stipe

Can covid-19 disease outbreak influence photos sales worldwide?

Posted (edited)

Two different stories on the rush to buy guns in the US using very graphic, very similar pictures of queues outside the same establishment by different photographers:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/us-sales-guns-ammunition-soar-amid-coronavirus-panic-buying

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-15/coronavirus-pandemic-gun-sales-surge-us-california

They seem to have been taken from some distance away, I think I would keep my distance if I was photographing people queuing up to buy assault weapons, puts photographing empty toilet roll shelves in Waitrose into perspective.

Edit: Actually from the position of the people in the queue they were taken at almost the same time.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Two different stories on the rush to buy guns in the US using very graphic, very similar pictures of queues outside the same establishment by different photographers:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/us-sales-guns-ammunition-soar-amid-coronavirus-panic-buying

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-15/coronavirus-pandemic-gun-sales-surge-us-california

They seem to have been taken from some distance away, I think I would keep my distance if I was photographing people queuing up to buy assault weapons, puts photographing empty toilet roll shelves in Waitrose into perspective.

Edit: Actually from the position of the people in the queue they were taken at almost the same time.

How terrifying. 

They are not afraid of the virus they are afraid of their fellow citizens and don't trust their government. 

I don't think there is any need to say more, what a statement about a country. 

And I see that the great orange one is busy looking to find others to blame for this 'foreign' problem. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Is there a drastic reduction of viewing images recently due to covid-19? My latest number show that.

I personally don't intend to restart my long-ago career in photojournalism. But already there is only this on subject, this one story. And we've all seen the snaps of empty street and supermarket shelves. How might someone take a picture of an empty corporate bank account? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I personally don't intend to restart my long-ago career in photojournalism. But already there is only this on subject, this one story. And we've all seen the snaps of empty street and supermarket shelves. How might someone take a picture of an empty corporate bank account? 

I don't intend to shoot any shots of empty shelves in supermarkets; I'm sure we have enough already.

But, thinking more laterally, there are so so many other ideas... which can be translated in a visual way: self-isolation, social-distancing, communicating with family via Skype and Facetime, etc...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Abiyoyo said:

Is there a drastic reduction of viewing images recently due to covid-19? My latest number show that.

I was just about to post the same finding. My latest views are dramatically down. 

30 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

I don't intend to shoot any shots of empty shelves in supermarkets; I'm sure we have enough already.

But, thinking more laterally, there are so so many other ideas... which can be translated in a visual way: self-isolation, social-distancing, communicating with family via Skype and Facetime, etc...

..... also the next phase: activities possible, things to do close to home as people will be less inclined to travel.....  and yes business impacted (e.g.i am uploading any cruiseship i have that have none in the database).   

false search result today (corona empty place)....  not what i expected when i uploaded this 6 months ago

Empty bottles of beer and liquor left abandoned  at foot of nameless monument in London Stock Photo

19 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Under the circumstances, I took down the picture of me smiling. 

Went to the Apple Store, Boots Pharmacy, and the M&S Foodhall today. Apple was closed. I was able to upload some images to Alamy using their wifi from outside the door. I wonder if Alamy will close. Picked up my new eyeglasses at Boots. The staff was using hand sanitiser between customers. But they had none to sell and they had no masks either. I got my month's supply of Rx meds yesterday.

No loo paper at M&S. (I bought some last week.) They had food on the shelves but not everything I wanted. They had no blueberry muffins. No blueberry muffins for the last three days!!! Does Boris know about this?

The solitary days and nights that medical folks are suggesting for all has in fact been my normal life for the past two years. In addition, I wash my hands a lot and am careful what I touch when I'm out. 

I have been building up a steady supply of used loo roll if you need to buy some. Might even have a couple of sheets of blueberry muffin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I heard from one of my cat-sitting clients today. She wanted to know how I feel about working now but also offered to help if I needed something. She is the same one who offered to help me with the cost of my cancer treatment. I am happy to keep working and am losing work because of the virus. That client has cancelled some small trips and probably will have to cancel a big one to Israel at the end of May. Losing $$$$. On a brighter note, someone I don't know in my building has posted her cell number and an offer to help if anyone can't get out to shop for groceries. I have probably passed her in the hall many times but have not known her name. So people definitely are stepping up.

Paulette

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Empty streets shots need to link with the virus or somehow demonstrate that it is NOW.

Many could quite easily, even of places like Piccadilly Circus,  have been taken on a summer Sunday morning.

Mind you so could other shots that come easily to mind.

Person sitting staring out of window?

Person obviously alone on the phone?

Delivering shopping to elderly person who is opening the door as deliverer walks away?

Also, positive things such as getting on with a hobby, reading, doing something enriching and slow.

The ones that don't come so easily to mind are probably worth keeping to oneself ( if I think of some!) 😁

By the way visiting medieval churches seems to be okay as far as self-isolation goes - they were open today - some I am the first one in the visitor book for 2020. And so many treasures....

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

No blueberry muffins for the last three days!!! Does Boris know about this?

Knows but doesn't care more like. probably gets his flown in from Mustique by one of his rich chums.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

also photos of people seeking jobs, financial relief, unemployment benefits;  photos of take-out, and of take-out delivery workers like grubhub, seamless, etc, postmates, etc.

this was incidental, but somebody downloaded a photo this yesterday to illustrate a story of a business creating a relief fund for their workers.

https://www.foodandwine.com/fwpro/undocumented-restaurant-workers-win-son-coronavirus

Edited by sooth

Posted (edited)

I telephoned my former business today , a luggage company I founded in 1969, out of concern to how the crisis is affecting them.

https://www.goplaces.co.uk/

Needless to say being a travel related business it is having a dramatic effect on them. They are holding a meeting tomorrow with the view that the majority of staff will have to take unpaid leave. They are such nice people, it worries me how many small businesses will go to the wall over this.

In the unlikely event anyone needs luggage I whole heartily recommend them.

As a disclaimer I no longer have any interest in the business. 

Edited by BobD

On 15/03/2020 at 20:14, MDM said:

You might want to make some allowance for Betty. If what she says above is true, then she will literally believe anything. I am not sure that it is true but if it is then .........

Sorry no allowance for comments based on prejudice and ignorance.

China has been my second home for the last few years. While I have some reserves about their government, it's the only country who's helped Italy so far.

US? a Tweet.

• Upvote 1

I would love suggestions (if anyone has them) for adding keywords to older images to make them more relevant currently. For example, for photos of people alone I've added "self-isolation", "self-isolating" etc. And pictures of people standing far apart I've added "social distancing" Any other ideas? And I apologize if this has already been brought up and I missed it. It's a long thread and I skipped over parts of it 😬

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

By the way visiting medieval churches seems to be okay as far as self-isolation goes - they were open today - some I am the first one in the visitor book for 2020. And so many treasures....

The Church of England is "suspending all services" today. More than two dozen people will be inconvenienced...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, CarloBo said:

Sorry no allowance for comments based on prejudice and ignorance.

Yes. Ignorance is not an excuse and education is required. Racism is a terrible blight on our world. It is a difficult one sometimes though knowing how to deal with it. I have racist neighbours who don't seem to realise they are racists. They use racist and bigoted language about my other Pakistani neighbours which I find despicable. I am no wimp when it comes to racism or bigotry but I don't wish to fall out with neighbours so I just ignore them and keep away.  That would change if they were bigoted towards me but they are not to my face at least.  Being Irish I have experienced bigotry in Britain in the past but not for a long time now as there are lots of other foreigners for the bigots to target nowadays. They are a minority but not an insignificant one unfortunately. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The thing I miss most about NYC is the rich mix of cultures. 

47 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

The Church of England is "suspending all services" today. More than two dozen people will be inconvenienced...

Yes, but the churches will stay open! 

23 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I find this article very reassuring and sort of understand the reasoning. 

https://www.calcalistech.com/ctech/articles/0,7340,L-3800632,00.html

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Interview

Corona Is Slowing Down, Humanity Will Survive, Says Biophysicist Michael Levitt

Nobel laureate and Stanford professor Michael Levitt unexpectedly became a reassuring figure in China at the peak of the coronavirus pandemic. Now he assures Israelis: statistics show the virus is on a downturn

This is somewhat reassuring. However, I think that the USA especially is a ticking time-bomb at the moment for a number of reasons that I won't get into. Things are going to get a heck of a lot worse there before they start getting better. I sincerely hope I'm totally wrong about this.

Also, I have a feeling that Russia is under-reporting cases, probably for political reasons, and it has about 150 million people. Who knows what's really happening there. And then there's Africa...

Speaking of NYC, my daughter, who has been holed up in her Lower Manhattan studio apartment, will be coming to stay with me for awhile. Normally, I think she’d hold off a bit before leaving, but her best friend, who is also from our North Florida town, has a (non-viral) family medical emergency. Since the friend has rented a car to drive south first thing in the morning, my daughter and her dog will be coming down, too. Her only concern is the possibility of sharing germs with me, but my health is good, so I’ll take my chances. I’ll be happy to have her here, and can maybe take some pictures of an overly stressed millennial working remotely. She’ll be thrilled. 😎

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

This is somewhat reassuring. However, I think that the USA especially is a ticking time-bomb at the moment for a number of reasons that I won't get into. Things are going to get a heck of a lot worse there before they start getting better. I sincerely hope I'm totally wrong about this.

and with the US  a time-bomb, i feel sorry for Mexico, their system will not be able to handle any escalation of the virus  

Edited by meanderingemu

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

The thing I miss most about NYC is the rich mix of cultures. 

Erm... Liverpool has an amazingly diverse population...  🤔