Jump to content
stipe

Can covid-19 disease outbreak influence photos sales worldwide?

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

 

That should stop the virus getting through.... and the oxygen... at least you won't die of the virus... :lol:

 

Mark

:D:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

As I've reported, there is still food and loo paper available here in the centre of Liverpool. Protective masks? Nobody seems to have those. 

 

"What if" scenarios keep occurring to me. If they start to closedown public places, the Apple Store will close and I will not be able to upload anything to Alamy. My other option, the library, will closedown too. And what about Alamy?

 

I have had allergy and cough variant asthma for 30 years. It started in Oxfordshire during my last summer there. It visits me every single day . . . but not all day. Don't ask me why but it doesn't visit me when I'm drinking beer. 

 

I had a sale invoiced today, so someone is still manning the tiller. Avoid crowds and drink lotsa beer (well, not too much) and you should be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MizBrown said:

At this point, in Central America, Honduras, Panama, and Costa Rica have verified cases, while Belize, El Salvador, Guatemala, and Nicaragua don't.   We have had people planning to come anyway if they can, some imagining that getting out in the countryside will be an escape from the virus.   Nobody quite knows if the various health agencies have test kits to verify cases or not.  Guatemala, El Salvador, and Belize seem to be restricting some to a lot of travel.   Guatemala is closed to Europeans and returning citizens will be quarantined for 14 days. 

 

The US and the UK seem to be deliberately under testing and under reporting.   Cuba has reported two cases after not reporting any.   Cases in Central America are from either tourists from the US or from nationals returning from trips to Italy.   Hadn't realized Italy was such a popular travel destination for wealthier Central Americans, but here are immigrant families from there who've done well. 

 

Looks like Guatemala has just joined the Coronavirus club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

I suggest the UK government is taking an approach based on the following;

  • They believe a vaccine won't be available in time to make a significant difference.
  • Shutting down everything to reduce cases to a very low level will have a catastrophic economic and social impact that will go on for many, many months
  • The best way to get though this more swiftly is to permit some infection to spread amongst the population at a rate which is low enough that those who become seriously ill can be treated, but high enough that immunity within the population (herd immunity) increases more quickly to a level where potential transmission rates drop naturally. (A vaccination by active infection approach??)
  • Measures should be taken to try to avoid the most vulnerable contracting the infection during this phase
  • Stopping testing at home will make it appear that our infection rates haven't risen to alarming levels, thereby reducing public panic.

I make no comment as to whether this is a sensible approach or not, but I can understand the concept. 

 

Mark

I agree with some of this.

Here’s the thing. These are human beings in government. They are flawed as we all are. Everybody is a product of genetics, their upbringing, experiences and personal baggage.  There will always be differences of opinion about how to solve a problem. Make light of it to stem panic or scream the sky is falling, and those areas in between.

What happens to the economy is very valid, look what’s happening to the stock market. Retirement funds are shrunk. Business is shutting down, jobs are being lost.

Its very easy to point fingers at how any government is handing the crisis, but anyone should know that the leaders are having serious meetings with advisors on how to approach it with the public.

It’s not all on the leader, but the collective intelligence of all.  I don’t see a reason to hold one man, one woman to blame and begin lighting the bonfire under his/her feet.

I very well suspect if 6 of us here on this forum sat down together to discuss how this outbreak should be handled, there would be varying opinions, if not heated discussions.

Betty

Quote

 

 

  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MDM said:

Schools are known to be an a hotbed for virus transmission.

When I was on chemotherapy, I told my kids that if any of my grand-germbags were sick, stay away! 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

I have had allergy and cough variant asthma for 30 years. It started in Oxfordshire during my last summer there. It visits me every single day . . . but not all day. Don't ask me why but it doesn't visit me when I'm drinking beer. 

Maybe this is why, Ed. Maybe I should have had a glass of wine last evening during my really bad asthma attack. And yes, I cough with it, too.
At levels of initial intoxication, alcohol works as a vasodilator, causing blood vessels to relax and expand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Smartest thing anyone has said. Most people want to point fingers and blame. Blame the leaders, blame this person, this country, they should have done this sooner, they shoulda, shoulda. Then here comes politics.

And you have it right. Put the blame at the source. Wet markets. Obviously, China doesn’t care if their people get sick and die, so why would they care about the rest of the world?

Good for you for saying what needed saying. 👍 

That's a given, but our governments can only act on what they have control over.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

<snip>

I very well suspect if 6 of us here on this forum sat down together to discuss how this outbreak should be handled, there would be varying opinions, if not heated discussions.

Betty

 

 

I suspect that if 6 of us sat down together, one would cough and the other 5 would get up and run! 😂

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Looks like Guatemala has just joined the Coronavirus club.

 

All of the Central American cases have been either foreign tourists from the US or nationals who've come back from Italy.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Mark, if they cared, they’d do away (BAN) the wet markets. The latest thing they are saying is that the U.S. military gave it to them!!

They are taking no responsibility.

if they cared, the USA would do away (BAN) guns, so i guess you are saying the US doesn't care about its people 

 

 

easy to generalise 

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The UK government has done a u-turn and announced a ban on mass sporting  events it seems from next week. Timely move seeing as most mass event organisers have already banned their own themselves since today. 

Edited by MDM
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I suggest the UK government is taking an approach based on the following;

  • They believe a vaccine won't be available in time to make a significant difference.
  • Shutting down everything to reduce cases to a very low level will have a catastrophic economic and social impact that will go on for many, many months
  • The best way to get though this more swiftly is to permit some infection to spread amongst the population at a rate which is low enough that those who become seriously ill can be treated, but high enough that immunity within the population (herd immunity) increases more quickly to a level where potential transmission rates drop naturally. (A vaccination by active infection approach??)
  • Measures should be taken to try to avoid the most vulnerable contracting the infection during this phase
  • Stopping testing at home will make it appear that our infection rates haven't risen to alarming levels, thereby reducing public panic.

I make no comment as to whether this is a sensible approach or not, but I can understand the concept. 

 

Mark


This approach conflicts with the advice of the WHO and the approach of most other countries. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just be my luck I win a world cruise!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A former pupil who is now a consultant specialising in heart disease, whom I keep up with on Facebook, posted this by a doctor friend of hers. She totally endorses his message. Skip to about 30s to get to the start of the message. It's long, but worth listening to in full.

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shergar said:

Just be my luck I win a world cruise!


You might be lucky -  a whole ship to yourself. 

 

1 hour ago, Cryptoprocta said:

A former pupil who is now a consultant specialising in heart disease, whom I keep up with on Facebook, posted this by a doctor friend of hers. She totally endorses his message. Skip to about 30s to get to the start of the message. It's long, but worth listening to in full.


Great video thanks for posting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flattening the curve? #Catteningthecurve!

 

wim

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hello everyone this seems like a great forum - much better than SS' one 

I'm quite new on alamy & my brother Mark has been on here for many years.

I have a question: relating to coronavirus. I know a lot of you may travel. I have flights booked for March 19 but the place My wife & I are traveling to (Manila, Philippines)  has gone on lockdown. They  have stopped UK citizens from traveling there unless they are a spouse of a ph citizen which I am. but if we went there, we'd have to go in quarantine which naturaly we don't want and I couldn't take photos .

I luckily have travel insurance but the flight hasn't been cancelled yet. The travel agency has offered to rebook the flight for a  later time but want another £200 each which I cannot afford. I'm wondering if the travel insurance would cover the extra cost of rebooking the flight. 

Edited by dunstun365

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, losdemas said:

 

I suspect that if 6 of us sat down together, one would cough and the other 5 would get up and run! 😂

I would be the cougher! Asthmatic cough!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dunstun365 said:

I luckily have travel insurance but the flight hasn't been cancelled yet. The travel agency has offered to rebook the flight for a  later time but want another £200 each which I cannot afford. I'm wondering if the travel insurance would cover the extra cost of rebooking the flight. 

 I don't use travel agents myself as I always book the flights and accommodation myself but I would have thought the same rules would apply regarding flights booked via a travel agency in that if your destination goes on lockdown or the airline cancels the flight, they will offer you an alternative flight at a later date at no extra cost or a full refund. I would contact your insurance company first as they will know the exact legal position and wether the travel agency is correct in charging you an extra fee or wether they are pulling a fast one in view of the disastrous season ahead ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

A former pupil who is now a consultant specialising in heart disease, whom I keep up with on Facebook, posted this by a doctor friend of hers. She totally endorses his message. Skip to about 30s to get to the start of the message. It's long, but worth listening to in full.

 

Thanks for posting. I like the skeleton in the background.

 

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend of our granddaughter has just caught it so now we are worried about our grandchildren, on top of which we now cannot visit them either.

At least we can make video calls to stay in touch but my wife was only there a couple of days ago so there is an outside chance we may have been in contact with the virus. I must say we are more upset about not seeing the kids than worried about the virus.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

if they cared, the USA would do away (BAN) guns, so i guess you are saying the US doesn't care about its people 

 

 

easy to generalise 

 

woohoo a red arrow!....  bring it on. 

 

 

if they cared,   {Insert country you have prejudice about}  (A) would do away (BAN) with {insert typical generalization}  , so i guess you are saying (A) doesn't care about its people 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, dunstun365 said:

Hello everyone this seems like a great forum - much better than SS' one 

I'm quite new on alamy & my brother Mark has been on here for many years.

I have a question: relating to coronavirus. I know a lot of you may travel. I have flights booked for March 19 but the place My wife & I are traveling to (Manila, Philippines)  has gone on lockdown. They  have stopped UK citizens from traveling there unless they are a spouse of a ph citizen which I am. but if we went there, we'd have to go in quarantine which naturaly we don't want and I couldn't take photos .

I luckily have travel insurance but the flight hasn't been cancelled yet. The travel agency has offered to rebook the flight for a  later time but want another £200 each which I cannot afford. I'm wondering if the travel insurance would cover the extra cost of rebooking the flight. 

The Foreign Office is advising against all but essential travel. So if you went, your travel insurance would be invalid anyway.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/philippines

As I understand it, that means you can cancel your flight and get a refund. If the airline won't refund, then your insurance should cover it as long as you took out insurance before the outbreak.

 

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, there goes our holiday to Croatia next month🙁

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MDM said:


This approach conflicts with the advice of the WHO and the approach of most other countries. 

Maybe so, but in the countries which are shutting down schools and nurseries, who is looking after the children of the essential health and care workers? Are they being gathered informally to be 'minded' together?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.