Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I’m wonder if any of you know of offers out there to help us get through this health crisis? Not what’s in the headlines, but things that might have gone unnoticed?

 

All UK libraries are closed, but The Liverpool Library System has an app that lets us get virtual books, mags, and other things. And they’ve done away with late return fees. (How do you return a virtual book?)

 

https://liverpool.gov.uk/libraries/ereading/

 

I have a library card but I’ve not set this up yet. I’m hesitant to get involved with another open-ended tech problem. And I think you all know about the endless trouble I’ve been having with the WiFi in my building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sb photos said:

 

We usually eat around one butternut squash a month. My wife normally buys our vegetables from a farm shop close to where she worked at a garden centre and gardens, now shut. She checked the farm shop status yesterday, it too is now shut, only undertaking deliveries to those previously signed up. Luckily she bought two recently, haven't seen them anywhere I've shopped, even at opening times.

Aldi had them last week......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Notwithstanding your wi-fi problems, Edo, but the NY Times and the Washington Post have both made all CV19 related articles free, no restrictions on how many articles you can read etc.

Murdok's press in Australia yet to follow suit, but that's a distinctive positive IMO 🙂

 

DD

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Dusty. I have both the Times and Post bookmarked. I listen to NPR out of NYC every day. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks, Dusty. I have both the Times and Post bookmarked. I listen to NPR out of NYC every day. 

 

My respect for the NY Times is huge, and enhanced by my recent experience where I had to unsubscribe as at the moment we really have to rationalise all our non-essential expenditures. I was contacted several times by the Times to enquire why I chose to unsubscribe, and when I explained why, the offer was made to continue at their "introductory" rate for a further 12 months, which I gratefully accepted. Of course it's no actual cost to keep me on by offering the lower rate, but just the fact they followed it up and made the offer puts them in good stead in my eyes.

 

NPR are brilliant too.

 

Keep well, Edo, when this is all over who knows, we may meet again. I'd like that 🙂

 

DD

 

 

Edited by dustydingo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

Aldi had them last week......

 

Seems a long while ago now, but last Saturday took our last drive I suspect for some time into the Cotswolds. Visited Whichford and Hook Norton for a walk around, was pretty deserted. Crossed the road to avoid others on the same path. Regretted never before visiting the Hook Norton Brewery, tours ended the week before. Whichford pottery was open, just one car in the car park, and those visitors were leaving. Never seen it deserted before. Visited Aylesbury Aldi on the way home around 5:30pm, not crowded, managed to buy the elusive cat litter, cheese and yogurts. Of course all eggs, milk and squashes long gone by then. Will visit tomorrow early after an early morning walk. Now off to stomp some local footpaths that will later be cut by HS2 if that madness continues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Today started off well, I woke up.

Got up, washed, dressed, combed hair, couldn't be bothered to shave as no one was coming today.

Had breakfast, washed dishes. Now what shall I do? I know I'll clean the inside of the windows in the bedrooms and lounge as they had not been done for a while. WHILE! It must have been years, the grime and cobwebs, YUK! Anyway I got it done and I felt good. So what now as it was still only 10am?  I know, seeing as how I am into housework today, I will vacuum and dust the rooms where I cleaned the windows, wheee! I'm on a roll now, but noted the last room, the lounge, hadn't taken as long as I expected but felt quite worn out by then. It was 11.30am. I said to the bears that I was going to have a break now. Shock horror one of the bears actually replied and said, "Only five minutes." Found myself replying that I would have as long as I liked and if that was how they where going to talk to me when we moved they could think again. Wait a minute! A stuffed Steiff teddybear just spoke to me, and I REPLIED. This self isolation is beginning to get to me.

Ahrrrgggggg! 

 

Going to get lunch ready now. Butter chicken with rice with a spoon of Mango chutney and a fresh apple for dessert. I just had to look up "dessert" to make sure spelling was correct.

 

Bye for now.

 

Allan

 

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Zoom chat with children and partners and beautiful granddaughter (in New Zealand) this morning. High-tech No. 1 son has worked out how to put exotic backdrops in his video feed so they were in San Francisco and not Beverley.

This should be in the "post something good" thread.

Probably vacuum the stairs later- they show the dirt since I painted them magnolia last year. And Allan though he was bored😀

Really caning the wine, chocolate and gin supply. Need to rein it in a bit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't worry Allan, I had a conversation with a friendly looking cockroach in the laundry the other day (though that is not unusual for me 😜 I'm no good at killing anything and usually just chat to little creatures instead).

 

I think the amazing thing is how we can talk to one another across the world while all going through similar experiences. I can't help thinking of people in the 1918 flu pandemic having nowhere near the level of communication with others that we have across the internet. So much unknown, including about loved ones in WWI. Now the whole world is going through much the same thing at once and we can actually talk to each other about it in real time!

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sally R said:

I had a conversation with a friendly looking cockroach in the laundry the other day (

Pictures please😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sally, love your birdie snaps. 

 

Do you know DustyDingo in Perth? He's a good guy with a lovely family. Good luck to all you folks DownUnder, with this terrible health crisis and the coming depression.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

A Zoom chat with children and partners and beautiful granddaughter (in New Zealand) this morning. High-tech No. 1 son has worked out how to put exotic backdrops in his video feed so they were in San Francisco and not Beverley.

This should be in the "post something good" thread.

Probably vacuum the stairs later- they show the dirt since I painted them magnolia last year. And Allan though he was bored😀

Really caning the wine, chocolate and gin supply. Need to rein it in a bit.

 

Two sons back from London have been living separately from us in the same house for around a week.Yesterday they 'came out' if you know what I mean. 

 

Haven't counted but probably my stock of elderberry wine is down 10 bottles this last week. They've also been guzzling all my beer and eating the cupboard bare.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

wine is down 10 bottles this last week.

🤩and I thought I was doing well.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Sally, love your birdie snaps. 

 

Do you know DustyDingo in Perth? He's a good guy with a lovely family. Good luck to all you folks DownUnder, with this terrible health crisis and the coming depression.  

 

Thanks mate, and the same to you and everyone else reading this. Be kind, take care, stay well.

 

Like I said somewhere earlier tonight, when all this is over, Edo, we'll meet again. 🙂

 

DD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it too early to have a drink? That's a rhetorical question...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Is it too early to have a drink? That's a rhetorical question...

Stop it. You're a bad man.😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Is it too early to have a drink? That's a rhetorical question...

Under the circumstances, I think not......Cheers😀

 

Carol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Under the circumstances, I think not......Cheers😀

 

Carol

 

Cheers. This is no time for sobriety...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love learning new things.

 

I have decided that during this minimum security prison term we all find ourselves in, I will learn some new software.

 

I have Affinity Publisher and Designer.  I use designer strictly to work on already made vectors, but have never learned how to do it myself.  The time is now.  I figure down the road I can save some money by creating my own vectors as opposed to buying them.  Same with Publisher.  Haven't used it as much as I thought I would as time has kept me from creating brochures etc for the business and I found I was purchasing already made mockups.  Now is the time to learn how to do it myself.

 

I have always wanted to learn Blender, the 3D software, so I will add that to my list of courses I will dig into.  The sheer volume of tutorials on the web should keep me interested for quite awhile.  And learning something new is never a waste of time.

 

Jill

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Under the circumstances, I think not......Cheers😀

 

Carol

 

2 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

 

Cheers. This is no time for sobriety...

Youre ganging up now. I hope my lungs survive this but my liver's going to be in serious bother.............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

And learning something new is never a waste of time.

 

When the crumpets pop out of the toaster, I can now catch them both in one hand. Old dog... new tricks... 😀

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I hope my lungs survive this but my liver's going to be in serious bother.............

 

What's the worst that can happen?

 

Oh...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Today started off well, I woke up.

Got up, washed, dressed, combed hair, couldn't be bothered to shave as no one was coming today.

Had breakfast, washed dishes. Now what shall I do? I know I'll clean the inside of the windows in the bedrooms and lounge as they had not been done for a while. WHILE! It must have been years, the grime and cobwebs, YUK! Anyway I got it done and I felt good. So what now as it was still only 10am?  I know, seeing as how I am into housework today, I will vacuum and dust the rooms where I cleaned the windows, wheee! I'm on a roll now, but noted the last room, the lounge, hadn't taken as long as I expected but felt quite worn out by then. It was 11.30am. I said to the bears that I was going to have a break now. Shock horror one of the bears actually replied and said, "Only five minutes." Found myself replying that I would have as long as I liked and if that was how they where going to talk to me when we moved they could think again. Wait a minute! A stuffed Steiff teddybear just spoke to me, and I REPLIED. This self isolation is beginning to get to me.

Ahrrrgggggg! 

 

Going to get lunch ready now. Butter chicken with rice with a spoon of Mango chutney and a fresh apple for dessert. I just had to look up "dessert" to make sure spelling was correct.

 

Bye for now.

 

Allan

 

Yes, Allan. If you’re not careful how you spell dessert, you have to deal with sand in your throat. :D

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other half and I are always stumped by quiz questions on chemical elements so we have decided to learn the periodic table....might come in handy! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t made my bed for a week. I just straighten the covers a bit. 
My skin is enjoying no makeup.

I mopped a couple of floors yesterday after sweeping, and washed a load of laundry. Today I’ll do some dusting.

All of these endeavors are so exciting, I can hardly contain myself.

Oh, well. My parrot, Echo, loves me still, makeup or no.

Betty

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.