Unfortunate positioning of watermark - what to do?

Question

I've just uploaded a photo of a Common Wombat taken in Tasmania. Unfortunately an 'a' from the watermark is directly on the wombat's eye. You can only see it without this on the small thumbnail. I suspect anyone who clicks on the thumbnail and zooms it will be put off by this, and my inclination is to delete it. Have other people done this with unfortunate placement of watermarks?

I was feeling ambivalent about the image anyway (as much as I love wombats), because it wasn't well-exposed to start with and while I did my best with post-processing, I still think it is a bit flat and not quite right. This is the photo (sorry, can't remember how to post large image directly in as it appears on Alamy website so sending link instead):

https://www.alamy.com/common-wombat-vombatus-ursinus-feeding-on-native-buttongrass-at-cradle-mountain-tasmania-image348502054.html

Cheers,

Sally

13 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, Sally R said:

I've just uploaded a photo of a Common Wombat taken in Tasmania. Unfortunately an 'a' from the watermark is directly on the wombat's eye. You can only see it without this on the small thumbnail. I suspect anyone who clicks on the thumbnail and zooms it will be put off by this, and my inclination is to delete it. Have other people done this with unfortunate placement of watermarks?

I was feeling ambivalent about the image anyway (as much as I love wombats), because it wasn't well-exposed to start with and while I did my best with post-processing, I still think it is a bit flat and not quite right. This is the photo (sorry, can't remember how to post large image directly in as it appears on Alamy website so sending link instead):

https://www.alamy.com/common-wombat-vombatus-ursinus-feeding-on-native-buttongrass-at-cradle-mountain-tasmania-image348502054.html

Cheers,

Sally

It's a lovely picture Sally. The watermark is not a problem. Anyone can guess what it looks like without it. Don't delete it!

Thank you 😊  I guess leaving it there means there is some possibility someone may buy it. There's a nice catch light in the wombat's eye which is obscured, but yes it is still evidently a wombat!

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Sally R said:

Cheers,

Sally

Flip horizontally and re-upload?

Mark

2 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Flip horizontally and re-upload?

Great solution! Thanks for thinking laterally! I never thought of that 🤔

Thanks Paulette. Yes I've just flipped it and about to upload, but cropping may be a good option in some instances too (especially if you flip it and the 'a' still falls in the wrong spot!).

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I think it’s fine. But I understand where you’re coming from. A bit aggravating.

Thanks Betty. Yes once I saw it I couldn't 'un-see' it. I also feel like the eyes are such an important point of communication between the viewer and the image subject.

Wombats are such characters. This one ambled right in front of me and began dining on buttongrass for dinner. They are incredibly cute as babies, and I've been lucky enough to hold a baby a couple of times at a wildlife park. They form quite close bonds with their carers if they have been orphaned, as sometimes happens when a mother wombat is hit by a car. If you would like 46 seconds of baby wombat cuteness, here is a short video:

I just had a very negative, sinking feeling -- I'll never see a live wombat. Such lovely little creatures.  I did hold a baby Kuala in Brisbane and a Big Red gave me a look that said, "Don't get one step closer." She was taller than me and had a Joey in her pouch.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I just had a very negative, sinking feeling -- I'll never see a live wombat. Such lovely little creatures.  I did hold a baby Kuala in Brisbane and a Big Red gave me a look that said, "Don't get one step closer." She was taller than me and had a Joey in her pouch.  

We have them in zoos, Ed. I'm sure you could track one down.

Edit: only one zoo- Hamerton in Cambridgeshire. Not really a day trip. Still, there they are.

https://www.hamertonzoopark.com/animal-gallery/project_australia_wombats/

17 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Awww, I want one! But it must stay a baby!

Yes they are adorable as babies. I remember a worker at a wildlife park telling us that she was caring for several babies in her house and they followed her everywhere. She then had to go away for a couple of weeks and worried they'd have forgotten about her when she returned, but when she sat down they just all came up and jumped in her lap and went to sleep. I think the adults are quite formidable and independent though!

15 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

There are many baby wombat videos on YouTube Ed, so should you not get to see one in the UK, you can at least see them there. If you ever visit Tasmania, I can recommend Trowunna Wildlife Sanctuary http://trowunna.com.au/ where there is a chance of getting to hold a baby one, which I had the joy of doing on two occasions. I went to Tasmania thinking Wombats are cute and friendly and Tasmanian Devils are aggressive and not quite so friendly. I learned that baby wombats are indeed very cute and friendly, while the adult ones seemed kind of nonchalant and to have quite strong personalities. Tassie Devils on the other hand I learned are really quite shy and that a lot of their seemingly aggressive behaviour is bluff. We even got to pat one and she had the softest fur (though still recommend taking care as they have incredibly strong jaws!). I came away in love with baby wombats, slightly scared of adult wombats, and rather fond of the Tassie devils.