Self-isolation Activities

19 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Last evening I was persuaded to head to a nearby grassed area to play bat and ball (Matkot) with the Mrs. We always carry a set in the caravan, and normally play in empty spaces on campsites in mainland Europe. 

Another word to look up. Here we call it Kadima (actually, most here call it "Pro Kadima" because that's what the overwhelmingly dominant brand calls it). Pretty much just played on the beach in my experience, so you get pretty rusty between beach outings.

• Love 1

12 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

Regarding Covid-19 self isolation activities, at 80 years old, I am putting my affairs in order.

Me too, even at 68 it's a sensible move. I completed my 2019/20 tax return earlier than ever before, checked my fairly recent will was still current, and made sure my wife and daughter were both aware of my encrypted list of passwords. Just sensible precautions.

Every new day here in Liverpool, I see fewer people on the streets on my daily walk. Fewer Herring gulls, too. On these walks, I don't explore new areas; it does not feel like the right time to do that. I have my Sony RX 100-6 with me but new subjects are mostly details, signs and such. There's no creative inspiration in that. 

2BFR6JM.jpg

• Love 2

14 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Too right. I made a new updated will yesterday! 

Did mine in March, day before the lock down. In fact I was the last customer the solicitors in my firm would be seeing on face to face terms.

Allan

I am revising my funeral plan  so I have one if I die during the current outbreak (out goes the lone piper, fly past and the large choir) and one if I die during "normal" times.  

Three times now I have seen a funeral procession with just the Hearse, wicker coffin and no mourners .  I have also seen (and photographed) bodies arriving at the local emergency mortuary.

"In the mist of life we are in death". 

• Like 1

On 23/04/2020 at 10:35, Allan Bell said:

Did mine in March, day before the lock down. In fact I was the last customer the solicitors in my firm would be seeing on face to face terms.

Allan

There is an old saying "where there's a will there's relatives" 🙂 or have i got the wrong one.

• Like 1

I've got a film scanner and have started to upload marches and demos from the 1970's. I lack the motivation these days to take photos when I'm out walking. And maybe it's illegal to stop to take photos, if sitting down is illegal?

On 22/04/2020 at 18:49, Bill Brooks said:

Regarding Covid-19 self isolation activities, at 80 years old, I am putting my affairs in order.

Wrote our wills some while ago, need to periodically check that they are still relevant with changing family circumstances. What I have not done and perhaps should, is to write a letter, to be opened on my death, expressing my affection for close family members, as in these circumstances there might not be the opportunity to have a last conversation.

Becoming a tad morbid, change of subject, considering sowing some courgettes today, first truss has just appeared on one of my tomato plants, parsnips leaping into life at allotment, sun proposed to shine. Shopping today, discovered that long life milk substantially cheaper at ALDI, but semi skimmed slightly cheaper at Sainsbury's! Can't find reference to fresh onions or alcohol free beer on ALDI website, eggs in short supply at Sainsbury's.

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Shopping today, discovered that long life milk substantially cheaper at ALDI, but semi skimmed slightly cheaper at Sainsbury's! Can't find reference to fresh onions or alcohol free beer on ALDI website, eggs in short supply at Sainsbury's.

Before the coronavirus pandemic I used to split my shops between Aldi, Sainsbury's, Tesco, Morrisons and Co-op, normally due to price or products. Now I shop more for safety, where I know there will be less shoppers at certain times and adapt meals around what is available, but it's costing more. I shopped at Sainsbury's last night, was at ease there. They had plenty of eggs but still no flour. Was told by the checkout girl that when flour arrives it sells out within the hour. We also have a weekly delivery of mainly vegetables from a local pub/restaurant, owned by NT but run by the local Chiltern Brewery. I only wish we had room for a bigger fridge freezer to minimise shopping.

1 hour ago, zxzoomy said:

I'm putting them in as archival, as that seems to fit better. I take reportage to mean more current events.

Eventually I'll be doing the same. So far all I've done is to move all the likely candidate neg file sheets into a 'to scan' folder.

32 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

An old Irish farmer told me "dying with more than a Euro in your pocket is bad management". Only 4 to get rid of then.

Better still. I was born with nothing, still got most of it left.

Allan

• Love 3

5 hours ago, sb photos said:

Eventually I'll be doing the same. So far all I've done is to move all the likely candidate neg file sheets into a 'to scan' folder.

Scanning takes time and can be fiddly but I've discovered stuff I'd completely forgotten. Recommended for stay at home.

20 hours ago, sb photos said:

Before the coronavirus pandemic I used to split my shops between Aldi, Sainsbury's, Tesco, Morrisons and Co-op, normally due to price or products. Now I shop more for safety, where I know there will be less shoppers at certain times and adapt meals around what is available, but it's costing more. I shopped at Sainsbury's last night, was at ease there. They had plenty of eggs but still no flour. Was told by the checkout girl that when flour arrives it sells out within the hour. We also have a weekly delivery of mainly vegetables from a local pub/restaurant, owned by NT but run by the local Chiltern Brewery. I only wish we had room for a bigger fridge freezer to minimise shopping.

Made the mistake of going early 8 am to the shops, huge queue at  Sainsbury's so headed for shorter queue at Aldi, but couldn't get all we wanted so had to go elsewhere. Still no good so returned to an empty Sainsbury's in the evening to finish the job. Tried to arrange home deliveries but can't even register at Sainsbury's, despite shopping there for years, better luck elsewhere but no slots available. It's a tad frustrating when you are told that you are in a vulnerable group but the weekly shop brings you into contact with so many people. In future no weekend shopping and evenings only.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

I envy you people who are gardening your flowers and veg. The inner city has little to offer with the lockdown. But I've had no trouble food shopping. Mostly I've been going to the large M&S Foodhall on Church Street. Their longest queue had only a 15-minute wait. Mostly there's no queue outside. Inside they have spacing marked and a short wait. Mostly, I don't find prices at M&S to be higher than at the other supermarkets. I often get items that have been reduced. I'm saving a lot never eating out now and I don't eat dinner. There's also a Tesco Express around the corner and a Boots Pharmacy near M&S. 

Am I sick of this situation and bored? It is mind numbing. On my daily walk today I didn't bring the RX100/6 with me. How many shots of empty street or restaurant signs do I need?

I did capture the Beatles statutes yesterday with no one else near them.

2BHFDG0.jpg

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I envy you people who are gardening your flowers and veg. The inner city has little to offer with the lockdown. But I've had no trouble food shopping. Mostly I've been going to the large M&S Foodhall on Church Street. Their longest queue had only a 15-minute wait. Mostly there's no queue outside. Inside they have spacing marked and a short wait. Mostly, I don't find prices at M&S to be higher than at the other supermarkets. I often get items that have been reduced. I'm saving a lot never eating out now and I don't eat dinner. There's also a Tesco Express around the corner and a Boots Pharmacy near M&S. 

Am I sick of this situation and bored? It is mind numbing. On my daily walk today I didn't bring the RX100/6 with me. How many shots of empty street or restaurant signs do I need?

I did capture the Beatles statutes yesterday with no one else near them.

2BHFDG0.jpg

They are yours to do with as you please.😃

Allan

Allan, as you might imagine, there is normally a line of tourists waiting to do snapshots of themselves in front of these statues, even in the rain. The combo of the lockdown and the lovely spring weather is opportubity. But frankly, it's an opportunity I would rather not have. 

2B26FGH.jpg

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Allan, as you might imagine, there is normally a line of tourists waiting to do snapshots of themselves in front of these statues, even in the rain. The combo of the lockdown and the lovely spring weather is opportubity. But frankly, it's an opportunity I would rather not have. 

2B26FGH.jpg

Edo I must say I prefer the photo you took from the rear. It has a kind of appeal but can't put my finger on it. Like it better than the one with the people in from the front.

Got it. The one from the front to me is a touristy shot. The one from behind tells a story. Love it.

Allan

7 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

2B26FGH.jpg

The only way I could get a photo of these guys without tourists in the shot (no matter how long I waited) when I visited Liverpool was to zoom in, but not really what I wanted.

These modern statues seem specifically designed for photo opportunities. They're on the ground, not on a plinth: down-to-earth, not grand.

Visitors to Morecambe pose next to the statue of Eric Morecambe, singing "Bring me sunshine"...

Statue of comedian Eric Morecambe on the promenade at Morecambe, Lancashire, England UK Stock Photo

• Love 1
  • Like 1