Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

I went over to a cat-sitting client's apartment today to have tea with her because she is not going to the country as usual this weekend. She paid me for today and tomorrow even though I won't be working for her. She is the same client who offered to help if I had trouble paying for my cancer treatment years ago. Good, good person.

Paulette

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Good thread Betty.

The better half has decided to retire, at the end of the school term. As the school's are now closed, she has effectively retired as of now, which is nice.

Yes, a very good thing. I’m happy for you both.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Whether this is a good thing or not. Ordering online has its perils. Mainly the size of what I order. I thought I was ordering a small tube...maybe 3 pounds, of hamburger.

Just picked up my order, and I have a 10 pound tube. (Over 4.5kg) Emergency call message to my daughter to see if she needs any hamburger. I may be doling it out to my neighbors. 😲

Betty

I gave away 6 pounds of it. Whew!

• Love 1

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

I went over to a cat-sitting client's apartment today to have tea with her because she is not going to the country as usual this weekend. She paid me for today and tomorrow even though I won't be working for her. She is the same client who offered to help if I had trouble paying for my cancer treatment years ago. Good, good person.

Paulette

The world needs more like her, Paulette. You’re lucky to have her.

• Love 1

I finished pollarding our old beech tree. We may eventually get some small bits of it back, turned (literally) into beautiful ornaments by a talented nephew.

Just realised I didn't take a single photograph of any stage of the process.

• Like 1

I put a ring of stone around my new crabapple tree so my lawn guy wouldn’t destroy the bark and kill it with his trimmer like he did last summer. Not social distancing, but trimmer distancing! I’m looking forward to seeing the tree bloom. This is the one I had in Oklahoma City.

D5G4KN.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I put a ring of stone around my new crabapple tree so my lawn guy wouldn’t destroy the bark and kill it with his trimmer like he did last summer. Not social distancing, but trimmer distancing! I’m looking forward to seeing the tree bloom. This is the one I had in Oklahoma City.

D5G4KN.jpg

So beautiful, Betty. Thank you for posting it. We have a Redbud and a Dogwood in our courtyard here and they are not quite ready to bloom for us. They were planted by an Australian guy who lived across from me in the back building. I keep wishing I would run into him so I could show him the results of his care. He moved out long before the trees started blooming.

Paulette

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

So beautiful, Betty. Thank you for posting it. We have a Redbud and a Dogwood in our courtyard here and they are not quite ready to bloom for us. They were planted by an Australian guy who lived across from me in the back building. I keep wishing I would run into him so I could show him the results of his care. He moved out long before the trees started blooming.

Paulette

This is a time to appreciate the beauty around us. I love dogwoods, when I went to my son’s a year ago they were in bloom in Tennessee. White and pink. I expect the redbuds are starting to bloom in Oklahoma, the state tree.

I walked around Jeff’s neighborhood and took pictures of the dogwoods. The camera doesn’t do them justice.

Edited by Betty LaRue

Weird weather for this time of year which is generally very dry, but which has been rainy almost every day lately.  But this means local farmers (and I can see a coffee plantation in the hills above town) who can't get to Managua or don't think going to Managua is safe, will be selling produce in town as they did during the 2018 troubles.  Our vendors are still selling mandarins which are generally done by January.   Cabbage, broccoli, kale, lettuce, tomatoes, parsley, beans, corn, and coffee are local crops here within ten or 20 miles of town.  As long as the ATMs are kept full, and the internet is up, we will be getting our pensions.

People I care about seem to be doing self-isolation or taking protective measures fairly rigorously. 

• Love 1

I’m successful with a grocery order today, to pickup the things the other store didn’t have. Like sweet potatoes.

The sun broke through the heavy fog this morning late, the first sunshine I’ve seen for awhile.

On 23/03/2020 at 12:13, spacecadet said:

The supermarket had tonic AND orange juice so we don't have to drink gin on its own!😀

I can further report that Sainsbury's own brand tonic is fine if you can't get Schweppes, and half the price too.

• Love 1

I listened to really old songs on the Internet by Jimmy Rogers. My mother sang them, she could yodel. 
In the Jailhouse Now

T for Texas

Mule Skinner Blues

It brought back good memories of my mother.

1)No curry today in the restaurant where we met, but we celebrated our anniversary with a good bottle of champagne in bed.

2) "Basic necessities" includes alcohol so off-licences are allowed to stay open. Woo-hoo. Although we usually have 120 bottles of wine in, beer was running a bit short.

Edited by spacecadet

Same here, bottle shops are 'essential'. As from today, there will be a limit of 3 bottles per person. Between us that's 6. Humm... which day of the week are we not going to drink?  😃

Good thing that happened to me today? I will ignore the huge bill I had today for my campervan, and concentrate on feeling blessed to be healthy. A gigantic caravan arrived yesterday in the campsite, towed by a woman. Her husband is in a wheelchair with very limited movements. He has a fork attached to his wrist to feed by himself and a straw in his glass to drink. Plus she was having bearing problems with the caravan. Some people deserve a big medal. I'm feeling so so lucky and grateful.

8 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Daily limit. Should be enough.🤩

Good point but I want to avoid crowds as much as possible. I wouldn't go more than once a week, preferably every two weeks.

We also can't park easily in town with our minibus and have to carry all the boxes and groceries through the streets!

Reasons to be cheerful: that this is now my home... an old Methodist chapel (built in 1810), rather than my (even tinier) campervan.

Campervan owners are not welcome in the more remote parts of the UK at the moment. Some folk are going up to the highlands and islands, in a deluded attempt to 'escape' from coronavirus... and, in the process, putting pressure on local shops and healthcare.

old-sunday-school-asselby.jpg
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

Good point but I want to avoid crowds as much as possible. I wouldn't go more than once a week, preferably every two weeks.

We also can't park easily in town with our minibus and have to carry all the boxes and groceries through the streets!

I wish we could send you a trolley.

Wheelie suitcase perhaps?

Today became a necessity day. Three things to do which I decided could all be done at my local Supermarket which had also introduced an 'elderly' hour between 9am and 10am. This was the first time out since last week. Firstly, I filled up my car with fuel (not that I'll be going anywhere) and two staff members were hand cleaning the pump nozzles. Secondly, I went to the Pharmacy to request that the staff access my wife's repeat prescription because our local surgery has closed it's doors and is open for business by 'phone only and it seems you have to get the authorised medication from wherever you can. The staff were most obliging and helpful and got the job done. Thirdly, into the shopping area. It wasn't crowded, no queues, there were social distance markers everywhere, and hygiene was very evident. But the shopping!! Among all the necessary things I had to get, I was able to get eggs, bread, kitchen towel, AAANNNDDD TOILET ROLLS!!!! Not many on the shelves but does this now indicate that the stockpilers are getting to the stage where they are running out of storage space and store stock is now catching up?

This really made my day and my wife was as chuffed as mintballs when I got back. I can now relax behind closed doors and enjoy the garden and maybe even get my studio lights down from the loft!!

Jim :) 

• Love 1

Not today but later yesterday, I got a short visit with my daughter. She sat in her car with the window down in my driveway, and I stood in the fresh air 6 feet or more away. It was very nice. The last time we were together was 3 weeks ago when I drove her to physical therapy after her ankle surgery.

I’m very much missing face-to-face family, so this was good. Very good.

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue

• Alamy locked this topic