Post a beautiful nature picture

Betty LaRue

This has been a lousy fall for photography here. We seemed to go straight from summer to grey winter weather with very little colour in between. However, I did manage to take a few autumn nature pics. This dogwood grows outside our front window.

closeup-of-dogwood-tree-leaves-changing-color-in-fall-vancouver-british-columbia-canada-2H5GR2B.jpg
Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

33 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

This has been a lousy fall for photography here. We seemed to go straight from summer to grey winter weather with very little colour in between. However, I did manage to take a few autumn nature pics. This dogwood grows outside our front window.

closeup-of-dogwood-tree-leaves-changing-color-in-fall-vancouver-british-columbia-canada-2H5GR2B.jpg

Beautiful!

19 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks, Betty. It was actually a very dull day. I'm surprised the image turned out as bright and cheery as it did.

I’ve found the best time to shoot autumn foliage is on overcast days. One can escape those nasty blown highlights that replace color. Then it’s just a matter of good PP to brighten and intensify the colors a tad, if needed. You’ve done that.

This one, leaves of my Burning Bush, was in the sun from the front. I had to move around to the shadiest side, and even so, you can see the left side where a few leaves were blanched of intense color from the sun.

2EFRB8P.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue

54 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’ve found the best time to shoot autumn foliage is on overcast days. One can escape those nasty blown highlights that replace color. Then it’s just a matter of good PP to brighten and intensify the colors a tad, if needed. You’ve done that.

This one, leaves of my Burning Bush, was in the sun from the front. I had to move around to the shadiest side, and even so, you can see the left side where a few leaves were blanched of intense color from the sun.

2EFRB8P.jpg

I did lighten and brighten things up as best I could. Yes, colours do tend to "pop" on cloudy days, and no troublesome highlights to contend with.

However, it's probably OK to have some overcooked highlights on a burning bush. 😃

• Love 1

1 minute ago, John Mitchell said:

I did lighten and brighten things up as best I could. Yes, colours do tend to "pop" on cloudy days, and no troublesome highlights to contend with.

However, it's probably OK to have some overcooked highlights on a burning bush. 😃

True! 😁

• 3 months later...

SPIDER WARNING.

Been a while since we've had anything here but this splendid fellow now lives behind a kitchen cabinet.

A lace-weaver?

DSC09284.jpg

Hosted image at full-size-2 clicks-

https://postimg.cc/4n7NhxmT

Alamy no longer seems to show that.

Still working on my technique with the macro lens because its sweet spot is only f11 and I have great difficulty with DoF. It really struggles below f16 and post sharpening won't do.

I'd love to know what the expert here do.

Edited by spacecadet

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

SPIDER WARNING.

Been a while since we've had anything here but this splendid fellow now lives behind a kitchen cabinet.

A lace-weaver?

DSC09284.jpg

Still working on my technique with the macro lens because its sweet spot is only f11 and I have great difficulty with DoF. It really struggles below f16 and post sharpening won't do.

Is it carrying its young on its back?  Looks like it to me.  If it is you are going to be overrun with them, but don't send me any I have my own problems.

Allan

14 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Is it carrying its young on its back?  Looks like it to me.  If it is you are going to be overrun with them, but don't send me any I have my own problems.

Allan

No, it's just hairy. If you click through on the link it's clearer.

We did have a herd of spiderlings under the car bonnet once though. When the car lived outside we had a long-term inhabitant in one of the wing mirrors.

DSC07372.jpg

We consider spiders in the house to be part of the deal. Nothing to do with our housekeeping of course😉

Watching one truss up a wasp was extraordinary. It didn't have a chance.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

58 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

No, it's just hairy. If you click through on the link it's clearer.

We did have a herd of spiderlings under the car bonnet once though. When the car lived outside we had a long-term inhabitant in one of the wing mirrors.

DSC07372.jpg

We consider spiders in the house to be part of the deal. Nothing to do with our housekeeping of course😉

Watching one truss up a wasp was extraordinary. It didn't have a chance.

Yes useful little friends.

Allan

• Thanks 1

On 21/02/2022 at 16:26, spacecadet said:

SPIDER WARNING.

A lace-weaver?

DSC09284.jpg

Whilst I wouldn't harm it, if it was living behind one of my kitchen cabinets it would have been evicted by now.

55 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

Whilst I wouldn't harm it, if it was living behind one of my kitchen cabinets it would have been evicted by now.

Can't chuck it out in this weather, surely😵

If he can make a living there he's welcome to it. Probably gets the odd fruit fly. Or, as I said,  wasp if he's really hard.

Edited by spacecadet

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Can't chuck it out in this weather, surely😵

If he can make a living there he's welcome to it. Probably gets the odd fruit fly. Or, as I said,  wasp if he's really hard.

Into the woodpile at the bottom of the garden which has been left as a bug 'hotel'. Very sheltered; he would be OK and probably happier there. Lots of bugs to feast on.🐛

Edited by Dave Richards
corrected text.

• 1 month later...

Still just me then? OK, this year's amaryllis, white b/g for a change- I haven't turned the colour up to 11, it looks like that. Pretty much.

Actually the WB varies a bit as Remote Camera Control and the A58 disagree about the colour temperature of flash.

amaryllis-1950.jpg

Oops just noticed the edge of the roll at the top, thought I'd lost that..........

amaryllis-1957.jpg

Going abstract, Edward Weston did it better but why not...

amaryllis-1958.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 2
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...