Betty LaRue

Post a good thing that happened in your life today

On 02/07/2020 at 13:55, spacecadet said:

Not planning to live in there, are you?:blink:

You never know.

Allan

• Haha 1

We picked these cherry's whilst out on a dog walk earlier this week. They were from a local garden with a note saying 'please help yourselves'. More lockdown kindness :)

2C4P1MG.jpg

• Like 4

I had five usages (independent of Alamy) in my local rags yesterday at €60 for each usage. 👍

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I just ate a load of eggy bread - yum

My birthday today, so I had a lay in until 6:30am. Breakfast was yogurt and mushrooms on toast, then mid morning treat of a thin slice of low sugar home made cake. Two zooms on Wednesday, another two on Thursday but no sales yet, too early in the month. Last months zooms equalled my previous highest, may they continue. About to leave for a wander around Oxford, travelling light with just the RX100 and a brolly.

Edited by sb photos
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, sb photos said:

a brolly.

Parasol, shurely shome mishtake?

Yesterday one of the plastic handles of the grill pan from our cooker became detached. The cooker is no longer made and I cannot source a new matching grill pan, although I did find a new handle available for about £30 inc postage.  Weighed up the options and discussed with Mrs. Buy grossly overpriced handle, buy new cooker, buy non matching pan - but opted to try and fix it. Dismantle, thorough cleaning job, followed by 2 part expoxy resin, hopefully it will be OK. Waiting for it so set.

Spurred on by this burst of activity I rescued our old wheelbarrow from the allotment The  tray was coming adrift from the frame - and repaired that too. Drilled out the end of cracks in the metal, and rivetted a strengthening plate across. Drilled and chiselled out old rivets holding tray to frame, and replaced them with bolts. Finally wire brushed and  touched up the rusting paintwork. 

Fixing stuff cheers me up 🙂

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Yesterday one of the plastic handles of the grill pan from our cooker became detached. The cooker is no longer made and I cannot source a new matching grill pan, although I did find a new handle available for about £30 inc postage.  Weighed up the options and discussed with Mrs. Buy grossly overpriced handle, buy new cooker, buy non matching pan - but opted to try and fix it. Dismantle, thorough cleaning job, followed by 2 part expoxy resin, hopefully it will be OK. Waiting for it so set.

Spurred on by this burst of activity I rescued our old wheelbarrow from the allotment The  tray was coming adrift from the frame - and repaired that too. Drilled out the end of cracks in the metal, and rivetted a strengthening plate across. Drilled and chiselled out old rivets holding tray to frame, and replaced them with bolts. Finally wire brushed and  touched up the rusting paintwork. 

Yes, there is something very satisfying about fixing things rather than replacing or hiring someone to do it!  Good on ya!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bryan said:

2 part expoxy resin,

The heat resistance of ordinary Araldite is a bit limited so watch out for that. If it's the clip-on sort you just use for lifting, fine.

BTW you may already have found out that you can mould poxy nicely with sellotape as it doesn't stick to it.

Fortunately ours was under £10 so one less job for me.

Edited by spacecadet

It’s finally cooler today. If you consider 92, down from 102F (38.8C) a couple of days ago cooler. That’s 10 important degrees.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

I had a new brick pillar built for my mailbox last year. I put my house numbers on to each side with Gorilla Glue. Supposed to glue anything. Soon as the heat hit it this year, baking in the sun, the numbers tumbled to the ground.

My son screwed them in yesterday. Now, as long as the screws don’t rust.....

Edited by Betty LaRue

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

It’s finally cooler today. If you consider 92, down from 102F (38.8C) a couple of days ago cooler. That’s 10 important degrees.

There are times when I am glad that I live somewhere with a mediocre climate, never exceedingly hot and only rarely very cold. It rained most of today. Dullness predicted for the next few days.

However, I was able to pick and eat our first ripe tomato of the year !

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sb photos said:

My birthday today, so I had a lay in until 6:30am. Breakfast was yogurt and mushrooms on toast, then mid morning treat of a thin slice of low sugar home made cake. Two zooms on Wednesday, another two on Thursday but no sales yet, too early in the month. Last months zooms equalled my previous highest, may they continue. About to leave for a wander around Oxford, travelling light with just the RX100 and a brolly.

Ian’s birthday today too! First time since Christmas we have had our kids and grandkids together since Christmas. Have eaten too much and drunk too much and it has been wonderful.

17 hours ago, spacecadet said:

The heat resistance of ordinary Araldite is a bit limited so watch out for that. If it's the clip-on sort you just use for lifting, fine.

BTW you may already have found out that you can mould poxy nicely with sellotape as it doesn't stick to it.

Fortunately ours was under £10 so one less job for me.

I wasn't aware of those facts re Araldite Mark, but coincidentally I did use sellotape to mask off the repair! It seems to be holding OK, time will tell.

It might see me out or us through until we have to buy a hydrogen burning cooker in years to come.