Jump to content

Post a good thing that happened in your life today


Recommended Posts

I am in the "images found" thread today... https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/24/arctic-ice-loss-forces-polar-bears-to-use-four-times-as-much-energy-to-survive-study  and am thrilled that I appear in the same article as Paul Nicklen. He is such a wonderful wildlife photographer. I met him a few times when he had a gallery in Soho and he is just as nice as his work is beautiful.

 

Paulette

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Betty's story reminds me of the occasion when we to Spain for a holiday and my case failed to arrive. Trying to buy undies in a remote holiday resort proved to be challenging, it caused more than a degree of mirth amongst the friends we were travelling with. Since then we have always ensured that our clothes are distributed between the two cases, with emergency supplies in the hand luggage. Fortunately my stuff did reach our hotel after a couple of days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

 

Yes! One of the biggest reasons I wanted to get this house I'm in , I HATE moving!  Your story is very funny and I think you mentioned your "unmentionables" a half dozen times 😅

Well....if you want to drive a point home....:D 

My 50 pairs of shoes made it, so all is good. I think I sold 25 pair in the garage sale. My problem is like before the pandemic started. There was a 1-day unadvertised sale at Penny’s for ankle boots. $60-80 boots for about $13 a pair. I just happened to go in for something else and saw the signs. I bought three pair for less than I would have paid for one pair, regular price. HOOO-HA. The next day they were back to full price.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got one cat, Maude, and Lola the dog to the vet for vaccines and parasite control for the cat and second consultation for the dog.  Luis, my helper, treated his cat wounds with iodine when he got back.  One cat, Belle, left to go, but she doesn't jump up on shower curtain rods headed to the space between the ceiling tiles when she senses a trip to the vet is coming.   The vet asked about Maude's eye and Luis told her it's always been that way (cataract and deformed slightly).

 

Lola is ten years old, spayed, and incontinence is a problem for geriatric spayed female dogs, the vet said.  The vet prescribed more vitamins.  Someone sold all the vets in Jinotega a large supply of vitamins in the shape of tiny dog bones that none of my critters will eat.  C$1500 or roughly $43 US for everything for both animals.  Luis got combat pay for the vet trip, and lunch and pay for doing the cleaning and laundry. 

 

Tomorrow, Luis goes shopping for his old ladies.   I'll get ten cans of cat food to get the vitamins down the dog and feed the cats one special meal a day for ten days.

 

Glad we got two of them in to see the vet.  Next week, I'll send Belle in. 

 

There's been a cat virus going around, and two of the neighbor's cats caught it.  One is the cat who comes over here to eat and hang out a bit, but my girls probably were protected by an early cat vaccine.  Time for a booster, though.  The cats here all tend to be indoor outdoor cats and all interact from time to time with feral cats.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NYCat said:

I am in the "images found" thread today... https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/24/arctic-ice-loss-forces-polar-bears-to-use-four-times-as-much-energy-to-survive-study  and am thrilled that I appear in the same article as Paul Nicklen. He is such a wonderful wildlife photographer. I met him a few times when he had a gallery in Soho and he is just as nice as his work is beautiful.

 

Paulette

Wow, fantastic news Paulette...

 

Carol

Edited by CAROL SAUNDERS
wording
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Betty's story reminds me of the occasion when we to Spain for a holiday and my case failed to arrive. Trying to buy undies in a remote holiday resort proved to be challenging, it caused more than a degree of mirth amongst the friends we were travelling with. Since then we have always ensured that our clothes are distributed between the two cases, with emergency supplies in the hand luggage. Fortunately my stuff did reach our hotel after a couple of days.

It hasn't happened to me but it's always a worry, though I try to remember to put a few pairs of undies in with my camera gear😁  At the moment it's not a problem as my passport thinks I'm in jail - come to think of it I think I'm in jail😉

 

Carol

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NYCat said:

I am in the "images found" thread today... https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/24/arctic-ice-loss-forces-polar-bears-to-use-four-times-as-much-energy-to-survive-study  and am thrilled that I appear in the same article as Paul Nicklen. He is such a wonderful wildlife photographer. I met him a few times when he had a gallery in Soho and he is just as nice as his work is beautiful.

 

Paulette


Love Paul Nicklen’s photos, I follow his Instagram, just stunning work.  Paul is in good company with you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Wow, fantastic news Paulette...

 

Carol

 

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

I am in the "images found" thread today... https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/24/arctic-ice-loss-forces-polar-bears-to-use-four-times-as-much-energy-to-survive-study  and am thrilled that I appear in the same article as Paul Nicklen. He is such a wonderful wildlife photographer. I met him a few times when he had a gallery in Soho and he is just as nice as his work is beautiful.

 

Paulette

Thrilling news!

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:


Love Paul Nicklen’s photos, I follow his Instagram, just stunning work.  Paul is in good company with you!

 

Oh, thank you, Michael but he is in a class way beyond me. Have you seen his Ted Talk?  

 

Paulette

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NYCat said:

I am in the "images found" thread today... https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/24/arctic-ice-loss-forces-polar-bears-to-use-four-times-as-much-energy-to-survive-study  and am thrilled that I appear in the same article as Paul Nicklen. He is such a wonderful wildlife photographer. I met him a few times when he had a gallery in Soho and he is just as nice as his work is beautiful.

 

Paulette

 

Fabulous news Paulette! I can understand you're thrilled.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a beautiful little mourning dove on my windowsill this morning. I heard it calling and it sounded close but I made the mistake of thinking it was in the garden so I moved up to the window without realizing it was right in front of me on the sill. It didn't fly away right away but once it saw me it stopped calling and then decided to leave me. Such a lovely creature.

 

Paulette

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Just had a note through the door, CENSUS is coming 21st March so make sure you are at home. OH! We are!

 

They are looking for you too Edo.

 

I believe that this will be the last census of its kind in the UK as they now can trawl the web to get all the information they need.

 

Allan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The trip to Lady Musgrave Island on the Great Barrier Reef yesterday was out of this world. I am still under the spell.

First we went snorkelling over the reef, then did a glass bottom boat ride where we saw turtles, then a walk on the island where a colony of white-capped noddies are currently nesting.

Wow! Another jewel in the crown of Australia.

Shame I can't upload my GoPro pictures to Alamy, I like them.

 

https://www.facebook.com/gen.froggie/posts/10222394824253077

 

For those into marine biology, our guide informed us of an interesting fact... The beche de mer, or sea cucumber, has a fish that lives in its bottom and darts out for prey. If no prey, the fish consoles itself by nibbling the sea slug's internal sexual organs. Charming postal address....

 

 

Edited by gvallee
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/02/2021 at 23:00, Bryan said:

Betty's story reminds me of the occasion when we to Spain for a holiday and my case failed to arrive. 

My story should be in the bad things thread really! We were picked up by a friend at Barcelona airport some years ago. Just as he started the car a man ran in front of us pointing under the car and saying a cat was under it. While he distracted us someone else opened the boot and took my case. So I had nothing at all for a 4 day stay until we took a trip to M&S.

The thief got some women’s clothing and two packs of hot cross buns....

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gvallee said:

The trip to Lady Musgrave Island on the Great Barrier Reef yesterday was out of this world. I am still under the spell.

First we went snorkelling over the reef, then did a glass bottom boat ride where we saw turtles, then a walk on the island where a colony of white-capped noddies are currently nesting.

Wow! Another jewel in the crown of Australia.

Shame I can't upload my GoPro pictures to Alamy, I like them.

 

https://www.facebook.com/gen.froggie/posts/10222394824253077

 

For those into marine biology, our guide informed us of an interesting fact... The beche de mer, or sea cucumber, has a fish that lives in its bottom and darts out for prey. If no prey, the fish consoles itself by nibbling the sea slug's internal sexual organs. Charming postal address....

 

Love the GoPro images Gen. The colours are fantastic. Yes it is a shame you can't upload them to Alamy. The story about the sea cucumber and its tenant is hilarious 😂  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/02/2021 at 23:00, Bryan said:

Betty's story reminds me of the occasion when we to Spain for a holiday and my case failed to arrive. Trying to buy undies in a remote holiday resort proved to be challenging, it caused more than a degree of mirth amongst the friends we were travelling with. Since then we have always ensured that our clothes are distributed between the two cases, with emergency supplies in the hand luggage. Fortunately my stuff did reach our hotel after a couple of days.

I haven't checked baggage in the EU for years- it costs extra. So it goes under the seat or in the overhead if I get lucky.

Only the wine get checked ;)

Edited by spacecadet
Link to post
Share on other sites

My son is on the road to Kansas driving a U-Haul with all of his belongings, with my son-in-law, who flew to Alabama to help him, driving my son’s truck. His new job starts March 15th. 
I’ll soon have 2 of my 3 kids living in Kansas. The other less than 3 hours away.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My son is on the road to Kansas driving a U-Haul with all of his belongings, with my son-in-law, who flew to Alabama to help him, driving my son’s truck. His new job starts March 15th. 
I’ll soon have 2 of my 3 kids living in Kansas. The other less than 3 hours away.

 

I am sure that is a great feeling to have.  Having my kids close is real comforting.  I see them as much as I can.  My daughter dropped by the other day, and surprised me with some take out from my fave Thai restaurant in Northern Virginia.  She went there with her entire firehouse shift (after they got off their shift), she works one night a week as a volunteer firefighter/EMT at the firehouse just down the road.

 

It will be wonderful to have at two of the three close to you!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Spent the afternoon at the allotment, did some useful things but then got into socially distanced conversation with a couple of other gardeners.

 

One revealed that his uncle used to be the head gardener at Roundhay park in Leeds, and that his family was kept supplied with rose bushes as they cleared the beds each year. Our elder son lived near the park, so I know it well. Like many public gardens, they have cut back on the planting, it's now just grass and trees, but with a large lake, children's play facilities and a good café, still a lovely place to visit.  Not being one to miss an opportunity, I've sold a few photos taken there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bryan said:

Spent the afternoon at the allotment, did some useful things but then got into socially distanced conversation with a couple of other gardeners.

 

One revealed that his uncle used to be the head gardener at Roundhay park in Leeds, and that his family was kept supplied with rose bushes as they cleared the beds each year. Our elder son lived near the park, so I know it well. Like many public gardens, they have cut back on the planting, it's now just grass and trees, but with a large lake, children's play facilities and a good café, still a lovely place to visit.  Not being one to miss an opportunity, I've sold a few photos taken there.

 

We used to go to Roundhay Park when I was little, my Aunty Alice lived close by!!  We would go by train from Rochdale to Leeds. There were still trams in the city then. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

 

We used to go to Roundhay Park when I was little, my Aunty Alice lived close by!!  We would go by train from Rochdale to Leeds. There were still trams in the city then. 

 

Leeds desperately needs to have the trams back, the traffic is a nightmare!  Can't help but feel that they are falling further behind Manchester which has such a buzz to it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bryan said:

 

Leeds desperately needs to have the trams back, the traffic is a nightmare!  Can't help but feel that they are falling further behind Manchester which has such a buzz to it.

Our son lives in Sheffield which is a great city...and has trams! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had an interesting weekend, great weather for walking and photography. Walked around a local village Sunday and a canal walk on Saturday. Also booked 3 days away in Somerset for my birthday break. Hopefully the lockdown relaxation will remain on schedule.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/02/2021 at 01:15, NYCat said:

 

Oh, thank you, Michael but he is in a class way beyond me. Have you seen his Ted Talk?  

 

Paulette

 

 

 

Just watched this and it's made my day. Thanks for posting this Paulette. 😃

Edited by Dave Richards
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.