Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

My helper did a deep cleaning of the house and washed two loads of clothes, then we ordered pizza to be delivered and he walked my dog.  Paid him C$100 extra (roughly $3.50), so C$500 for today's work, which sounds like nothing to most of my friends in the US and like too much for some Nicaraguans and pinche gringos who'd pay $5 US or room and board for a day of work.   

About a year ago, I found out he was living off part-time work for me and another woman who wasn't using him that much, so asked my British friend if he could help her and he's been working for us as a dog walker and shopper.  This has been very beneficial for all of us.  We've also kept him in cell phones and my British friend has covered some medical expenses (he has a heart mummer which is apparently not as bad as it was).   He's working on finishing high school on weekends, and if he's willing, Jinotega has some college programs here in branches of some Leon and Managua universities.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, MizBrown said:

My helper did a deep cleaning of the house and washed two loads of clothes, then we ordered pizza to be delivered and he walked my dog.  Paid him C$100 extra (roughly $3.50), so C$500 for today's work, which sounds like nothing to most of my friends in the US and like too much for some Nicaraguans and pinche gringos who'd pay $5 US or room and board for a day of work.   

About a year ago, I found out he was living off part-time work for me and another woman who wasn't using him that much, so asked my British friend if he could help her and he's been working for us as a dog walker and shopper.  This has been very beneficial for all of us.  We've also kept him in cell phones and my British friend has covered some medical expenses (he has a heart mummer which is apparently not as bad as it was).   He's working on finishing high school on weekends, and if he's willing, Jinotega has some college programs here in branches of some Leon and Managua universities.

You’ll get your crown someday.

My back has taken a sudden turn for the worse, but the good thing is when I called for an appointment today with my physical therapist, I thought it would take a month or so to get in. I have an appointment for January 4th!! Good news.

Funny thing about my problem. My pelvis gets twisted and causes a lot of back pain. My therapist puts my leg over her shoulder, presses my hip. I hear a “thunk” and it’s back in place. Hope that’s what’s wrong because it’s easily fixed.

• Love 1

34 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

You’ll get your crown someday.

I'm on a cane so what I'd like is for my knee to be all better so I can walk more easily.  

He helps us.  We pay him for helping us.   I'm not a Great White Rescuer.   I met him when he was Gina (and have a photo of him from then).  His family wants him to be straight.   He wants to be a father (and isn't the only gay guy I know who has sired a child to be the child's devoted parent).  He's with the mother of his child now.  Adores his daughter.  His other employer and I don't think he presents as straight, but he's got to find his own way.  If he can manage being in a relationship with the mother of his child, fine.  If he can't, that's also fine for us.  His family never broke contact with him when he was Gina, but did pressure him to go into reparative therapy.  He was an attractive woman as Gina (I didn't figure it out and still catch myself using female pronouns for him), and is a doting parent.   Years ago, a woman gave him a baby to raise, then reclaimed the child two years later.   A couple of people want me to write at length about him and his two old ladies.

It's been an interesting year.   Nicaragua makes up in complications what it lacks in natural resources that could be used for industrial development.

• Love 2

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My back has taken a sudden turn for the worse, but the good thing is when I called for an appointment today with my physical therapist, I thought it would take a month or so to get in. I have an appointment for January 4th!! Good news.

Funny thing about my problem. My pelvis gets twisted and causes a lot of back pain. My therapist puts my leg over her shoulder, presses my hip. I hear a “thunk” and it’s back in place. Hope that’s what’s wrong because it’s easily fixed.

I will do that for you for FREE.

Allan

11 hours ago, MizBrown said:

You get an OBE from me.

Allan

Drove the short distance to the coast to take exercise today, Swapped my driving gloves for a pair of mitts, and must have dropped the gloves leaving the car.  Came back to see them wedged under one of the wiper blades, a kind soul had clearly seen them and reacted. 🙂

• Love 1

I’ve had my art studio in the same room that Echo’s in. One African Gray parrot puts out a lot of feather dust. I fight it constantly, and I won’t speak of the feathers she molts. 😬 Sometimes I feel like I’m in a Dracula movie, walking through swirling fog until I drag out the vacuum again. (So I’m exaggerating, I tend to do that)

While the room has good light with windows all around, there is only one wall outlet in the wrong place for my lights. A cord would have to run across the floor and I don’t want Echo chewing on it.  All of this has been occupying my mind F.O.R.E.V.E.R.

Today I decided I’d take out 3 pieces of furniture in my office and put my art table and softboxes in there. I have the outlets I need, no more feather dust, the natural light is still good, but now when I set up my lights I can paint after dark. And those lights won’t look like they’ve been snow-dusted from a parrot.
I’ve shoved a heavy credenza out in the hallway along with a side table, and will soon remove my easy chair from my office to downstairs. My art tables are in the office and I just need to unpack my softboxes and bring them up from the basement.

A good way to start the new year for me.

We’re expecting a decent snow tomorrow and I love watching snowflakes drifting down.

Happy New Year! 🎉🎊🎆💥☃️🥂

If I can only remember there’s a piece of furniture with hip gouging corners on it in the hallway when I exit the bedroom in the morning........

• Love 1
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, John Richmond said:

No.  But if I drink enough Speckled Hen this evening I should be able to generate a supply by morning.

I was going to follow my post up with, "HARD LUCK"

It was awful.

Allan

Just found a good used Nikon 60mm 2.8 D AF Micro lens for an acceptable price to use with my Nikon ES-2. Should finally start copying a selection of my B&W 35mm negatives for archival upload. Later will copy mainly colour family negatives. Will save me faffing around with my 55mm 2.8 and 90mm 2.8 macro lenses. Should have the lens next week.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

5 inches of snow wee hours and up to noon. I love snow. I got my studio lights set up today, boxed up Christmas decorations and made umpteen trips to the downstairs storage room.

Hope I get buns of steel.

I’m glad I have the lights set up because I can now shoot small items again in my light tent.

I’ve been having trouble finding replacement bulbs for my soft boxes in case one burns out. I want CFLs, 50-65watts, 5000-5500 Kelvin, CRI 90 or above for color accuracy.

The place I ordered my setup from doesn’t carry those particular bulbs anymore.

Parts of Sydney are off limits at the moment due to everyone's favourite virus so today I decided to head west. I drove with my wife to the historic town of Richmond and did a two hour self guided walk around photographing the historic buildings. The pleasant but "Twilight moment" (cue music now) though was when i came home and logged on, I found my first sale for 2021 was of a building in a street in Richmond, almost directly opposite where I had parked the car today.

• Love 3
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

5 inches of snow wee hours and up to noon. I love snow. I got my studio lights set up today, boxed up Christmas decorations and made umpteen trips to the downstairs storage room.

Hope I get buns of steel.

I’m glad I have the lights set up because I can now shoot small items again in my light tent.

I’ve been having trouble finding replacement bulbs for my soft boxes in case one burns out. I want CFLs, 50-65watts, 5000-5500 Kelvin, CRI 90 or above for color accuracy.

The place I ordered my setup from doesn’t carry those particular bulbs anymore.

Amazon probably. Search for Photography lights or Studio lights.

No use sending you mine: 220V. I'm trying to replace mine with LEDs. Not that easy with higher output (around 4000 lumen) bulbs.

Also like CFLs most of them show banding because of the frequency.

I bought one of these for small stuff and film copying. Mine was $26.15 exactly one year ago, so the price went up slightly.

Someone mentioned them here on the forum. Flicker free and CRI 95. Fits on a stand or tripod. Could just be perfect for the light tent.

wim

3 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Amazon probably. Search for Photography lights or Studio lights.

No use sending you mine: 220V. I'm trying to replace mine with LEDs. Not that easy with higher output (around 4000 lumen) bulbs.

Also like CFLs most of them show banding because of the frequency.

I bought one of these for small stuff and film copying. Mine was $26.15 exactly one year ago, so the price went up slightly.

Someone mentioned them here on the forum. Flicker free and CRI 95. Fits on a stand or tripod. Could just be perfect for the light tent.

wim

+1, no reason not to go to LEDs now. We haven't put in a CFL for years.

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

+1, no reason not to go to LEDs now. We haven't put in a CFL for years.

Agree whole heartedly with use of LEDs. When I moved into my bungalow earlier last year (I was about to write this year) I changed all lighting to LEDs including security lighting outside which I installed myself. There had not been any SLs before I arrived. All my photographic lights have been LEDs for some time now.

Allan

PS We have a dusting of snow here.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Agree whole heartedly with use of LEDs. When I moved into my bungalow earlier last year (I was about to write this year) I changed all lighting to LEDs including security lighting outside which I installed myself. There had not been any SLs before I arrived. All my photographic lights have been LEDs for some time now.

Allan

PS We have a dusting of snow here.

We haven't retrofitted, because the energy saving is smallish, but just gone LED as and when the last spare CFLs disappeared. But for domestic use LEDs do give a better light, they come on at full lumens, and the equivalent wattages on the boxes tell the truth, which CFLs never did.

42 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

But for domestic use LEDs do give a better light, they come on at full lumens, and the equivalent wattages on the boxes tell the truth, which CFLs never did.

We use all LED bulbs in the house now. When an H4 headlamp bulb in my car failed recently I was going to replace with a pair of LED bulbs, but Halfords only had 1, and that had been opened a sealed up with tape. I'm ordering 2 for next time a headlamp bulb fails. I will likely change most of the other bulbs for their LED equivalent too.

16 hours ago, sb photos said:

We use all LED bulbs in the house now. When an H4 headlamp bulb in my car failed recently I was going to replace with a pair of LED bulbs, but Halfords only had 1, and that had been opened a sealed up with tape. I'm ordering 2 for next time a headlamp bulb fails. I will likely change most of the other bulbs for their LED equivalent too.

Beware- replacement LED bulbs are not type approved unless the car was fitted with them originally. Although it probably won't be picked up in the MoT, using them in a headlamp designed for halogens is illegal and they may dazzle other drivers.

The only thing that is legal is a complete replacement LED headlamp unit.

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/are-led-headlights-legal-in-the-uk/

https://www.powerbulbs.com/blog/2020/03/led-headlights-road-legal

Halfords have a disclaimer that they're for off-road or internal use only.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

• Alamy locked this topic