1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Viral? Isn't that an infection, John? 

My question (poorly phrased) was asking about the low # of readers on The Volunteer blog. Most of the others get about 100 readers. My old Mulberry Street blog got up to 600 readers. 

Yes but you were well known in the States. Give it time and I am sure you will be well known in Liverpool too.😃

Allan

Posted (edited)

I apologise for turning your thoughts away from your allotments and gardening for a moment (my allotment is a three-inch plastic box of dirt M&S gave me at checkout). 

I've been made to observe my own picture pursuits in the lockdown—empty streets are not a favourite subject.

an-empty-mathew-street-due-to-the-liverp

Here's John Lennon yesterday looking out at the emptiness of Mathew Street that surrounds him.

My photo thinking turned to the fact that , even before the Pandemic Lockdown, I have been capturing fewer and fewer people pictures in recent years. Is it a growing shyness on my part? Maybe. But modern times has to share the blame. "Get images of people doing something," the saying goes. You will all agree that these days that something is  . . . looking at a smart phone. Basta!

Below is a collection of my Alamy images with a good number of Street snaps of people. I'm going to make the effort to get back to doing that. As soon as some people show up.

http://edoruan.blogspot.com

Edo

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I apologise for turning your thoughts away from your allotments and gardening for a moment (my allotment is a three-inch plastic box of dirt M&S gave me at checkout). 

I've been made to observe my own picture pursuits in the lockdown—empty streets are not a favourite subject.

an-empty-mathew-street-due-to-the-liverp

Here's John Lennon yesterday looking out at the emptiness of Mathew Street that surrounds him.

My photo thinking turned to the fact that , even before the Pandemic Lockdown, I have been capturing fewer and fewer people pictures in recent years. Is it a growing shyness on my part? Maybe. But modern times has to share the blame. "Get images of people doing something," the saying goes. You will all agree that these days that something is  . . . looking at a smart phone. Basta!

Below is a collection of my Alamy images with a good number of Street snaps of people. I'm going to make the effort to get back to doing that. As soon as some people show up.

http://edoruan.blogspot.com

Edo

I like the one with the Nun. She looks like she is litter picking.😉

Allan

The girl with crutches on the subway, wonder what she's thinking?

Thanks for sharing Ed.

I have something new to take my time with now: getting to know the Sony RX100-V that arrived this morning. I took it for a walk today but was just trying things out. 

It was yet another sunny spring day with a high of 73F (about 23C). I recall one summer in Oxfordshire in the '80s when it reached 90F five days in a row. But that's unusual, eh, British people? Ninety might be what ReeRay in Thailand considers a cool day.

Yesterday, a fish & chips place on Church Street opened up for takeout. I got fish with extra chips. Today I took most of the chips back up to Church Street and dropped them on the ground for the hungry pigeons. By the time I tossed the third bunch, two dozen Herring gulls arrived. They were aggressive among themselves but not with me and my bag of chips. That's good, because they are large birds with sharp beaks. I think I'll do that again tomorrow. 

Hey, I had a $xxx sale today, so it calls for sharing.

Edo

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I have something new to take my time with now: getting to know the Sony RX100-V that arrived this morning. I took it for a walk today but was just trying things out. 

It was yet another sunny spring day with a high of 73F (about 23C). I recall one summer in Oxfordshire in the '80s when it reached 90F five days in a row. But that's unusual, eh, British people? Ninety might be what ReeRay in Thailand considers a cool day.

Yesterday, a fish & chips place on Church Street opened up for takeout. I got fish with extra chips. Today I took most of the chips back up to Church Street and dropped them on the ground for the hungry pigeons. By the time I tossed the third bunch, two dozen Herring gulls arrived. They were aggressive among themselves but not with me and my bag of chips. That's good, because they are large birds with sharp beaks. I think I'll do that again tomorrow. 

Hey, I had a $xxx sale today, so it calls for sharing.

Edo

Love a fish and chip supper!

Great that you have had a decent sale, please can you send me one.....

Edited by Thyrsis

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Edo

You must have quite a collection of RX100's by now. What attracted you to the V? Isn't there even a VI now?

The VII (2019) does away with the limit on video capture.

The VI (2018) was the first with a 24-200mm equivalent lens.

all side by side

wim

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wiskerke said:

The VII (2019) does away with the limit on video capture.

The VI (2018) was the first with a 24-200mm equivalent lens.

all side by side

wim

Wow. There is a version VII now. I'm really falling behind...

Is the first version of the RX100 the only one with sweep panorama?

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Wow. There is a version VII now. I'm really falling behind...

Is the first version of the RX100 the only one with sweep panorama?

I have no idea. I have not used that since my first digital Ixus.

Where in all those menu tabs would that be?

It turns out it's in full view right there on the mode dial. And all my 4 RX's have it.

wim

edit: and this is what I did with it then:

vingers3.jpg

der Körperteil im Zeitalter seiner technischen Reproduzierbarkeit

explanation on my ancient website here.

Edited by wiskerke

7 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

You must have quite a collection of RX100's by now. What attracted you to the V? Isn't there even a VI now?

I have 2, John. And the 100/6 is jammed. Both the 100/6 and 100/V have the improved autofocus. I gave my 100/3 to a friend a year ago. I've come to feel that these little Sonys are the best I can do for Alamy editorial stock. I also have an a6000, like you, and an RX10. 

10 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I have 2, John. And the 100/6 is jammed. Both the 100/6 and 100/V have the improved autofocus. I gave my 100/3 to a friend a year ago. I've come to feel that these little Sonys are the best I can do for Alamy editorial stock. I also have an a6000, like you, and an RX10. 

It sounds as if the little wonders are serving you well. It's taking me awhile to jump on the bandwagon, but I've started saving up for 100/XIV, which should be out in a month or two. 😉

• Haha 1

Back on the garden we've had no real rain for a couple of months and I'm having to water all of the crops. Somewhere in the garage is our lawn sprinkler, that could  be used on the potato  patch,   but it's buried under layers of junk. I suspect that our allotment water bill will be significant. Could use some instruction on how do a rain dance, praying for rain has had no noticeable effect. Can't recall a late spring as dry as this. I guess that there is a stock photo opportunity here somewhere, but I tend to water the crops when the garden is in shade so a challenging subject. 

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

Back on the garden we've had no real rain for a couple of months and I'm having to water all of the crops. Somewhere in the garage is our lawn sprinkler, that could  be used on the potato  patch,   but it's buried under layers of junk. I suspect that our allotment water bill will be significant. Could use some instruction on how do a rain dance, praying for rain has had no noticeable effect. Can't recall a late spring as dry as this. I guess that there is a stock photo opportunity here somewhere, but I tend to water the crops when the garden is in shade so a challenging subject. 

We’re having to water daily and now that all 7 water butts and two tanks are empty we’re having to use the hosepipes.  The money we save growing our own veg is going to end up in the pockets of Thames Water!! 

And we’re also watering the ground around the front of the house to prevent movement as we’re on clay and it dries out in a drought.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

We’re having to water daily and now that all 7 water butts and two tanks are empty we’re having to use the hosepipes.  The money we save growing our own veg is going to end up in the pockets of Thames Water!! 

And we’re also watering the ground around the front of the house to prevent movement as we’re on clay and it dries out in a drought.

We have 6 rainwater butts at the house and most are now less than half full, and they just supply the greenhouse, some hanging baskets and flowers, but no opportunity to gather rainwater at the allotment. Also using bath water for the flowers while I had to resort to do some topping up of our garden pond with tap water, don't want to lose the frogs. Mowing with the cuttings returned to the lawn. Worrying times....

Two connected water butts in a domestic garden, England, UK - Stock Image

Edited by Bryan

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

We have 6 rainwater butts at the house and most are now less than half full, and they just supply the greenhouse, some hanging baskets and flowers, but no opportunity to gather rainwater at the allotment. Also using bath water for the flowers while I had to resort to do some topping up of our garden pond with tap water, don't want to lose the frogs. Mowing with the cuttings returned to the lawn. Worrying times....

Two connected water butts in a domestic garden, England, UK - Stock Image

rain-water-harvesting.jpg

We have two tanks like these ones, connected to normal water butts to take the overflow. Might be a while until they’re full again!

• Like 1

BE6HJ8.jpg

I think this chap was having waaay to much fun...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I moved to this house, I realized it has an in-ground sprinkler system connected to free well water. I’m on clay soil, also, and have a fescue lawn which requires more water than the Bermuda grass I had in Oklahoma. I do have to pay electricity to run the pump while the system runs.

We’re lucky to have had enough rain in May that I think I’ve only watered twice. It’s beginning to get in the 80s now, and sunny, so I’ll be watering more. Upside is I heard my tomato plants muttering to each other about those strange warming rays falling on their leaves.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

When I moved to this house, I realized it has an in-ground sprinkler system connected to free well water. I’m on clay soil, also, and have a fescue lawn which requires more water than the Bermuda grass I had in Oklahoma. I do have to pay electricity to run the pump while the system runs.

We’re lucky to have had enough rain in May that I think I’ve only watered twice. It’s beginning to get in the 80s now, and sunny, so I’ll be watering more. Upside is I heard my tomato plants muttering to each other about those strange warming rays falling on their leaves.

Useful to have a free source of water Betty, our supply is metered so we try to be economical with it. 

I don't normally water grass, the one benefit of the drought is that the lawn grows more slowly and requires less mowing. I have found that even if it all turns brown, green will be restored as soon as we get significant rain, although I appreciate you are living with a very different climate and that might not work for you.

Our long term weather forecast is for showers, but another dry week lies ahead. Last year June was both cold and very wet.

• Like 1

I made pizzas.......

two-pizzas-on-a-baking-tray-S36K77.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

I made pizzas.......

I've become a bit of a pizza god as well but yesterday tried the pseudo-Neapolitano "searing hot frying pan followed by hot grill" schtick and it worked quite well. You get a crispier base than doing it on a plate.

I could fancy one of yours though.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I've become a bit of a pizza god as well but yesterday tried the pseudo-Neapolitano "searing hot frying pan followed by hot grill" schtick and it worked quite well. You get a crispier base than doing it on a plate.

My son is the best pizza maker. Perfect dough and a portable outdoor pizza oven! 

Edited by Thyrsis
  • Thanks 1

Wow, I'm impressed, Pizza Guys. Rudy's on Castle Street has opened for takeaway.

On 30/05/2020 at 17:00, spacecadet said:

I could do with some lessons on pizza making, tried using a stone slab inside the gas oven at high temp but struggle to get a crispy base, while they often have a yeasty taste. My wife doesn't rate my pizzas, she reckons shop bought are better (although I disagree). Possibly piling too much stuff on the top, preventing the base from cooking?

Eccentric gardening, I've planted a row of oriental poppies outside my allotment, they look great for a couple of weeks, but then ......

Red poppies in a border outside an allotment garden, England, UK Stock Photo