they didn't use just mine, but they licensed the other 4 from me. Anyway, nice to see my work in use. That's the plan for our work after all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marianne said:

Thanks Betty. I love shooting during the blue hour, either end of the day. I just had an article about it published recently. https://greatescapepublishing.com/travel-photography/how-to-take-great-photos-at-blue-hour/

The first image isn't mine, and honestly it bugs me since I sent them 5 and don't particularly like the top one they chose, don't know why they didn't use just mine, but they licensed the other 4 from me. Anyway, nice to see my work in use. That's the plan for our work after all. 

Cool article! 👍

• Upvote 1

Backlit Cattle Egret in breeding plumage, Florida

AC7Y1G.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

This was a beautiful sky last week...

2BE81WT.jpg

Phil

Bird, sky, flower. Beautiful! We still have the beauty of nature, and our eyes to behold it.

• Like 1

This image was taken during an especially hot summer. I began noticing honeybees gathering around the birdbath for the first time. Never saw this behavior before or since. I’m not saying they don’t ever drink water, just that they did it in such numbers that the behavior was very noticeable.  I could walk right up without them being concerned. I could watch their bodies swell almost to bursting.

B2KCYW.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

This image was taken during an especially hot summer. I began noticing honeybees gathering around the birdbath for the first time. Never saw this behavior before or since.

I took a bird photography trip to Hungary once. A well known local bird photography owns a large piece of land there with lakes, dry forests, etc, various habitats. He had set up very clever bird hides among these habitats to attract different species of birds. One of them was totally spoilt by the bees of a beekeeper neighbour. Bees swarmed in their hundreds to the drinking trough he had set up at eye level. Birds were being constantly pestered and eventually did not bother to come and drink there. RIP that bird hide.

Atmospheric sunrise at Chilli Beach, Cape York Peninsula, Far North Queensland, Australia

P7ME4H.jpg

• Like 3

Grizzly bear (ursus arctos horribilis - female) in Denali national Park - Alaska. The arctic tundra turns red during the very short autumn season.

grizzly-bear-ursus-arctos-horribilis-fem

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Olivier Parent said:

Grizzly bear (ursus arctos horribilis - female) in Denali national Park - Alaska. The arctic tundra turns red during the very short autumn season.

grizzly-bear-ursus-arctos-horribilis-fem

Wow. That is gorgeous. I know the Denali bears are more aggressive than the ones in Katmai that I have photographed. I hope you took great care!

Paulette

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I hope you took great care

Still here. He must have.🤪

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Wow. That is gorgeous. I know the Denali bears are more aggressive than the ones in Katmai that I have photographed. I hope you took great care!

Paulette

Thank you Paulette!

I have never been to Katmai but as far as I know, Denali bears are also much smaller.

I cannot say if they can be considered aggressive, the ones I saw in Denali really only seemed to care about berries and arctic ground squirrels as winter was coming.

Kos island seen from the Bodrum ferry

kos-island-from-the-sea-kos-greece-E9X961.jpg

Long Tailed Tit eyeing up lunch

2BF19BY.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Alan Beastall said:

Long Tailed Tit eyeing up lunch

2BF19BY.jpg

How perfect is this. Hurry, bee!!

From fierce bear to cute bird. Wonderful.

Thanks Betty, if we never meet, have a good life.

1 hour ago, Alan Beastall said:

Thanks Betty, if we never meet, have a good life.

I plan on it, thanks!

Yellow-legged Honeycreeper from Brazil

AC7XAM.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1