Jump to content

Post a good thing that happened in your life today


Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:


Yes, that’s my understanding too, about the foods and alcohol.  I drink very little alcohol, so no problem there.  I get blood work done every few months and they check for uric acid levels, which is what builds up in your joints, as crystals, mostly at your extremities (toes and fingers).  Since taking the Allopurinol, my uric acid levels have been in the normal range.  And yes, the pain I experienced was some of the worst I have ever felt.

 

I noticed you didn’t mention cutting out rich food. 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

😂🤣😁Alright, Allan. Martin has thrown down the gauntlet on who is the funniest.

 

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

 

Allan

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:


I have my vices 😬

I have my sweet tooth. And a small sack of fun-size snickers.

Although I’d rather eat these.

FX1JR6.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have my sweet tooth. And a small sack of fun-size snickers.

Although I’d rather eat these.

FX1JR6.jpg

 

My downfall are sweets too.  And more so in the last 5-10 year.  I usually have some chocolate and/or ice cream in the house...but rarely chocolate ice cream.  I tend to crave a sweet before bed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve had lots going on lately and have been working hard not to let the stress get to me. Late this afternoon I met up with a friend for an early bite to eat, turned off my phone and just chatted with her for 90 minutes. It was great fun to catch up! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

 

My downfall are sweets too.  And more so in the last 5-10 year.  I usually have some chocolate and/or ice cream in the house...but rarely chocolate ice cream.  I tend to crave a sweet before bed.

Not into sweets as such, nothing tastes nicer than a fresh strawberry picked from the garden, or peas fresh from the pod, but we do indulge in a couple of squares of fruit and nut dark chocolate after dinner. 

 

Yogurt  flavour ice cream is a personal favourite, which is hard to find in the UK, but a blend of cheap plain vanilla ice cream with a dollop of fat free Greek style yoghurt is almost as good. 

 

While into gastronomic indulgence, we've recently discovered the joy of flat white coffee, normally served in a sensibly small mug, unlike those great buckets of latte that the high street chains sell. Yesterday we cycled over to the village tearoom and sat outside with flat whites. The sun shone, the volunteer maintained flower beds looked great, tall trees around and there was the background hum of gentle conversation - all was well in the world.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Bryan said:

Not into sweets as such, nothing tastes nicer than a fresh strawberry picked from the garden, or peas fresh from the pod, but we do indulge in a couple of squares of fruit and nut dark chocolate after dinner. 

 

Yogurt  flavour ice cream is a personal favourite, which is hard to find in the UK, but a blend of cheap plain vanilla ice cream with a dollop of fat free Greek style yoghurt is almost as good. 

 

While into gastronomic indulgence, we've recently discovered the joy of flat white coffee, normally served in a sensibly small mug, unlike those great buckets of latte that the high street chains sell. Yesterday we cycled over to the village tearoom and sat outside with flat whites. The sun shone, the volunteer maintained flower beds looked great, tall trees around and there was the background hum of gentle conversation - all was well in the world.

What are flat whites? Plain coffee with cream?

Edited by Betty LaRue
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

What are flat whites? Plain coffee with cream?

 

More like a latte, in a cup.

 

Very nice, you are paying for the Barrista's skill in frothing the milk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

What are flat whites? Plain coffee with cream?

No cream, just espresso with frothed milk, but less than in a latte.

 

My favourite is a cortado which you could only get in Spain until a few years ago. It’s a small cup of expresso 1:1 with hot milk. More of a pick me up than a drink! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I see. Okay, get it. I make my own coffee. I drink it black, 2 cups in the a.m. and no more. I’ll spend money for a guitar, but darned if I’ll pay the prices for fancy coffee.
I tried a Latte twice. Both times it left my stomach feeling queasy. If I’m going to spend that kind of money on a drink, I’ll choose an ice cream malt or shake. Lactose intolerance and all.

Might as well get more calories for my money, hadn’t I?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter & I had lunch then went to a “Going Out of Business” sale at an antique store. I found a small covered Corning Ware casserole dish just like the one I already have and use all of the time. I can use two. The one I already have has a chip in the lid. I also found a new lid for it. I missed going down the last aisle when my back gave out, but that’s ok, I saw most of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

What are flat whites? Plain coffee with cream?

 

Normally two shots of coffee with a little milk, so stronger than a latte, but interpretation/quality varies greatly between vendors.  

 

You have to combine the coffee with the view, it's worth paying if you are sitting in a seafront café, or likewise attractive location. I wouldn't normally be buying a coffee at our local shopping centre. We use simple Moka coffee pots at home, and it is interesting to compare our home brew with that on the street.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My daughter & I had lunch then went to a “Going Out of Business” sale at an antique store. I found a small covered Corning Ware casserole dish just like the one I already have and use all of the time. I can use two. The one I already have has a chip in the lid. I also found a new lid for it. I missed going down the last aisle when my back gave out, but that’s ok, I saw most of it.

 

Wish I had known you were going I would have asked you to get something for me.

 

Allan

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A good thing that is GOING to happen in my life today is a haircut. Leaving soon don't want to be late.

 

Allan

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bryan said:

 

Normally two shots of coffee with a little milk, so stronger than a latte, but interpretation/quality varies greatly between vendors.  

 

You have to combine the coffee with the view, it's worth paying if you are sitting in a seafront café, or likewise attractive location. I wouldn't normally be buying a coffee at our local shopping centre. We use simple Moka coffee pots at home, and it is interesting to compare our home brew with that on the street.

Yes, I can certainly see the view would make it special. I envy you having access to the sea view without having to go far. I love ocean views, beaches, beachcombing, and here I am as far from any as I can get. Where I live is pretty much the very middle of the U.S. Minimum of a thousand miles from any of the oceans, and probably a good deal more. At least two days of hard driving with short overnights. I think the Gulf of Mexico (south of me) is a little closer than the Atlantic or Pacific. The U.S. is wider than taller. So probably 15-18 hours of hard driving with short rest stops to the Gulf.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Yes, I can certainly see the view would make it special. I envy you having access to the sea view without having to go far. I love ocean views, beaches, beachcombing, and here I am as far from any as I can get. Where I live is pretty much the very middle of the U.S. Minimum of a thousand miles from any of the oceans, and probably a good deal more. At least two days of hard driving with short overnights. I think the Gulf of Mexico (south of me) is a little closer than the Atlantic or Pacific. The U.S. is wider than taller. So probably 15-18 hours of hard driving with short rest stops to the Gulf.

Not sure I could live with that Betty, we are about 10 miles from the sea and it's a pleasant cycle ride along a traffic free path. 

 

When we were younger we used to race a sailing dinghy on the river Tyne estuary, and once I sailed to work with a colleague up the river Tyne to Newcastle.  It caused a bit of a stir and we had a small party gather to see us away at the end of the day. I remember thinking "mustn't capsize" as we gybed the boat around on leaving the pontoon. 

 

Our grandchildren live inland, but are always pleased to visit the beach when they stay with us - weather permitting.

Edited by Bryan
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/07/2021 at 22:49, Betty LaRue said:

I see. Okay, get it. I make my own coffee. I drink it black, 2 cups in the a.m. and no more. I’ll spend money for a guitar, but darned if I’ll pay the prices for fancy coffee.
I tried a Latte twice.

 

Me too, regarding the coffee. I've been buying French or Espresso coffee #5 at M&S lately. Also popular at coffee bars is Caffe Macchiato, espresso with a drop or two of warm milk. Outside of Italy this has become something of a Starbucks-like dessert you drink, but in Italy it is still as I stated (I think?). Macchiato mean 'stain' and it's pronounced by saying the 4 syllables in the continued sound. Otherwise it sounds Japanese. 

 

 

K7TBWD.jpg

 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Snap. I've a few of these, but never managed to sell one.  You done any better Edo ?

 

Cup, saucer and spoon, latte coffee with heart pattern on surface Stock Photo

 

Once leased a shot of a teapot and cups 🙂

 

But it got refunded 😧

 

Edited by Bryan
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

 

This cappuccino with the pastry has been a repeat best seller. No other coffee sales, however.  

 

classic-continental-breakfast-croissant-

 

Hi Edo I assume this was one of your coffee breaks. If it was I note you have a glass of water (or is it G&T) with your coffee.  I have found more and more lately that I have to have water with my coffee. Not sure why though. It just feels right.

 

Allan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Those are reasonable assumptions, Allan — not correct, however. I took that picture in Rome in 2008, the last time I was there. I was crossing Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere on my way to an old workers' restaurant right outside the building I used to live in. I noticed the ornate table in the coffee bar and order a cappuccino and cornneto to take a picture. Instead, they gave me a croissant. I ate none of it nor did I drink the coffee. My waiter was upset. I tried to explain but he thought I was nuts. Hmm.    

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

that I have to have water with my coffee. Not sure why though.

It's so you actually get something to drink. A thimbleful of coffee you can stand a spoon up in is great, but a beverage? Not sure about that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My 5 Monarch caterpillars. One in a J hook, so will be making a chrysalis in a number of hours. Another one at the top of the butterfly cage preparing to make a J hook.

3 still munching milkweed but should be doing J hooks before long. They crawl to the top of the mesh cage, lay down silk to attach their tails to the cage. Then they drop down and curl into the shape of a J. Usually within 24 hours they turn into a chrysalis.

This one did it on the milkweed last year.

2D9D3AR.jpg
To eventually do this….

2E1AP5P.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Hi Edo I assume this was one of your coffee breaks. If it was I note you have a glass of water (or is it G&T) with your coffee.  I have found more and more lately that I have to have water with my coffee. Not sure why though. It just feels right.

 

Allan

 

 

I think that’s the norm in Spain. The coffee is just for the hit of caffeine and the water is the thirst quencher served along side! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.