Jump to content

Post a good thing that happened in your life today


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

ūüć∑.

 

I've left sanity behind!

I’ll bet you miss 2 Buck Chuck, don’t you? Kansas’s Trader Joe’s doesn’t sell wine and I’ve never got to experience their wine. I think it can be sold in Oklahoma now, but I’m not there. I know the law passed two years ago in the vote. I’m not sure there was a Trader Joe’s in Oklahoma City when I left. If there was in wasn’t easily accessible from where I lived, and wine wouldn’t have been sold anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm making a pear bourbon pie for Thanksgiving. I love baking pies, but eating them even more. So after seeing your pie photos Betty and Thrysis, and your pie story Bryan, you all got me thinking about eating the pear bourbon pie for desert on Thanksgiving with a leftover piece for breakfast on Friday - and those thoughts are the good things that happened to me today.  Thanks gang!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Marianne said:

....eating the pear bourbon pie for desert on Thanksgiving with a leftover piece for breakfast on Friday....

 

The leftovers always taste the best!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

And I’ll be making a blueberry pie, special request by my son.

One of the absolutely best lunches I ever had was in Bar Harbor, Maine. Clam chowder and blueberry pie. They each were exquisite. I usually like pies with fruit that has a bit more tartness than blueberry because sugared up, they still have more flavor. But that blueberry pie....ummmm

Link to post
Share on other sites

Betty, it’s the only fruit pie I like, so am glad about his request. Since we’re the only family who will be in town next Thursday for Thanksgiving, we plan to meet in a green space somewhere and have a Turkey sandwich, blueberry pie picnic. 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at what you lot made me upload. This was our lunch yesterday.

Gourmet smoked salmon, avocado, capers, red onions, toast, balsamic dressing. Who's joining me?

 

2DCF8NK.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gvallee said:

Look at what you lot made me upload. This was our lunch yesterday.

Gourmet smoked salmon, avocado, capers, red onions, toast, balsamic dressing. Who's joining me?

 

2DCF8NK.jpg

 

YUM

Allan

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thames water were investigating a drop in water pressure and decided to dig up the pavement and go down about 4 - 5 feet literally outside my house. Although I was going out I had time to chat with the 2 workers and take a few photographs. I then took a 14 km exercise stroll shooting some stock and reportage. The sun even came out for 20 minutes. Quite a nice productive afternoon.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I managed to shampoo my hair with one hand in the kitchen sink this morning, a major victory!

 

One of my last best friends from my Rome days lives in Bar Harbour, Betty. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I managed to shampoo my hair with one hand in the kitchen sink this morning, a major victory!

 

 

Ed, everybody gets a ūüėÄ from me nowadays regardless. I decided months ago that extra larfs wouldn't hurt.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I managed to shampoo my hair with one hand in the kitchen sink this morning, a major victory!

 

One of my last best friends from my Rome days lives in Bar Harbour, Betty. 

 

Which one.ūüėą

 

Allan

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Which one.ūüėą

 

Allan

 

 

 

 

Look after yerself Edo. ūüėČ

Edited by Mr Standfast
Silly
Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter’s rental house had a new refrigerator delivered, the old one was not cooling very well.  The company that delivered it, plugged it in and left.  Only one little problem, the doors opened towards the living room, not the kitchen.  So she called dad.  I went over with my toolbox and homemade veggie soup I made this morning and managed to switch the hinges so it opened the right way for her kitchen layout.  These new fridges are much more complicated then the last time I did that.  Luckily she did not have any ice maker in the door or it would have been beyond my skill set.  Anyway, it was nice to spend time with her, which is rare these days since she works night shifts only.

 

I should add that we both wore masks the whole time.

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for you, Michael! I’m guessing your daughter appreciated your ability to make the change! My daughter has lived in four different apartments since 2014 and, in and every single one, the refrigerator doors have opened on the wrong side. It would drive me nuts, but doesn’t seem to bother my daughter one little bit. I guess she’s used to it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

Good for you, Michael! I’m guessing your daughter appreciated your ability to make the change! My daughter has lived in four different apartments since 2014 and, in and every single one, the refrigerator doors have opened on the wrong side. It would drive me nuts, but doesn’t seem to bother my daughter one little bit. I guess she’s used to it.

Mine is a 4 door. Upper split into two side-by-side doors, then a middle pull-out drawer, then bottom pull out freezer. It avoids a big single door. Works well. Might say it‚Äôs ambidextrous! ūüėČ

The one before this one (also a different house) swung out wrong, too, but I didn’t have someone handy like you, Michael.  From past experience, I knew better than to ask my husband to switch it. He was handy with a lot of things, but that was out of his wheelhouse. The part of the door close to the hinge sort of crunched a door frame when opened wide and I had to tape a strip of sponge on the woodwork so it wouldn’t mark my refrigerator door.
Same thing, the two guys plunked it down and I forgot to pay attention. My bad.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

THREE good things happened today. 

 

1) We have had a problem with a weep from the inlet connection on one of our toilet cisterns. I've tried to source a new washer in the past but the big DIY stores don't stock the size. However I did a bit of research on T'Net and found that plumbers use a length of PTFE tape twisted into a spiral and then wound around the base of the connector. Tried it, it failed the first time. Added more tape and, Voila, no leak!  I took the old washer to a specialist plumbing supplier and they provided me with a shed load of spares, so any more leaks, bring em on....

 

2) It being a miserable dull day, I went to the allotment intending to throw some of the muck heap over to aerate it and make room for fresh supplies. Managed to shift the entire heap and then wheeled in about 12 barrowloads of new muck, job not finished, but very good progress.

 

3) While at the allotment our No. 2 son phoned asking for advice on planting a tree. Makes an old guy feel useful when the offspring still ask for help !

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bryan said:

THREE good things happened today. 

 

1) We have had a problem with a weep from the inlet connection on one of our toilet cisterns. I've tried to source a new washer in the past but the big DIY stores don't stock the size. However I did a bit of research on T'Net and found that plumbers use a length of PTFE tape twisted into a spiral and then wound around the base of the connector. Tried it, it failed the first time. Added more tape and, Voila, no leak!  I took the old washer to a specialist plumbing supplier and they provided me with a shed load of spares, so any more leaks, bring em on....

 

2) It being a miserable dull day, I went to the allotment intending to throw some of the muck heap over to aerate it and make room for fresh supplies. Managed to shift the entire heap and then wheeled in about 12 barrowloads of new muck, job not finished, but very good progress.

 

3) While at the allotment our No. 2 son phoned asking for advice on planting a tree. Makes an old guy feel useful when the offspring still ask for help !

Plumbing repair is tough. So many times you try to fix what is wrong and you break the thing next to it.
My husband hated it. He fixed pipes under the kitchen sink once, but not very well. There was a catastrophic fail while I was fixing Christmas dinner. I put some garbage through the disposal, and the pipes came loose. So I had flooding and garbage under the sink spilling across my freshly waxed floor. Not only did I have a colossal mess to clean up, but my sink was out of commission right when I needed it most.

I called a plumber from then on.

Good for you, Bryan. Come across the pond. I have work for you. :D By any chance, do you do electrician work? I need at least 3 more outlets.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Plumbing repair is tough. So many times you try to fix what is wrong and you break the thing next to it.
My husband hated it. He fixed pipes under the kitchen sink once, but not very well. There was a catastrophic fail while I was fixing Christmas dinner. I put some garbage through the disposal, and the pipes came loose. So I had flooding and garbage under the sink spilling across my freshly waxed floor. Not only did I have a colossal mess to clean up, but my sink was out of commission right when I needed it most.

I called a plumber from then on.

Good for you, Bryan. Come across the pond. I have work for you. :D By any chance, do you do electrician work? I need at least 3 more outlets.

Oh dear, plumbing can go catastrophically wrong !  You can get local isolating valves on every feed, but our house, although sound, was very much a no frills job, so no way to locally isolate the taps etc and far too few electrical outlets.

 

Our  first house was an old stone built cottage, with no plumbed hot water or central heating and aged electrics. With the enthusiasm and foolishness of youth, I rewired  and plumbed the  lot, learning some hard lessons on the way. Our younger son is near the end of a major refurbishment of a large Victorian terraced house so this degree of idiocy runs in the family.

 

These¬† days I've lost that level of confidence and tend only to do what is absolutely necessary, so while I would relish another trip to the States, fixing pipes or wiring sockets would be low on the agenda!¬† ūüėč

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bryan said:

 

 

Our  first house was an old stone built cottage, with no plumbed hot water or central heating and aged electrics. With the enthusiasm and foolishness of youth, I rewired  and plumbed the  lot, learning some hard lessons on the way. Our younger son is near the end of a major refurbishment of a large Victorian terraced house so this degree of idiocy runs in the family.

 

 

Our first house was a Victorian terrace in London. No electricity at all, it still had gas mantles and a copper for heating water!

Ian did most of the plumbing and electrics himself with the aid of the ‚ÄėReaders Digest Home Maintenance‚Äô manual!¬†

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

 

Ian did most of the plumbing and electrics himself with the aid of the ‚ÄėReaders Digest Home Maintenance‚Äô manual!¬†

 

 

Yes also my bible at the time !  Our house had a kitchen range for cooking, i.e. an oven next to the coal fire. We did try to use it but after producing rice pudding with a layer of soot, we gave up and I wired a second hand electric cooker directly to the meter in the living room.  At that time local authorities maintained public bath houses, not a swimming pool, so we were able to take a weekly bath courtesy of Wigan council. Lived like that for months. Our property had no gas supply so we ended up with a coal fired central heating boiler.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Bryan said:

  At that time local authorities maintained public bath houses, not a swimming pool, so we were able to take a weekly bath courtesy of Wigan council.

Between getting married and buying the house, Ian and another photographer converted an old Sunday School building in Chiswick into a studio and living space. At first the darkroom sink was the only place to wash so we used to go home to my parents at the weekend for a bath! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.