John Mitchell

Your COVID-19 Images

Beauty spot near me. Use the effin' bins !

Covid 19 coronavirus - the relaxation of the lockdown sees an upturn of fast food litter as takeaways begin to reopen again. Gloucestershire, UK. Stock Photo

Covid 19 coronavirus - the relaxation of the lockdown sees an upturn of fast food litter as takeaways begin to reopen again. Gloucestershire, UK.

• Like 1

COVID-19 home testing kit supplied to 10,000 randomly selected UK individuals by Imperial College London and Ipsos MORI on behalf of the DHSC. The research intention was to track the progress of the Coronavirus infection across the UK.

COVID-19 home testing kit supplied to 10,000 randomly selected individuals registered with a GP by Imperial College London and Ipsos MORI on behalf of the DHSC. An explanatory booklet, return label, individual barcode labels, flatpack return box, swab, plastic vial containing liquid, absorbent material and a biohazard bag are supplied. After nose and throat swabs are undertaken the swab shaft is broken and swab placed in the vial before being collected by a courier for delivery to a lab. The programme tracks the progress of the infection across the UK. Credit: Stephen Bell/Alamy Stock Photo

Edited by sb photos

Thailand child at the free food handout clearly confused at what is happening.

covid-19-food-free-food-handout-to-peopl

Edited by ReeRay
  • Upvote 1

On 08/04/2020 at 17:14, Avpics said:

Even after around a thousand deaths reported in 24hr I still feel that the gravity of the situation isn't appreciated due in part to the lack of visual coverage. It might seem gruesome, but seeing the effects the virus is having would help to get the point across and may in fact save lives.

I agree. They said that's what turned the tide in the Viet Nam war - seeing those photos - it's shocking and we need that visceral shock. The statistics are so mind-numbing as to become unreal in a way, but you can't internalize and accept photos of people suffering the same way. 

Edited by Marianne

On 16/05/2020 at 02:42, ReeRay said:

Child having sanitized her hands now being led to join the free food handout for the poor and underprivileged of Thailand.

Broke my heart shooting this stuff!

covid-19-food-child-cleaning-hands-with-

Hungry kids move hearts. These are important photos, difficult to take but we need to move out of our comfort zones and you have done that to contribute images that may well help keep this child and so many like her fed. 

• Like 1

As photographers we can do good during this time by telling the stories out there, so we should never feel we are doing something wrong. 

I remember the first time someone wrote me a letter (an actual letter years ago) thanking me for the information in one of my articles and telling me how it had helped her to be able to help her mother. In college I had written articles for the school paper that led to my college divesting their investments in companies that did business with South Africa during apartheid, but so many years later when I returned to writing, my focus was feature articles, so I didn't think that I was contributing to society, but that letter made me realize that even if I helped one person my work was doing more than just helping me make income. 

I wish my health did not keep me from getting out there to tell this story and I keep hoping that when they have a handle on the antibodies and whether they confer immunity I'll find out the weird symptoms I had back in March will tun out to have been Covid and that I'll be immune so I can cover the story and even if just in some small way, contribute to the knowledge base about this pandemic. I live in the well-off suburbs of NYC and many people don't realize we have great inequality here in the suburbs and children and families in need of food. There are people in need everywhere. I hope I'll be able to return to volunteering with low income immigrant children, who I miss so much. And I'd like to tell their story in photographs too. And this is not going to change, I fear, even when the pandemic runs its course with so many people who have lost jobs, parents who have quit their jobs because they have no childcare, people who can't work for fear of getting the disease due to pre-existing conditions or living with loved ones at risk. This story is far from over.

Keep making those photos. You are all doing good work!

Edited by Marianne
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Marianne said:

Hungry kids move hearts. These are important photos, difficult to take but we need to move out of our comfort zones and you have done that to contribute images that may well help keep this child and so many like her fed. 

Thanks for the comment - appreciated

People (myself included) lining up for "essentials" at a government liquor store in Vancouver

vancouver-canada-may-23-2020-people-prac

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ReeRay said:

Thanks for the comment - appreciated

Yes, great captures, ReeRay.

• Upvote 1

I came across this positive message (probably made by a child) on one of my recent walks around the hood --

vancouver-canada-may-23-2020-a-homemade-

• Upvote 1