Betty LaRue

Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Been so busy with other things that I forgot to say that on Monday I had good news. My removal company is starting work next week 18th May and I am on the list to be moved that week.

Allan

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, gvallee said:

I looked at my glass of wine, it was still untouched.

You need to drink quicker then. Them bison is thirsty folks.

My day has started out very nicely with three sales all at once and one is a magazine cover of the sweet sea otter that Alamy featured in Twitter. That little fellow gave me such joy when I was photographing him and he keeps on selling as well.

Paulette

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Saw my daughter very briefly this morning, she came by to get her mail and pick up another pair of hospital scrubs (what she wears under the PPE).  She's still living out of a hotel and does her laundry at the hotel...they have machines to use for the guests.  Finally she is doing her own laundry!!! It took a deadly pandemic!!!  A silver lining.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Wonderful to be able to see your daughter, I’m sure, even if it was only briefly!

My NYC daughter (who actually used to live in your area for awhile, Michael, and whose company did some work on the Capital Wheel project) is probably sick of seeing me. She and her dog escaped the city and moved in with me two months ago. One of the things I absolutely hate is going to the grocery store. I don’t care for cooking all that much either. I’ve just realized that, since my daughter has been with me, I haven’t had to set foot inside a grocery store or cook a meal. It’s been nice to be a bit pampered for a change.

• Like 3

Good news, Paulette, Michael, Cecile.

My news, I’ve taken this time to begin letting my grey show. No more coloring my hair! I’ll see if I can stand it. If I can it will be good news about the money I save even though I’ve always colored my own hair. Vanity,  BE GONE! :D

• Like 1

Grey hair can be really beautiful. My stepmom used to say she was "going blond". She wound up with glorious snow white hair.

Paulette

Nothing wrong with grey (silver).  I admire women and men who go natural.  Although, I also don’t hold it against anyone who wants to do the coverup.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I got sick of coloring my hair about 18 months ago, and am now  thrilled with the ease of care. The first few months were the hardest to take because my hair "color" was reddish brown. The healthier looking gray/dark brown mix growing in has been a nice change though. And, since I was already way overdue for a haircut when this viral thing got bad, I finally broke down and trimmed about 1 1/2 inches off my shoulder length ends last week. My haircut isn’t perfect, but not too bad. Certainly the cheapest cut I’ve ever had. 

Edited by Cecile Marion

Mine is light silver around my face, but a shade or two darker elsewhere. I don’t think I have any of my natural color left, but I’ll find out, I guess. Right now, the line of demarcation is driving me crazy. I may go to a beautician to blend in a few thin blond strands to help soften the grow-out on my crown. I like what’s around my face.

Cecile, I’m sure you did just fine. It’s been three years since I had my hair professionally cut and I’ve done just fine cutting my own.  Usually I’m not happy with pro cuts because they don’t give me the cut or style I ask for, or don’t understand how to work with my curly hair. I’ve only had two through the years who really did me proud. Each time, after a year with them, I moved away. 🙁

B

My self-employment support payment arrived this morning. There should be quite a few happier (if not happy) faces on the forum today.

• Like 1

Good news! There will be another baby in my family around Dec. 1. My birthday is Dec. 2, so the little one might come on mine.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Congratulations, Betty! How exciting!

Can't compete with Betty's baby news or other stuff, but I found some cheapo face masks at Lidl today. Only €1.49 each. Okay, not most fashionable ones, but hey.

23 minutes ago, vpics said:

Can't compete with Betty's baby news or other stuff, but I found some cheapo face masks at Lidl today. Only €1.49 each. Okay, not most fashionable ones, but hey.

Hey indeed! Finding face masks at any price is an accomplishment.

Posted (edited)

Whether it’s a good thing or not. A department store opened up this week. My daughter & I went in the same car (gasp!) shopping two days ago. Dressing room closed, sanitizer in the store, face masks...

What was good was a taste of normal activity.

What was bad is the risk of getting out.

What was good is there were few shoppers, very easy to stay apart.

What was bad is I had to return and exchange two pieces of clothing that didn’t fit, necessitating two excursions instead of one, because of not being able to try them on in the store.

But I have some new clothes, yay!! Hope I’m alive to wear them!

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1

I had a mini 40th college Reunion today via Zoom - so missed seeing my friends at Smith College and being in beautiful Northampton, Massachusetts, but wonderful to see people if just on a tiny Zoom screen - we had 150 participants. I also now have a few new Amazon movies and books on my to read/watch list - always fun to read or see something by people I know. I even found out an old friend I'd lost touch with is the US Ambassador to Montenegro. It made me once again grateful to have good internet, something so many people are without, so at least I can see friends, whether it's a huge group like this, or drinks with my book group, networking with my fellow photographers, facetime with my grandson, learning new things - have you checked out Coursera? - some wonderful stuff!

So happy to see everyone's good news here. Congrats Betty! I have a new great-niece on the way next week - the second one to be born during this pandemic. Hopefully things will be better by the time your new grandchild gets here - we can hope and pray. Michael and Betty I'll try not to be jealous of your seeing your daughters - actually one silver lining of this plague is that rather than weekly FaceTime visits I see my daughter and grandson via FaceTime nearly every day and since Matteo was nearly 18 months old when this started, within a couple of weeks of our frequent chats, he started to really understand that Noni (and sometimes Pop) were inside Mommy's iPad. Seeing his development on a nearly daily basis over these two months has been a wonderful gift. 

Betty, thanks for starting this and the nature thread. As a lifelong pessimist, I value optimists like you. We may disagree politically, but if we don't value our shared humanity, we will never get through this. I'm grateful for everyone on this forum. Be well. 

• Upvote 1

Baked more banana walnut bread today and had a nice hour long Skype call with an Italian cousin in Puglia, Italy.  We were born in the same year and have always been close, but technology has made it so much easier for us to be even closer and it is a big plus that she speaks English perfectly (an English teacher in her town) and I speak just enough Italian to get myself into trouble! 

Marianne, I have a photographer friend who also went to Smith College, tho I think she graduated after you. Her name is Sarah Hampton (tho I don't think Hampton was her given surname).  She was living in NYC but has moved back up to Northhampton, MA.  Judging by her photos, it looks like Smith is beautiful campus!

• Upvote 1

Somewhere, I have an ancient photo (1914?) of my grandmother and my great-grandparents at Smith. My grandmother began attending school there at the age of 16. 

Two good things are happening for me today. My daughter is making fajitas for dinner, and my knees aren’t killing me (as they have been off and on for the last five months) after walking three miles this morning. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Marianne said:

Betty, thanks for starting this and the nature thread. As a lifelong pessimist, I value optimists like you. We may disagree politically, but if we don't value our shared humanity, we will never get through this. I'm grateful for everyone on this forum. Be well. 

Marianne, I don’t know if optimism is an inherited tendency or if it comes from life experiences. I had some bad times as a small girl. Enough that I sometimes curled into a ball and my mind went to a happy place. Maybe that’s when I decided things couldn’t get worse, so the future had to be better, and I used my imagination to picture it. Big time dreamer.

Every day I try to find joy in something. Today it was a bird flapping away scattering water in my bird bath. When it flew I only got a glimpse, but I think it was a female goldfinch! I hadn’t seen one since moving from Oklahoma.

I agree in times like this the Internet is a Godsend enabling us to keep in touch.

Pardon if I offended anyone with the last sentence, but I speak like I think.

Betty

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Baked more banana walnut bread today and had a nice hour long Skype call with an Italian cousin in Puglia, Italy.  We were born in the same year and have always been close, but technology has made it so much easier for us to be even closer and it is a big plus that she speaks English perfectly (an English teacher in her town) and I speak just enough Italian to get myself into trouble! 

Marianne, I have a photographer friend who also went to Smith College, tho I think she graduated after you. Her name is Sarah Hampton (tho I don't think Hampton was her given surname).  She was living in NYC but has moved back up to Northhampton, MA.  Judging by her photos, it looks like Smith is beautiful campus!

Banana bread - yum! - I need to bake more. Smith has a gorgeous campus - a pond right in the middle, ivy-covered buildings, and a lovely little town in the foothills of the Berkshires. A photo I took at the last Reunion I attended was recently licensed for a Serenity calendar. Cool about your Italian cousins. I've gotten to know some of mine through FB - and got to meet some of them in NY last year. Without our current technology getting through this pandemic would be touch - but then the world would be so different, we'd be mailing slides to Alamy, spending time in a darkroom, so much has changed in just this young century of ours. 

19 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

Somewhere, I have an ancient photo (1914?) of my grandmother and my great-grandparents at Smith. My grandmother began attending school there at the age of 16. 

Two good things are happening for me today. My daughter is making fajitas for dinner, and my knees aren’t killing me (as they have been off and on for the last five months) after walking three miles this morning. 

It would be fun to see the photo. History in the US doesn't go back the way it does in Europe. The college had just turned 100 the year before I started, which seemed ancient. I had some friends whose great-grandmothers had gone there which seemed very interesting, the idea of generations at the same place. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Marianne, I don’t know if optimism is an inherited tendency or if it comes from life experiences. I had some bad times as a small girl. Enough that I sometimes curled into a ball and my mind went to a happy place. Maybe that’s when I decided things couldn’t get worse, so the future had to be better, and I used my imagination to picture it. Big time dreamer.

Every day I try to find joy in something. Today it was a bird flapping away scattering water in my bird bath. When it flew I only got a glimpse, but I think it was a female goldfinch! I hadn’t seen one since moving from Oklahoma.

I agree in times like this the Internet is a Godsend enabling us to keep in touch.

Pardon if I offended anyone with the last sentence, but I speak like I think.

Betty

I think  it is just the way we are wired - an inherited tendency. We have both extremes in my family and I took after the wrong branch, but I knew enough to have married an optimist and to count many among my friends. The internet is a Godsend in these times, agree wholeheartedly. God and science are not mutually exclusive. Interesting read along those lines: https://apnews.com/01716afc8e0a746be7ded77162d25437 

Edited by Marianne

8 hours ago, Marianne said:

I think  it is just the way we are wired - an inherited tendency. We have both extremes in my family and I took after the wrong branch, but I knew enough to have married an optimist and to count many among my friends. The internet is a Godsend in these times, agree wholeheartedly. God and science are not mutually exclusive. Interesting read along those lines: https://apnews.com/01716afc8e0a746be7ded77162d25437 

Interesting read.

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Interesting read.

Dr Francis Collins is a fascinating man.  I was assigned to photograph him at a DNA lab at NIH a few years ago. He also plays the electric guitar and plays in a band made up of other research doctors!

Dr.Francis Collins former director of the Human Genome Project, Now Director of the National Institutes of Health Stock Photo

I would consider myself an optimist but like Marianne, we have both in the family. I have a sibling who is the opposite...a devote pessimist.  I do think it is in the "wiring".  

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Dr Francis Collins is a fascinating man.  I was assigned to photograph him at a DNA lab at NIH a few years ago. He also plays the electric guitar and plays in a band made up of other research doctors!

Dr.Francis Collins former director of the Human Genome Project, Now Director of the National Institutes of Health Stock Photo

I would consider myself an optimist but like Marianne, we have both in the family. I have a sibling who is the opposite...a devote pessimist.  I do think it is in the "wiring".  

Nice picture!

My oldest sister is just barely on the side of pessimism. I always wondered if it was birth order, because she often had the responsibility of two younger sisters while our mother worked before and after divorce. But if it is wiring, probably not.

I wonder if the “wiring” has anything to do with left-handedness, because I’m a leftie. Both sisters are righties and lean toward pessimism.

One day, we lefties will rise up and take over the world. There will be bigger choices of left-handed scissors, softball mitts, guitars, can openers and other things, and be priced the same as the right-handed things. At least there are some now, when I was growing up, nada. I played softball with the mitt on the wrong hand, and could barely field a ball. A left-handed one probably could have been ordered, but was too expensive. I played my guitar upside down with the small string rattling around in the big groove. I eventually bought a left-handed one but had to pay a premium.
And we’ll write in notebooks starting at the back page with the coils on the right instead of the left.😉 I should do that now. But the first-grade teacher who whipped my left hand with a ruler when she caught me using it made too much of an impression.