Post a good thing that happened in your life today

51 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

Dominic Cummings left Downing street for good. Should have been sacked months ago after his Covid excursion..

Politics in this happy feel good thread. Ah who cares. They are not mutually exclusive. Actually is he jumping ship before the real chaos starts in the new year? They say he is the architect of the whole unmentionable thing that is about to happen. And they thought Covid-19 was bad. 

OK a day late but congratulations to Scotland on finally qualifying for the Euros. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, MDM said:

Politics in this happy feel good thread. Ah who cares. They are not mutually exclusive. Actually is he jumping ship before the real chaos starts in the new year? They say he is the architect of the whole unmentionable thing that is about to happen. And they thought Covid-19 was bad. 

OK a day late but congratulations to Scotland on finally qualifying for the Euros. 

Well it made me happy today. 😊 Trump and Cummings in a week?  Almost a Carling moment. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Bryan said:

Summer temperatures more moderate over here Betty, (not to mention our summer rainfall) our muck heap steams gently as it breaks down, on cold days you can see the mist rising. 

I have always acted on the advice that you need to leave it for at least a year before applying to plants, but some of our newer gardeners pile the stuff on in its nearly raw state. I have experimented with partially rotted muck and potatoes and they seemed to do OK. Older hands say that the longer you leave it the less problem you have with weeds.

The hotter the pile gets, the better those weed seeds are killed! :)

Woke up, got up, got washed and dressed, had breakfast, washed the dishes and put hem away, made the bed, switch the computer on, came on the forums, hey I'm still alive.

Allan

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
16 hours ago, MDM said:

Politics in this happy feel good thread. Ah who cares.

Apparently only a certain kind of politics, in a certain quarter, is objectionable.;)

On the way to the Cinema Museum I found a fix for my major going-out-and travelling-as-you-do-in-the-real-world type bugbear.

If you put your specs on  top of the mask instead of just above they don't steam up. Still hot and steamy but away from the loathsome-claustrophobic borderline.

This is definitely a Good Thing.

DSC06012.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Apparently only a certain kind of politics, in a certain quarter, is objectionable.;)

On the way to the Cinema Museum I found a fix for my major going-out-and travelling-as-you-do-in-the-real-world type bugbear.

If you put your specs on  top of the mask instead of just above they don't steam up. Still hot and steamy but away from the loathsome-claustrophobic borderline.

Indeed and useful to know. The one good thing about wearing a mask is that it it pleasantly warm about the gills when the weather is cold. 

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Indeed and useful to know. The one good thing about wearing a mask is that it it pleasantly warm about the gills when the weather is cold. 

I haven't needed the warm gills down here yet. But I should point out that pushing the specs out like this is sub-optimal optically and you may end up having to lift your head a bit to see important stuff, such as steps. Also remember to push the glasses back up the nose before dropping the mask or they will go for a Burton- I can't use ear loops for that reason.

Edited by spacecadet
3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Woke up, got up, got washed and dressed, had breakfast, washed the dishes and put hem away, made the bed, switch the computer on, came on the forums, hey I'm still alive.

Allan

Unless all of this is a nice/bad dream...

😂

Where's my spinning top?

Spinning Top GIF - Spinning Top Inception GIFs

(from Inception)

wim

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Definitely the way to go.  if you look closely at my avatar picture, I have the shades just on the top of the mask, enough to prevent steaming (unless I get into a heated political discussion 😎).

Edited by MDM
8 minutes ago, MDM said:

Definitely the way to go.  if you look closely at my avatar picture, I have the shades just on the top of the mask, enough to prevent steaming (unless I get into a heated political discussion 😎).

😎Ah but I found that wasn't enough with my sort of frame. The nosepiece has to go over the top seam of the mask.

It was a serendipity on the Tube- I noticed that the lenses steamed from the top so just pushed them forward a bit. In the warmer weather the Fairy liquid or Calotherm cloth trick had been enough, but not in November.

It's possible that there's a mask you can buy that would suit, but what with the vanishing income buying stuff isn't really on ATM, and anyway ours were made by the Beautiful Daughter so that's not going to happen.

Edited by spacecadet
1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

It's possible that there's a mask you can buy that would suit, but what with the vanishing income buying stuff isn't really on ATM, and anyway ours were made by the Beautiful Daughter so that's not going to happen.

I’ve made loads of masks for friends and family, all with head elastic which I think is more comfortable than ear elastic. All made from stuff I got from my mum’s sewing collection when I cleared out her house so all made at no cost! 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Unless all of this is a nice/bad dream...

😂

Where's my spinning top?

Spinning Top GIF - Spinning Top Inception GIFs

(from Inception)

wim

At £50 a go I think I will skip it.

Allan

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

I’ve made loads of masks for friends and family, all with head elastic which I think is more comfortable than ear elastic. All made from stuff I got from my mum’s sewing collection when I cleared out her house so all made at no cost! 

I think we will all look like Dumbo with protruding ears by the end of this.

Paulette

I’m not sure head elastic works well for the follicularly challenged. When snorkeling, I had no trouble with the mask. But hubs, with not a lot of hair, the back strap of the mask kept sliding down then he got water seeping in.  I finally bought him a nice small-billed hat for the strap to grab onto. He wore it with the bill in the back, and it worked great.

13 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Don’t poke the bear. Not one time during this election have I mentioned politics other than to ask they not be discussed. No matter which side of the aisle you are on.

I’m sick of your snide slurs, and you know who you are.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

My gloves fell out of my pocket and a kind gentleman not only told me but picked them up for me. One of those small kindnesses that brighten one's day.

Paulette

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 14/11/2020 at 19:12, NYCat said:

I think we will all look like Dumbo with protruding ears by the end of this.

Paulette

on your safaris, have you ever seen an elephant fly?

6 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I've seen a horse fly.

Allan

Two men talking.

One muses "why can't horses fly?"

The other wipes a pigeon dropping from his shoulder. "Allah knows best", he replies.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

on your safaris, have you ever seen an elephant fly?

Well. Kind of like telling you there is no Santa Clause. I have seen a couple spread their ears---definitely a threat and kind of cute if it's a very young male that is just practicing. One quite serious big guy chased us out of his territory--- bellowing and everything. But, no, he did not leave the ground. When the vehicle is very near elephants you have to be ready to drop and hang on if the driver decides there is danger of a real attack and has to take off. The vehicles can't fly either though a tourist could fly out.

Paulette