stipe

Can covid-19 disease outbreak influence photos sales worldwide?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MDM said:

Yes. Ignorance is not an excuse and education is required. Racism is a terrible blight on our world. It is a difficult one sometimes though knowing how to deal with it. I have racist neighbours who don't seem to realise they are racists. They use racist and bigoted language about my other Pakistani neighbours which I find despicable. I am no wimp when it comes to racism or bigotry but I don't wish to fall out with neighbours so I just ignore them and keep away.  That would change if they were bigoted towards me but they are not to my face at least.  Being Irish I have experienced bigotry in Britain in the past but not for a long time now as there are lots of other foreigners for the bigots to target nowadays. They are a minority but not an insignificant one unfortunately. 

To get something straight, I am not bigoted. If you were here, you could ask any who has ever known me. My mistake was not saying the Chinese government, meaning because of SARS, should have shut down the wet markets to protect their people from another event like SARS.  I never meant the Chinese people. Sometimes a word gets left out.

My husband and I mixed socially with many people of different races, and had them to dinner, as they did us. In fact, in the south, our landlady rebuked me for having a black person to dinner, even though he was my husband’s best friend.

We actually were discriminated against many years ago when we were temporarily living in California. Because we were from Oklahoma, and some of those people seem to think we were straight out of the book, “The Grapes of Wrath.”  Weird how their eyes and demeanor iced over after asking where we were from. Michael, I’m sure you have experienced that, being Irish. What’s with that? I’m of Irish and Scottish descent.

I see a lot of bigotry in this forum. Especially against America and Americans. You look back at my threads and see if I’ve ever said something derogatory against your country or countrymen.

Now look back at this thread and see if you can say the same.

What surprises me is how many unkind people there are who jump on the least thing, ready to rip people apart. I guess I will always be surprised.

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Nah. Liverpool is 91% white. 50% have Irish ancestors. New York?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_New_York_City

Back in the day, Ed, Victoria, Texas seemed quite diverse. Maybe that’s because it was the first place I lived that had any diversity.

20 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

To get something straight, I am not bigoted. If you were here, you could ask any who has ever known me. My mistake was not saying the Chinese government, meaning because of SARS, should have shut down the wet markets to protect their people from another event like SARS.  I never meant the Chinese people. Sometimes a word gets left out.

My husband and I mixed socially with many people of different races, and had them to dinner, as they did us. In fact, in the south, our landlady rebuked me for having a black person to dinner, even though he was my husband’s best friend.

We actually were discriminated against many years ago when we were temporarily living in California. Because we were from Oklahoma, and some of those people seem to think we were straight out of the book, “The Grapes of Wrath.”  Weird how their eyes and demeanor iced over after asking where we were from. Michael, I’m sure you have experienced that, being Irish. What’s with that? I’m of Irish and Scottish descent.

I see a lot of bigotry in this forum. Especially against America and Americans. You look back at my threads and see if I’ve ever said something derogatory against your country or countrymen.

What surprises me is how many unkind people there are who jump on the least thing, ready to rip people apart. I guess I will always be surprised.

Betty

It's not a question of bigotry, its facts. Does anyone really believe that these 'wet markets' should still exist after who knows how many thousands will die because of them. Should the world turn a blind eye when it's all over.

Apart from which it wasn't Betty that posted the original text it was me. and I have already apologised if there was any misunderstanding given in the original post.

Betty is right,  there are too many people ready to jump on someone for the smallest mistake.

• Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Betty

Yes, Betty, I can attest to the way "Okie" was used as an insult in California when I was growing up there. Not so much now, I think, at least partly due to the enormous charm of  😗Reba McEntire ☺️..... and you, of course.

Paulette

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, BobD said:

It's not a question of bigotry, its facts. Does anyone really believe that these 'wet markets' should still exist after who knows how many thousands will die because of them. Should the world turn a blind eye when it's all over.

Apart from which it wasn't Betty that posted the original text it was me. and I have already apologised if there was any misunderstanding given in the original post.

Betty is right,  there are too many people ready to jump on someone for the smallest mistake.

Deleted 

Edited by Thyrsis
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Abiyoyo said:

Is there a drastic reduction of viewing images recently due to covid-19? My latest number show that.

My views are as normal, my zooms and CTR are well above my average, however I have no Alamy sales this month.

11 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Two different stories on the rush to buy guns in the US using very graphic, very similar pictures of queues outside the same establishment by different photographers:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/us-sales-guns-ammunition-soar-amid-coronavirus-panic-buying

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-15/coronavirus-pandemic-gun-sales-surge-us-california

They seem to have been taken from some distance away, I think I would keep my distance if I was photographing people queuing up to buy assault weapons, puts photographing empty toilet roll shelves in Waitrose into perspective.

Edit: Actually from the position of the people in the queue they were taken at almost the same time.

Very distressing indeed. What in the world are they thinking...😲

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Very distressing indeed. What in the world are they thinking...😲

interesting what some places normalize.   

Posted (edited)

It is what it is as the man said.  I am not going to even bother arguing this any more. Pointless. 

As I said, if one supports those who support racism and bigotry then fundamentally one is a racist and a bigot. This may be out of ignorance but is that an excuse? Maybe but it is a weak one. Bigotry thrives on populism and populism is growing like a virus. 

Criticising politicians is not the same as criticising citizens. That is ridiculous. Criticising Boris Johnson or the British government’s approach to the  pandemic does not mean one hates Britain or British people and thankfully we have the freedom to do so. The government has made some very significant u-turns in its advice in the last few days in fact. Anyone for the pub now? 

The same for America. There are so many things I love about America and there are some things I really do not like. The same goes for my own country. And again thankfully I am allowed to criticise it. 

Enough said. Time might be truly short - who knows? Best of luck y’all. As Hank Williams said “I’ll never get out of this world alive”. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 2

If I could go back to the original question here, "Can covid-19 disease outbreak influence photos sales worldwide?"

The answer is an obvious YES. This virus has already taken over everything including photography. 

24 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

If I could go back to the original question here, "Can covid-19 disease outbreak influence photos sales worldwide?"

The answer is an obvious YES. This virus has already taken over everything including photography. 

At least, Ed, if you actually manage to shoot something, you’ve found a solution to uploading even though the Apple store is closed.  I can’t seem to get motivated. It’s very gloomy here, maybe when/if we get some sunshine. I see several more days of clouds/mist and rain ahead, though.

I would think this could be a good time to shoot architecture as long as you can do it safely. Not so many people in the way of the features. I might try to do that myself once the weather improves.

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

Yes, Betty, I can attest to the way "Okie" was used as an insult in California when I was growing up there. Not so much now, I think, at least partly due to the enormous charm of  😗Reba McEntire ☺️..... and you, of course.

Paulette

Don’t forget Blake Shelton, who lives in southern Oklahoma!

53 minutes ago, MDM said:

It is what it is as the man said.  I am not going to even bother arguing this any more. Pointless. 

As I said, if one supports those who support racism and bigotry then fundamentally one is a racist and a bigot. This may be out of ignorance but is that an excuse? Maybe but it is a weak one. Bigotry thrives on populism and populism is growing like a virus. 

Criticising politicians is not the same as criticising citizens. That is ridiculous. Criticising Boris Johnson or the British government’s approach to the  pandemic does not mean one hates Britain or British people and thankfully we have the freedom to do so. The government has made some very significant u-turns in its advice in the last few days in fact. Anyone for the pub now? 

The same for America. There are so many things I love about America and there are some things I really do not like. The same goes for my own country. And again thankfully I am allowed to criticise it. 

Enough said. Time might be truly short - who knows? Best of luck y’all. As Hank Williams said “I’ll never get out of this world alive”. 

Without living in your country(s), how could I possibly pass judgment? On your way of life or anything else. I can’t. I wouldn’t have the history to shape my thoughts.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Without living in your country(s), how could I possibly pass judgment? On your way of life or anything else. I can’t. I wouldn’t have the history to shape my thoughts.

when did you live in China?

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

🥱🥱🥱 Dead horses come to mind.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Betty. I should say that I don’t think you are intentionally bigoted but some of the things you say are very easily interpreted in that way. That is why I actually defended you to CarloBo in trying to point out that by your own admission you are very gullible. However, there is no other way to interpret some of your statements about China and the Chinese as they were originally written other than as bigotry, whether that was intentional or not. That is also why I made a bear joke about you pawsing for thought. A little hint that what you were saying could be highly offensive in this international forum. 

I think it is also important to be aware that on this side of the Atlantic, particularly in the English speaking countries, we are inundated by American culture in so many ways that many of us have a far greater understanding of and familiarity with American history than the average American is of British or Irish culture and history. Movies, music, the media and literature have all played their part in our absorption of American culture. The opposite happens as well but the influence is tiny in comparison to what flows the other way. 

And the political influence of the USA here is orders of magnitude greater than the other way round so that American  politics is of far greater significance to us than British or Irish politics is to most Americans. The presidential election is actually of major interest and importance to us for numerous reasons. 

Also I have been to America four times in my life as well and have loads of relatives there so I have lots of first hand experience.

I wish you the best and don’t want to continue with these fraught discussions but I find it difficult to  just stand by and see statements that are explicitly or implicitly bigoted, intentional or not, go by unchallenged. 

Edited by MDM

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yes, it seems inevitable that we'll start feeling the pinch soon. The anticipated downturn hasn't hit me yet for some reason. I'm actually having an above average month. Who knows how long that will last, though. One encouraging thing about stock photography is that it's a totally Web-based business now and hence can be carried out anywhere at anytime under almost any circumstances, unlike traditional "bricks and mortar" businesses that are being forced to close altogether.

11 hours ago, CarloBo said:

Sorry no allowance for comments based on prejudice and ignorance.

China has been my second home for the last few years. While I have some reserves about their government, it's the only country who's helped Italy so far.

US? a Tweet.

+1.  I get really tired of people with small minds and little experience in the world.

Chuck

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Midway through the month and only two sales to report. Last month's payout was the lowest I've seen in a long while. Zooms have been better than my average by quite a margin, but buyers appear to be window shopping only. Given the size of the Alamy collection as compared to my modest portfolio I guess that my results are statistically irrelevant, but the signs are not good, dark clouds on the horizon, and now threats over incorrect labelling of photos - not sure I need any of the hassle. Motivation near zero....

I went out in the car yesterday and photographed some rural churches - I didn't see a single person so was in effect self-isolated.

I caught the part of a radio commentary about how this virus might leave permanent changes of our way of life. Things that just haven't changed will be reappraised - the way school exams are done could be one small example, or that teaching is still largely done face to face in crowded rooms. 

Maybe less international travel and more local, individual/small group activity?

In terms of stock uses I can only see this accelerating the move to online digital uses. 

At least we can keep working through this and as others have said there will be continuing income even if there is a 'pinch'. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As a Westminster (London) based news photographer I face difficult choices.  To me, it is important that there is still news photography taking place.  The UK is about to enact some of the most draconian legislation since the Second World War.  We are living in history and to me it is important this is documented.

To balance this I have to take public transport to London with the risks that entails.  There are far fewer events and fewer photographers (in Downing Street yesterday about half the normal tog population).  So the social distancing is less of an issue than it could be.

For the moment I am in “Keep calm and carry on” mode.  I guess time will tell.....

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, IanDavidson said:

As a Westminster (London) based news photographer I face difficult choices.  To me, it is important that there is still news photography taking place.  The UK is about to enact some of the most draconian legislation since the Second World War.  We are living in history and to me it is important this is documented.

To balance this I have to take public transport to London with the risks that entails.  There are far fewer events and fewer photographers (in Downing Street yesterday about half the normal tog population).  So the social distancing is less of an issue than it could be.

For the moment I am in “Keep calm and carry on” mode.  I guess time will tell.....

Just a thought. I can understand your argument for continuing as normal as long as you don't have any serious underlying health conditions. However, even if you are perfectly healthiy, it is also important to consider the greatly increased risk of becoming infected with Covid-19 and potentially passing it on to others, especially if you are living with or in direct contact with anyone who might be in a higher risk category.

The risk of contracting Covid-19 is increasing exponentially by the day but it is impossible to tell at what rate due to nearly  complete lack of testing in the UK in the non-hospitalised population. A conservative estimate would be that the number of cases is doubling every 3 days and, because London is known to be well ahead of the rest of the country, the risk of infection is much greater for anyone using public transport in London, as social distancing is essentially impossible.

I also have to wonder if it might be more relevant and ultimately historically important to document the effects in your own area rather than risk continuing to travel at this point in time. I am sure the temptation to continue must be great, given that you have access to Downing Street and to getting shots of the people who are in the process of enacting this draconian legislation. However, as there are so many shots already of these people getting out of cars or going in and out of number 10, one would have to wonder if it is really worth the risk to capture more photos like this. If historical documentation is the goal, then most of the real action is taking place across the country and that is what will be really historically important down the line. You would also be much less at riskof contracting Covid-19, as you could practise social distancing.

Edited by MDM
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I went out in the car yesterday and photographed some rural churches - I didn't see a single person so was in effect self-isolated.

Did the same, maybe less churches.. took a packed lunch and a flask, so stayed away from the tea rooms...

1 hour ago, IanDavidson said:

I hope our shiny new chancellors measures help the self employed.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, IanDavidson said:

Remember, Ian, that half the smudgers in Downing Street are staffers who are told to, and presumably being paid to, attend. Alamy don’t pay me to stand in Downing Street for hours on end catching a cold so for the time being I will forego another set of Cabinet Ministers entering and leaving. The risk to health in travelling to and from via the underground is too great. I’m going to concentrate on more local news and non-news stuff, I’m with MDM’s assessment.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1