Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

Bah humbug? Let's get into politics, Allan. 🤪

Bryan, Greek-style yogurt is part of my alternate breakfasts now -- berries, a broken-up muffin, granola, and the yogurt. Porridge with blueberries was my third alternate but that has been abandoned since leaving NYC. I use raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries now . . . because the skin of blueberries is too thick over here. It sticks in my throat. Below is breakfast No. 1, scrambled eggs, a muffin, black coffee, and nitrate-free ham.   

2F1F2T1.jpg

• Love 2

43 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Bah humbug? Let's get into politics, Allan. 🤪

Bryan, Greek-style yogurt is part of my alternate breakfasts now -- berries, a broken-up muffin, granola, and the yogurt. Porridge with blueberries was my third alternate but that has been abandoned since leaving NYC. I use raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries now . . . because the skin of blueberries is too thick over here. It sticks in my throat. Below is breakfast No. 1, scrambled eggs, a muffin, black coffee, and nitrate-free ham.   

2F1F2T1.jpg

My breakfast is usually plain Greek yoghurt with a sprinkling of blueberries. Currently Aldi's small wonky pack, plus their yoghurt is to me is one of the best. Sometimes I'll also have half a slice of seeded or granary bread toasted and with a thin smear of orange and ginger spread. Delicious.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Haven't started my Christmas shopping.

Allan (Bah humbug)

I'm as up to date as I can be. Subject to Covid issues will be at my daughters in Bristol for Christmas and Boxing Day, and sufficient food in for when we are back and the New Year weekend. Hoping for snow while in Bristol, already know the locations I would shoot at. Not food, but short of LFT kits, NHS web site had major issues. Finally ordered, delivery via post, no collection options.

I wish you and your daughters (daughter's?) a most happy, safe holiday, Steve. I wish all you forum people the same.

I popped into my local Aldi today and bought their Greek yogurt and blueberries; a taste test tomorrow. I was shocked -- shocked! -- at the low price! Aldi was my go-to supermarket in Seville. I don't think of M&S Food as being costly but that's because I compare the prices with Manhattan. 

2CB9PX5.jpg

M3AGPY.jpg

• Love 2

8 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I wish you and your daughters (daughter's?) a most happy, safe holiday, Steve. I wish all you forum people the same.

I popped into my local Aldi today and bought their Greek yogurt and blueberries; a taste test tomorrow. I was shocked -- shocked! -- at the low price! Aldi was my go-to supermarket in Seville. I don't think of M&S Food as being costly but that's because I compare the prices with Manhattan. 

2CB9PX5.jpg

M3AGPY.jpg

YUM! Looks good.  By the way did you wash the bluberries under running water before putting then in the mix?

Allan

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I remember when Aldi first came to town, in those days they had a limited product range and there was no bar code scanning, the till operators knew all of the prices and they were super quick.  I bought a trolley load of stuff and was amazed at how little it cost.

However things move on, they've increased their range and use bar codes like everyone else, and the prices have gone up too. Still good value for a lot of stuff, but the big supermarkets have reacted and lowered some of their prices so not always the cheapest nor the best. I remember trying Aldi porridge but rapidly reverted back to Sainsbury's. Similarly the fruit isn't always of the same quality.  Tinned fish remained a bargain at the last time I looked. 

At Lidl croissants are definite bargain buy.

• Love 1

EM9FGC.jpgI

I don’t eat breakfast. I usually have my biggest meal at lunch lately because my digestion has slowed. I had ham (hock) and pinto beans today, and a couple of pieces of oat nut bread toast for dinner. I wanted to make cornbread to go with the beans but didn't want the calories. It’s so delicious, I tend to pig out. I get a cast iron skillet smoking hot with a bit of oil, so when I pour in the batter, a wonderful, crunchy golden brown crust forms. Then I bake it.

This cornbread was eaten with Tex-Mex goulash.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 2

My neighbour suggested I try our local Lidl so I visited the shop last Monday with my shopping list of about 30 items.

Had to put a pound coin in the trolley to release it. Never had to do that at Tesco.

Went in and my heart sank. Well I said I would try them so continued with the shop. About half the the shop was filled with non-food TAT. The food items were all muddled up with no sense of order. But I stuck at it and continued. After about 45 minutes, yes I did try, I was at the checkout with SIX items in the trolley. No you are not allowed to bag your items at the checkout. Just put them back in the trolley and bag them up later. Time wasting with multiple handling of the goods. [Yes I was a work study engineer at some point in my early career.]

Went on to my beloved Tesco were the goods are stacked in orderly fashion hence easy to find. Pulled a trolley from the end of line. Bought the remainder of my shop and bagged up at the checkout.

The six items I bought at Lidl - no cheaper than Tesco. I know where I am doing my shop in the future.

Allan

11 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

My neighbour suggested I try our local Lidl so I visited the shop last Monday with my shopping list of about 30 items.

Had to put a pound coin in the trolley to release it. Never had to do that at Tesco.

Went in and my heart sank. Well I said I would try them so continued with the shop. About half the the shop was filled with non-food TAT. The food items were all muddled up with no sense of order. But I stuck at it and continued. After about 45 minutes, yes I did try, I was at the checkout with SIX items in the trolley. No you are not allowed to bag your items at the checkout. Just put them back in the trolley and bag them up later. Time wasting with multiple handling of the goods. [Yes I was a work study engineer at some point in my early career.]

Went on to my beloved Tesco were the goods are stacked in orderly fashion hence easy to find. Pulled a trolley from the end of line. Bought the remainder of my shop and bagged up at the checkout.

The six items I bought at Lidl - no cheaper than Tesco. I know where I am doing my shop in the future.

Allan

I shop at multiple food stores based up price and range of food or clothing, and sometimes for convenience. I use Aldi, Tesco, Sainsbury’s, sometimes Morrisons, and the local Co-op store for convenience.

I have a pet hate of putting pound coins in trolleys or any other coins, it always seems a lot of faffing around and I get easily confused of what to push & pull to release the dam trolley - it doesn't take much😁  Shopping for me mainly M & S and Sainsburys they are next door to each other and local to me...

Carol

2 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I have a pet hate of putting pound coins in trolleys or any other coins, it always seems a lot of faffing around and I get easily confused of what to push & pull to release the dam trolley - it doesn't take much😁  Shopping for me mainly M & S and Sainsburys they are next door to each other and local to me...

Carol

Well you can buy a disc on a keyring that does the job........but they cost more than £1😐

Once in a blue moon do we need a trolley, fortunately.

Edited by spacecadet

The only store, around me, that requires a coin for the trolley is Aldi, we have Lidl now but I don't think they are requiring coins.  I almost never have coins in my pockets these days, so I have to scrounge around my car for a quarter to use a trolley at Aldi.  For the Americans who have never seen this, you get your coin back when you return the trolley to the queue of trolleys, when you reconnect it to the "train" of trolleys.

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

The only store, around me, that requires a coin for the trolley is Aldi, we have Lidl now but I don't think they are requiring coins.  I almost never have coins in my pockets these days, so I have to scrounge around my car for a quarter to use a trolley at Aldi.  For the Americans who have never seen this, you get your coin back when you return the trolley to the queue of trolleys, when you reconnect it to the "train" of trolleys.

Yes, and I’m like Carol. I’ve been to Aldi so few times that I always forget the process. I stand there looking helpless and confused until another shopper comes along and helps me.

Yikes, they have Aldi and Lidi in the US now??? 

Allan, fortunately, the large Liverpool Lidi is a bit far for me to walk. I love shopping at the M&S Foothall . . . except for some of the prices. There's a BIG Tesco a bit further, but the one near me is a small express and not good; I do buy my beer there.

Edited by Ed Rooney

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Well you can buy a disc on a keyring that does the job........but they cost more than £1😐

Once in a blue moon do we need a trolley, fortunately.

I have a disc from The Range though not sure if it works anywhere else, I think it might it's like a one pound coin with flat sides.  Again when I go in The Range I try and get by with a large basket on wheels😄 The one time I went into our new Aldi, opposite the smaller Sainsburys there was a guy helping people with the trolleys - phew !

33 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Yes, and I’m like Carol. I’ve been to Aldi so few times that I always forget the process. I stand there looking helpless and confused until another shopper comes along and helps me.

We are like two peas in pod Betty😄

My other favourite place for certain items is Costco - there fruit and veg is such high quality and lasts much longer than anywhere else.  They've also recently opened their own petrol station though one has to be a member to use it.  Current price of unleaded is £1.36 I think.....Oh and I tried their mince pies last week - wow😄

Carol

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Look no further than the bakery in Lidl Allan, most (all ?) of their stores have one. Buy a few croissants for the following day's breakfast, they're both very good and incredibly cheap. The frozen fish is also good value. Finally don't knock the centre isles of Lidl and Aldi, I've bought some real bargains there, for example durable woodworking clamps that I've used to rebuild fences.

All of the stores in these parts have coin release trolleys, and we still have a problem with trollies being dumped around the place.  There's even an App to report discovered abandoned trollies.

R465XC.jpg

At Sainsbury's we use the scanning gadget that you carry around so no queues at the checkout. You just point the thing at the screen and it works out your bill.  If we cycle to shop, then the bike bags go in the trolley and no bagging required, if walk/bus then reusable bags perform the same function.

Edited by Bryan

There is only one grocery shop/store in walking distance for me and that is a CO-OP. All others are a car journey with Tesco, Lidl and Aldi on the same estate about 5 minutes away.

M&$, Waitrose, Sainsbury's etc are on another shopping estate which is at least 30 minute car journey. Which apart from Sainsbury's  are higher prices and it also means higher cost in fuel to get there and back over a year.

I shop once a fortnight for all my shopping for the next two weeks which would be difficult to manage on buses as it almost fills the boot in the car and some of it is quite heavy and I am not thinking of calories or carbohydrates here.

Allan

25 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Look no further than the bakery in Lidl Allan, most (all ?) of their stores have one. Buy a few croissants for the following day's breakfast, they're both very good and incredibly cheap. The frozen fish is also good value. Finally don't knock the centre isles of Lidl and Aldi, I've bought some real bargains there, for example durable woodworking clamps that I've used to rebuild fences.

All of the stores in these parts have coin release trolleys, and we still have a problem with trollies being dumped around the place.  There's even an App to report discovered abandoned trollies.

R465XC.jpg

At Sainsbury's we use the scanning gadget that you carry around so no queues at the checkout. You just point the thing at the screen and it works out your bill.  If we cycle to shop, then the bike bags go in the trolley and no bagging required, if walk/bus then reusable bags perform the same function.

Agree the smart shop scanner in Sainsburys is brilliant, I've used it for ages though it did take me a while to have a first go.  M & S also have one but I've not found it quite so user friendly, though it's probably just me😄

Carol

6 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Agree the smart shop scanner in Sainsburys is brilliant, I've used it for ages though it did take me a while to have a first go.  M & S also have one but I've not found it quite so user friendly, though it's probably just me😄

Carol

Tesco have had the customer shopping scanner system for quite some time now but I have never used it. Well it gives me a chance to chat up the checkout operators.

Allan

I cleaned out my garage over the weekend, and it’s a very good feeling. Especially since my garage is used more as a front entrance than my actual front door, and I’m expecting company soon after Christmas (recently discovered sister who has never been to my home). Today I took a couple of items and dropped them off at the hazardous waste center, then went around the corner to the entrance of a vast complex where I first had my car weighed, before being sent down a long winding road to a large building with a big hole in the side. I wasn’t quite sure what to do, but finally figured out how to back up to the hole, toss in my few household junk items, and then return to the entrance where my car was weighed again and I was charged $3.00. Now, all I need to do is sort out the manageable pile of recyclable items of clothing and books, then take them to the various donation centers. At least that pile looks fairly neat and orderly, so my garage looks much nicer now. 

• Love 1

25 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

I cleaned out my garage over the weekend, and it’s a very good feeling. Especially since my garage is used more as a front entrance than my actual front door, and I’m expecting company soon after Christmas (recently discovered sister who has never been to my home). Today I took a couple of items and dropped them off at the hazardous waste center, then went around the corner to the entrance of a vast complex where I first had my car weighed, before being sent down a long winding road to a large building with a big hole in the side. I wasn’t quite sure what to do, but finally figured out how to back up to the hole, toss in my few household junk items, and then return to the entrance where my car was weighed again and I was charged $3.00. Now, all I need to do is sort out the manageable pile of recyclable items of clothing and books, then take them to the various donation centers. At least that pile looks fairly neat and orderly, so my garage looks much nicer now. 

You have to pay to get rid of rubbish. I have never paid to dispose of rubbish.

Allan

• Like 1

The fee was minimal, but goes to support community efforts to properly dispose of household items. I think I could have driven up the road a bit to a rural refuse center that was free, but it would have cost at least as much in gasoline, so not worth the drive. 

• Love 2

• Alamy locked this topic