Jump to content

Your COVID-19 Images


Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

This was a real bugbear for me (see above- I'm one of the claustrophobes!) but I have a supertip! Only just discovered, I put it on another thread.

Try sneaking the nosepiece forward till it just slips over the mask seam. In my case it leaves enough of a gap to stop the misting completely.

Like so. Careful though, it's a sub-optimal position for the specs and narrows the field of view a bit. If it doesn't work, presumably you've already tried washing-up liquid or anti-mist lens cloth. Not the one you use for camera lenses of course!

 

 

 

Thanks, Mark. I've tried hitching my mask up like that with some success. However, my homemade mask isn't quite big enough, so it won't stay put for long. It also makes breathing a bit difficult. I do carry a lens cloth me. I'm hoping that I won't need glasses (except for reading) in a few weeks. Fortunately, I don't get claustrophobic, but I do feel like a bank robber. Is that a COVID selfie?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Thanks, Mark. I've tried hitching my mask up like that with some success. However, my homemade mask isn't quite big enough, so it won't stay put for long. It also makes breathing a bit difficult. I do carry a lens cloth me. I'm hoping that I won't need glasses (except for reading) in a few weeks. Fortunately, I don't get claustrophobic, but I do feel like a bank robber. Is that a COVID selfie?

That's right, taken on the Tube last week.

Yes the mask does have to go quite high for this trick- ours are homemade too, by the Beautiful Daughter no less. I have head straps because when I tried ear straps I pulled the glasses right off. You have to be careful with my overlap trick as well- glasses up then mask off or they go flying.

I see what you mean by the cataracts- no glasses at all! Best of luck with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

That's right, taken on the Tube last week.

Yes the mask does have to go quite high for this trick- ours are homemade too, by the Beautiful Daughter no less. I have head straps because when I tried ear straps I pulled the glasses right off. You have to be careful with my overlap trick as well- glasses up then mask off or they go flying.

I see what you mean by the cataracts- no glasses at all! Best of luck with it.

 

Thanks. I'll still need goggles for reading and probably computer work as well, but hopefully the world will look a bit less foggy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Spare a thought for those who find masks very claustrophobic and who may be close to panic after wearing one for a long period.

I for one put mine on at the last possible moment and do not waste a second in removing it the instant it's lawful to do so.

for me mask should be worn for protection of others from virus not from the law.  To me waiting a block until they are out of a busy crowded shopping street seems like a small thing for other humans, but i do appreciate that others may have other conditions that make that impossible

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Normspics said:

We have just gone back to online ordering of groceries as the second wave seems to be happening, our small country town is hitting new levels of infections previously unseen in the first wave.

 

stay safe.  Grocery is my only indoors activity, and i try now to time it when crowds are low.  My farmers market moved inside now every Sunday, and when i saw the crowds to get in i turn around....    

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

 

stay safe.  Grocery is my only indoors activity, and i try now to time it when crowds are low.  My farmers market moved inside now every Sunday, and when i saw the crowds to get in i turn around....    

 

Thank you, our farmers market closed down for sometime and recently reopened indoors too, we have not back been since. The online grocery ordering is working well and removing another potential threat, we are still walking in the woods which is great.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/11/2020 at 04:57, meanderingemu said:

 

stay safe.  Grocery is my only indoors activity, and i try now to time it when crowds are low.  My farmers market moved inside now every Sunday, and when i saw the crowds to get in i turn around....    

 

I was at the Granville Island food market a few weeks ago, and the socially-distanced "COVID queue" to get in was so long that I decided to sneak in the back door. I rationalized my sneaky move by telling myself that I was going inside only to take a few pictures, not shop. 🙈

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Covid can be a real bummer to date pictures. I'm editing an image of someone buying a coffee from a mobile coffee van in a public park taken yesterday. I wanted this image to illustrate the relaxed pace of life on a sunny day in this little town. Then I noticed a chalkboard at the front reminding people to keep distances. Off goes the writing on the board. Then I noticed a bottle of hand sanitizer. And yet another reminder on a poster behind the coffees. I can't win. I dragged all the corrective layers to the bin. This shot will be neither a Covid shot (signs not prominent enough, no masks) nor a timeless snapshot.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/11/2020 at 11:28, John Mitchell said:

 

I don't mind wearing my mask, but it makes my glasses (specs) fog up at this time of year, and I can't see a thing. Cataract surgery coming up soon. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

You’ll be amazed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Covid can be a real bummer to date pictures. I'm editing an image of someone buying a coffee from a mobile coffee van in a public park taken yesterday. I wanted this image to illustrate the relaxed pace of life on a sunny day in this little town. Then I noticed a chalkboard at the front reminding people to keep distances. Off goes the writing on the board. Then I noticed a bottle of hand sanitizer. And yet another reminder on a poster behind the coffees. I can't win. I dragged all the corrective layers to the bin. This shot will be neither a Covid shot (signs not prominent enough, no masks) nor a timeless snapshot.

 

2DF999Y.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, gvallee said:

Covid can be a real bummer to date pictures. I'm editing an image of someone buying a coffee from a mobile coffee van in a public park taken yesterday. I wanted this image to illustrate the relaxed pace of life on a sunny day in this little town. Then I noticed a chalkboard at the front reminding people to keep distances. Off goes the writing on the board. Then I noticed a bottle of hand sanitizer. And yet another reminder on a poster behind the coffees. I can't win. I dragged all the corrective layers to the bin. This shot will be neither a Covid shot (signs not prominent enough, no masks) nor a timeless snapshot.

 

That's a good point. A lot of our images are being time-stamped by COVID -- people wearing masks and physical distancing, signs, hand-sanitizer bottles, etc. -- and this will continue up to another year IMO. Then there are the twilight zone images like the one you posted that don't quite fit into either world. At least your spectacular landscape and wildlife images will be safe, unless of course crocodiles take to mask-wearing. 🙃

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/11/2020 at 15:24, John Mitchell said:

 

Thanks. I'll still need goggles for reading and probably computer work as well, but hopefully the world will look a bit less foggy.

Yes, I have no glasses for driving or watching television, but have some readers that seem to work fine for computer work also. What’s nice is I had astigmatism before. So I had to buy more expensive prescription glasses.  That was corrected in the implants, so I can buy inexpensive readers at the drug store. What I buy are about $20-30, with the frame quality as nice as at prescription eyeglass marts. An up version to the cheap ones at Walmart.
The ones I have now have lasted 4 years and are still perfect. 
My husband had about 20 of the Walmart variety. Everywhere I turned, there was a pair of his glasses. But the frames often broke. He would hold them by the eyepiece (known as the temple by we who worked in the field) and twirl them. A fidgety thing. No wonder they came apart.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Yes, I have no glasses for driving or watching television, but have some readers that seem to work fine for computer work also. What’s nice is I had astigmatism before. So I had to buy more expensive prescription glasses.  That was corrected in the implants, so I can buy inexpensive readers at the drug store. What I buy are about $20-30, with the frame quality as nice as at prescription eyeglass marts. An up version to the cheap ones at Walmart.
The ones I have now have lasted 4 years and are still perfect. 
My husband had about 20 of the Walmart variety. Everywhere I turned, there was a pair of his glasses. But the frames often broke. He would hold them by the eyepiece (known as the temple by we who worked in the field) and twirl them. A fidgety thing. No wonder they came apart.

 

My doc says that I'll just need those cheap drugstore glasses for reading. Luckily, I still have a couple of pairs left over from before I had to switch to glasses with progressive (tri-focal) lenses. Weirdly, I'll kind of miss wearing glasses all the time. I've gotten used to them, and I've been told that the nerdy look suits me. It will be nice not to see the world through dirty windows, though. I get the right eye, which is the worst, done on Tuesday. Shall report back when the fog has cleared.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

 

My doc says that I'll just need those cheap drugstore glasses for reading. Luckily, I still have a couple of pairs left over from before I had to switch to glasses with progressive (tri-focal) lenses. Weirdly, I'll kind of miss wearing glasses all the time. I've gotten used to them, and I've been told that the nerdy look suits me. It will be nice not to see the world through dirty windows, though. I get the right eye, which is the worst, done on Tuesday. Shall report back when the fog has cleared.

It’ll clear almost instantly, but you’ll probably have a shield on for a day or two or few. Any fog might be from the drops you have to put in. Once your good to go, you’ll find things that seemed soft appears overly crisp. Like grass for me..and MY hair!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/12/2020 at 17:50, Betty LaRue said:

It’ll clear almost instantly, but you’ll probably have a shield on for a day or two or few. Any fog might be from the drops you have to put in. Once your good to go, you’ll find things that seemed soft appears overly crisp. Like grass for me..and MY hair!!

 

Interesting. In my case, there's not a lot of hair left to look crisp. 😐

 

The doc told me the "down time" would be 24 hours. He didn't mention a shield, but I've read about that elsewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a cataract in one eye and had the operation when I lived in Philadelphia.  I could see in stereo for the first time in years, and no longer needed glasses for driving.  No complications. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/12/2020 at 17:50, Betty LaRue said:

It’ll clear almost instantly, but you’ll probably have a shield on for a day or two or few. Any fog might be from the drops you have to put in. Once your good to go, you’ll find things that seemed soft appears overly crisp. Like grass for me..and MY hair!!

 

I just got home from the cataract assembly line. Everything went smoothly. It's amazing what those surgeons can do in a few minutes. Things still look pretty fuzzy  (am typing this with my right eye closed), but I already notice the brighter colours. The doc told me to wear the shield for one night only. Thanks for all your helpful advice.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

 

I just got home from the cataract assembly line. Everything went smoothly. It's amazing what those surgeons can do in a few minutes. Things still look pretty fuzzy  (am typing this with my right eye closed), but I already notice the brighter colours. The doc told me to wear the shield for one night only. Thanks for all your helpful advice.

Glad it went well. When I said my hair looked crisp, it was a funny thing. I’d look in the mirror and think my hair looked dry and brittle. Well, it wasn’t, it’s just that it appeared soft for so long. I spent a couple of days giving myself hot oil treatments until I finally realized it was that I was seeing detail so well. Then I had limp oily hair to contend with. :D
edit: I was given Versaid (sp)? A drug that also is often given for colonoscopies, too. It puts you in a light sleep that if they shake you, you can rouse.

So I’m in dreamland while my eye is clamped open. I rouse, see vague shapes and find the doctor is discussing my football team with the nurses. (American football). He’s saying something about one of the players and he’s gotten it wrong. In a slurred voice I thought sounded perfectly intelligent, I proceeded to tell him how his opinion was wrong, and clued him in about the running back and how talented he was. Everyone froze, you could hear a pin drop. Then I heard a giggle. Then the lights went out again. I’m sure they adjusted my intravenous drip meds.

Just when the conversation got interesting.

Edited by Betty LaRue
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.