Post a good thing that happened in your life today

9 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Blue Crab 1: Crikey here comes another photographer!

Blue Crab 2: Hurry hide the Unicycles!

Blue Crab 3: Where?

Blue Crab 2: Behind the Zylophones like last time ! Hurry she's getting close!

Blue Crab 1: We've got no time!

Blue Crab 2: We'll need a diversion! You lot head for the water, you over there go off on your own and you chaps do that zig zig thing... We may just get away with it...

Ahhh Lockdown!

Love it! 

Our 3 day lockdown has been lifted but we're still a hotspot, so can't leave the area without a 14 day quarantine. Never mind, I'll keep annoying those crabs.

5 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Pretty for crabs they are. But not as attractive as those birds that lived in your garden on the Gold Coast.

Australia is the place for abundant and unique wildlife. Here in Liverpool, the best I can do is snap the take-away line at Greggs. 

My place was in Far North Queensland where there is a mammoth monsoon right now. Yes, wildlife in the garden was amazing. Right now near Brisbane, I can hear bats in the tree above us. Earlier the cacophony of corellas was unbelievable. 

I hope things improve for you soon Edo and everyone in the UK. How is your arm??

Edo have you heard anything about getting a vaccine yet?

Allan

I got a confirmation email for an appointment for the hoped-for vaccination on Feb 12. I also made an appointment for the second dose but they were not offering the date I really needed yet so the best I could do was for two weeks after the first. Too soon and I'll have to change it as soon as more dates open up. A cat-sitting client had called me last night to tell me the appointments were available. We were just opened up for 75 years and older. New York has not been doing a good job so far and fingers crossed that they don't run out of vaccine. So exciting to think there could be an end to all this. I hope you all can get your vaccinations soon.

Paulette

• Like 4

I was able to get an appointment for the first dose of the Moderna vaccine for tomorrow - Jan 13.  I heard they were opening up for age 75 and older yesterday afternoon, and went on line to check the schedule right after they announced it.  Definitely a lucky day!  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, NYCat said:

I got a confirmation email for an appointment for the hoped-for vaccination on Feb 12. I also made an appointment for the second dose but they were not offering the date I really needed yet so the best I could do was for two weeks after the first. Too soon and I'll have to change it as soon as more dates open up. A cat-sitting client had called me last night to tell me the appointments were available. We were just opened up for 75 years and older. New York has not been doing a good job so far and fingers crossed that they don't run out of vaccine. So exciting to think there could be an end to all this. I hope you all can get your vaccinations soon.

Paulette

Hi Paulette, I am 75 EEEeek! and have not heard a thing yet but in the uk I think 70 and over are in the fourth rank. Over 80's, NHS and other health workers, care home residents and a few others come before. Also the rollout is not happening as quickly as we were given to believe.

Don't get too excited about the end being in site. The covid virus is going to be with us well into the future in one form or another. I foresee annual vaccination programs for the bug in all or any of it's forms for many years to come if not forever. Just like the flu vaccine we already have.

Allan

51 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Don't get too excited about the end being in site. The covid virus is going to be with us well into the future in one form or another. I foresee annual vaccination programs for the bug in all or any of it's forms for many years to come if not forever. Just like the flu vaccine we already have.

Allan

Oh yes, but businesses don't usually close because of seasonal flu. It is so sad in NYC these days. Some places are only closed temporarily but many, many are gone for good and I wonder about the owners and the people who worked there. 

Paulette

Edited by NYCat
  • Sad 2
10 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Here in Liverpool, the best I can do is snap the take-away line at Greggs. 

I'm missing worshipping at the shrine of Gregg during lockdown, they do lovely coffee. Passing time baking stotties to Greggs recipe, gradually homing in on the required procedure. They go well with the wife's home made soup. My mate has an electric fan assisted oven, and he makes rather special stotties that I can only dream of replicating with our gas age cooker.

How are you doing Edo, arm/vaccination, life ?

• Like 1

I haven't been contacted about my jab yet, Bryan. My arm is better, but not normal. I think normal will be a while. Life is what it is. Since Gregg does only takeaway, they are open near me. And the supermarkets are open. My stock shooting? I'm done taking pictures of empty streets. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
On 09/01/2021 at 21:07, Michael Ventura said:

I spent some time with my daughter today.  Went shopping with her, she bought a nice chair for her home and we both got groceries. She has not been working with Covid patients directly lately and is due for her second dose of the Moderna vaccine this coming week, so that is good!  She said that last night, she had patient who was one of the rioters who stormed the Capitol building.  He had suffered a heart attack in the process.  Police have been keeping an eye on him while he is recovering. Her job is never boring, that’s for sure.

At least two fifty something guys died from cardio-vascular events (stroke in one case) from the sheer overload on systems suffering from high blood pressure.   I know when I was out photographing in 2018 here, my heart was racing and my adrenaline was spiking. 

I've heard that Nicaragua will be getting the vaccine in March.   I've seen more people masking again than in the last couple weeks, so am waiting to see what the official health report from the government is and also what various friends have seen in their areas.

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I haven't been contacted about my jab yet, Bryan. My arm is better, but not normal. I think normal will be a while. Life is what it is. Since Gregg does only takeaway, they are open near me. And the supermarkets are open. My stock shooting? I'm done taking pictures of empty streets. 

Edo, it was more than a year before I felt that my arm was pretty close to normal.  I don't think it will ever be 100% normal but it is close enough now.

Yeah, Michael — but you had one hell of a break.

One person at the fracture unit told me what you just said; total recovery might take a year and it might not be really total. Like everyone now, I'm doing the best I can. I'm not depressed and I'm not feeling sorry for myself. But I am stressed. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yeah, Michael — but you had one hell of a break.

One person at the fracture unit told me what you just said; total recovery might take a year and it might not be really total. Like everyone now, I'm doing the best I can. I'm not depressed and I'm not feeling sorry for myself. But I am stressed. 

I’m sure you feel bad luck has been walking in your shadow for a few years, ever since the fire. I know I would feel that way. Learning the ins and outs of a new country, (I know you were there once, but not in Liverpool) Pandemic, broken arm, and I’m sure there are other things. All I can say is you must be made of steel.

Are you still putting up with alarms going off in the night, or whatever it was?

Ah, Betty — there's a good thing! Or rather the discontinuing of a bad thing. No false alarms for almost two months. 😃

Now if they could only keep the elevator running, figure out why I can't use WiFi, and come up with a way packages could be left in the unmanned lobby, my life here would be semi-normal. 

The newest lockdown seems soooo serious. McD has stopped doing pickups and the very popular Asian chicken place has also. I spoke with two Uber bike delivery guys. They said business has all but disappeared. Hard times. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 2
34 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Ah, Betty — there's a good thing! Or rather the discontinuing of a bad thing. No false alarms for almost two months. 😃

Now if they could only keep the elevator running, figure out why I can't use WiFi, and come up with a way packages could be left in the unmanned lobby, my life here would be semi-normal. 

The newest lockdown seems soooo serious. McD has stopped doing pickups and the very popular Asian chicken place has also. I spoke with two Uber bike delivery guys. They said business has all but disappeared. Hard times. 

Good news on the alarms. I can’t imagine trying to manage the pain of a broken bone, then when you attain some sort of restless sleep, being awakened by an alarm.

I hope the infections lessen soon, and things get more manageable on that front.

A nice thing for me is it is just breaking dawn here in Kansas, and I’m seeing beautiful colors painting the sky. Sometimes we need to find joy in the smallest things. I was awakened with severe pain in my back this morning and was forced to get up two hours before normal. I fetched my newspaper in the pitch dark.
I’m on my second cup of coffee, which is the cup I add elderberry liquid for my immune system. My eyes are still bleary, so I’m waiting for the caffeine to kick in. Y’all are probably having lunch about now or just past.

Yesterday, with Echo on my shoulder, I played an African Gray video for her on my iPad. She loved it, and leaned forward to beak the other bird. I filmed her several times.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

A nice thing for me is it is just breaking dawn here in Kansas, and I’m seeing beautiful colors painting the sky.

That creates a lovely picture Betty. Here in Western Australia it is 11:30pm at night with an easterly wind blowing which indicates a warm to hot day tomorrow. Amazing to think some of you are just waking now and I'm about to go to bed.

My good thing is finding small, positive healing things. I've had an extremely rough couple of weeks (without going into specifics), and I appreciate small things more than ever that make life bearable - a nice cup of tea, talking to my kind aunty today on the phone etc. I'm thankful too for this thread about good things too and the friendly contributors.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
16 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Take care Ed and sending you best wishes from here in the southern hemisphere to the UK.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sally R said:

That creates a lovely picture Betty. Here in Western Australia it is 11:30pm at night with an easterly wind blowing which indicates a warm to hot day tomorrow. Amazing to think some of you are just waking now and I'm about to go to bed.

My good thing is finding small, positive healing things. I've had an extremely rough couple of weeks (without going into specifics), and I appreciate small things more than ever that make life bearable - a nice cup of tea, talking to my kind aunty today on the phone etc. I'm thankful too for this thread about good things too and the friendly contributors.

Tomorrow and the next day will be hang onto your hat days. They are talking about 60mph wind gusts. (96.5km?)

I think I won’t look outside for joy. Maybe clean my refrigerator! :P

• Like 2

I managed an appropriate appointment for my 2nd dose of the vaccine. It's a bit of a madhouse in NYC with opening up to people 65 and older. The more the better as far as I'm concerned. I just hope they don't run out ........ 

Paulette

• Like 4
10 hours ago, NYCat said:

I managed an appropriate appointment for my 2nd dose of the vaccine. It's a bit of a madhouse in NYC with opening up to people 65 and older. The more the better as far as I'm concerned. I just hope they don't run out ........ 

Paulette

Good for you. It’s interesting seeing how the states are handling it differently.

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Good for you. It’s interesting seeing how the states are handling it differently.

Yes. West Virginia, the Dakotas and Alaska have moved swiftly. It looks like New York and Kansas are going at about the same rate. Let's hope it all evens out. I worry about California. I have friends and relatives there. The hospitals have been overwhelmed with cases.

Paulette

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

Yes. West Virginia, the Dakotas and Alaska have moved swiftly. It looks like New York and Kansas are going at about the same rate. Let's hope it all evens out. I worry about California. I have friends and relatives there. The hospitals have been overwhelmed with cases.

Paulette

Our ICU beds are full, but over the last couple of months, maybe three-four months, our positivity test rate has gone from 24% to 10.8%. Holiday gathering infections should clear before too long and then I’m hoping the hospitals won’t be so overwhelmed. Those numbers are county numbers, not state.

The government in Kansas doesn’t have a clue about getting the vaccine out in a timely manner.

We have a situation here where a surgery for one area has completed there higher tier vaccinations and want to start on the next lower tier but are being told to wait as the adjacent area surgeries have not completed the higher tiers yet.😲

Allan

Just had my flu vaccination. I wasn't old enough, but this time the age limit came down to 50- so I am.

Being poked with a fork would have hurt more. They don't even do the sterile swab now- the pharmacist said it was never necessary.

And as for it not hurting- one study suggested that it hurt more if you were swabbed- it was the sting of the alcohol being injected! So much for that old myth.

30 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Just had my flu vaccination. I wasn't old enough, but this time the age limit came down to 50- so I am.

Being poked with a fork would have hurt more. They don't even do the sterile swab now- the pharmacist said it was never necessary.

And as for it not hurting- one study suggested that it hurt more if you were swabbed- it was the sting of the alcohol being injected! So much for that old myth.

Wait till tomorrow, some times I've had mild symptoms, some times a sore arm, always nothing to worry about and certainly nothing to deter getting a jab.