Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

14 hours ago, NYCat said:

That cheers me up. I am currently experiencing the cold you had a couple of days ago. Single digits now but it will warm up to 24F before I need to go out. I was lucky not to have work this morning but later I must go and feed Algernon and Eustace. British cats, of course.

Paulette

You are coming to our beautiful island???

Allan

😀

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

You are coming to our beautiful island???

Allan

😀

No, alas. Their special person is from England. These cats were pre-owned and named Sparky and Sunshine. That didn't suit my client so Algernon and Eustace they are. The vet techs were initially pronouncing Algernon with a hard G. I think they all have it right now. The housekeeper is from Peru and she can't pronounce Eustace. We are definitely multi-cultural in NYC.

Paulette

• Love 1

Belle is negative for FIV and FELV according to the vet's instant test (probably bought in Managua yesterday).  I'm much relieved, but she does seem to get health problems more often than cats I've had in the past, just not as serious a problem as I feared.  

Getting ready for the American football Super Bowl this evening. Pizza & cake on the menu. I’m trying a new very simple cake recipe. One 20 ounce can of crushed pineapple juice & all, packed in natural juice not syrup, mixed with a Betty Crocker Angel food cake mix. Mix well with medium speed mixer for a minute or two & bake. Top with whipped cream or Cool Whip. May sprinkle top with coconut flakes.

I’ll be curious to see if it’s a keeper.

I do try new things, but keep maybe one recipe out of 8-10, considering the rejects as just…meh…or awful. I’m a hard judge.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

48 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Getting ready for the American football Super Bowl this evening. Pizza & cake on the menu. I’m trying a new very simple cake recipe. One 20 ounce can of crushed pineapple juice & all, packed in natural juice not syrup, mixed with a Betty Crocker Angel food cake mix. Mix well with medium speed mixer for a minute or two & bake. Top with whipped cream or Cool Whip. May sprinkle top with coconut flakes.

I’ll be curious to see if it’s a keeper.

I do try new things, but keep maybe one recipe out of 8-10, considering the rejects as just…meh…or awful. I’m a hard judge.

As a Dolphins fan, I'll be watching as a neutral (if I can stay awake) but then again as a Dolphins fan I've been watching as a neutral since the 70's :)

• Love 2

49 minutes ago, Martin L said:

As a Dolphins fan, I'll be watching as a neutral (if I can stay awake) but then again as a Dolphins fan I've been watching as a neutral since the 70's :)

I’m sort of a neutral also. I now live in Kansas, everyone is a Chief’s fan. But I lived on Oklahoma most of my life…born there, and an Oklahoma university fan. Hurts finished his college career there. So there ya go. Kinda lean toward the Eagles…maybe…

2 minutes ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

It is shocking in a positive way to see the Alamy measures updated so early in the morning today! Just like it happened many, many Moons ago. Keep on, Alamy!!!

Thanks for pointing that out. I have stopped looking in the mornings, but I agree it's a big improvement!

• Like 2

Well Sunday actually, my Iphone SE (2016) fell out of my pocket as I was getting out of my car late in the afternoon outside a very rural church that has a rather splendid display of snowdrops. I didn't discover that I'd lost it until the evening so returned first thing the following morning. I couldn't see it at first but then noticed that it had become part of the road surface and was half covered in mud, I'd reversed over it. So the good news is that it's fine apart from a noticeable kink if you look at it from the side, on a flat surface one end is 1/10" up in the air. Even the screen, which had a screen protector, is fine but it was in a 'leather' flip case which protects both sides. I've now written a contact phone number on the inside of the case as well, just in case.

• Love 1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Well Sunday actually, my Iphone SE (2016) fell out of my pocket as I was getting out of my car late in the afternoon outside a very rural church that has a rather splendid display of snowdrops. I didn't discover that I'd lost it until the evening so returned first thing the following morning. I couldn't see it at first but then noticed that it had become part of the road surface and was half covered in mud, I'd reversed over it. So the good news is that it's fine apart from a noticeable kink if you look at it from the side, on a flat surface one end is 1/10" up in the air. Even the screen, which had a screen protector, is fine but it was in a 'leather' flip case which protects both sides. I've now written a contact phone number on the inside of the case as well, just in case.

Hmmm!  My phone is bare (no case). Perhaps I will have a contact number etched on the back of the phone.

WAIT!   I do not have another contact number.😧

Allan

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Sorry to hear about the phone loss. I fairly often visit a rural Norman church, St Botolphs at Swyncombe, to photograph the snowdrops and aconites surrounding it.  It's more crowded on the weekends when tea and cake is available, best to avoid then.

10 hours ago, sb photos said:

I fairly often visit a rural Norman church, St Botolphs at Swyncombe

Yes, that's the one, we took my mother-in-law there the previous Sunday and it was indeed very busy but the volunteers handle it all well. It's well publicised and I particularly like their hand-crafted signs with the monk, and the tea & cakes of course. It's an enchanting location, and views across to Wittenham Clumps, another favourite place.

This time of year I find myself going to the Oakley Wood tip near Benson fairly frequently so the 'pretty way' can take in a feast of minor country roads including that one up from Ewelme to Swyncombe, you just need to watch out for those big 4WDs and tractors coming round the bend.

Today is my youngest daughter’s birthday. I will be baking her favorite dessert, apple pie, like the one shown in February photo contest “gold”.

A funny thing now that has become a recurring joke between her and I. Every woman in my family except her loves my homemade custard pie. My sister’s eyes rolled back in her head with ecstasy when she bit into one I made. So the years I lived in Oklahoma City, I labored under the false impression Kim loved custard pie also.

Every time she drove down from Wichita to spend a couple of days, I baked her a custard pie, which she ate pieces of. It was only a couple of years ago she finally confessed custard pie, to her, was edible but way down the list of favorite pies. Like at the bottom! 😆She didn’t want to hurt my feelings so kept that to herself.

Yesterday, I told her I planned to bake her an apple pie, number 1 on her list of favorites, would she like that? Her reply, “Oh, I guess I can handle that if you’re not going to bake me my favorite custard pie!” Of course, we shared a hearty laugh.

I still can’t figure out why a kid of mine wouldn’t love custard pie. Guess she got it from her dad, who would eat it but not happily. He called it “egg pie”. Mine is smooth, not overly sweet, sprinkled on top with nutmeg & delicious. Of course, being up there close to my #1 favorite, I would think that.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

apple pie, like the one shown in February photo contest “gold”.

Betty,  It has disappeared.  Sorry I was hungry and ate it. 😃

Allan

5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Betty,  It has disappeared.  Sorry I was hungry and ate it. 😃

Allan

You are a gas, Allan! 😁 I actually did have a piece of the one I baked today after giving it to my daughter. She shared.

Family descending upon us today.  It will be the first time that our youngest grandchildren have visited. We've warped out the old plastic tracked push along trainset that resides in the loft and cleared space for young persons to scud around.  Older cousins arriving tomorrow.  Should have a full house !

Will no doubt need a long rest come Monday !

• Love 3
  • Like 1

I had the singing bus driver on my way home this evening. He really cheered me up. The bus had been late and tends to be very unreliable at that stop so I was glad to see him and then he gave us a happy trip with his singing and greetings to people boarding. My late day cat-siting had not started out well since I heard some strange screaming from a man in front of our building. Fortunately, we have two entrances so I was able to go out further away. He was in the outdoor seating shed for our little pasta place. A woman had come out and asked him to move on. He was cursing and I headed away as quickly as possible. I feel sorry for the businesses in New York City these days.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, sooth said:

When you said singing bus driver, I thought of Reggie, a Seattle Metro bus driver with an super personality, but then realized reading further... a singing bus driver, NYC? Singing, therefore a happy NYC bus driver??? Impossible. 

Googled and found a 10 yr old news article about one such driver on the M8 crosstown. You don't hear about things like this anymore. And also I don't ride the M8 as the bus is really slow, and infrequent.

Yes! I never tried to look him up. No longer singing opera..... just old standards. He's very cheerful and seems to genuinely enjoy his day. A good lesson in how to have fun with a lousy job. And, yes, the M8. If I am taking it going west I can see it coming on the MTA app. It's very frustrating coming east from Washington Street because the information on the app often isn't reliable and I wind up walking and then having the bus pass me as I walk..Grrrrr. So now I try to arrange my schedule accordingly. I don't get that driver very often. Love him.

Paulette

• Like 1

• Alamy locked this topic