Can covid-19 disease outbreak influence photos sales worldwide?

28 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

the politics at play everywhere is crazy.....  the last thing i would ever thought i was going to be positive about are policies by La CAQ, the current Quebec government, but there level of pro-action and transparency on the crisis is really impressive.... in fact many journalists are doing the same... 

I'm not a fan of Legault's policies either. However, I have to admit that Quebec seems to be taking the lead when it comes to COVID-19. La Belle Province always has been a weird mix of progressive and draconian ideas. It's a bit like the extreme climate -- tropical in the summer, arctic in the winter.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

"And what's all this about arming bears?" 

There was a general at the Pentagon who tried to put together a Special Forces Group of bears. The Fury Fighters they were going to be called. It turned out that, with a little redesigning of firearms, bears were pretty good shots. But in the end they abandoned the idea because the bears would not march in formation. Bears, it seems, just don't get along with other bears unless it's mating season.

20 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

😊 Are you pulling our legs, Edo? I’m very gullible. I believe you unless I otherwise find you’re lying through your teeth.

32 minutes ago, CarloBo said:

Hopefully Alamy will close this thread soon so that we won't have to read such ignorant  comments from Mrs. 2nd amendment.

You might want to make some allowance for Betty. If what she says above is true, then she will literally believe anything. I am not sure that it is true but if it is then .........

Edited by MDM
  • Upvote 1

It would be more fruitful if we discussed what we can do with the additional time we are likely to have at home, and also ideas for stock photos related to the pandemic.

I am going to be up-to-date with new images soon and will then be doing a lot of stuff on my website and also on Alamy improving tags, searching out images which should be improved.

Perhaps a group of contributors - forum regulars - could pool resources in some way to check out each other's images, captions, etc - reporting back on any errors, problems ina  spirit of co-operation? Any ideas for some sort of mutually beneficial project?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

It would be more fruitful if we discussed what we can do with the additional time we are likely to have at home, and also ideas for stock photos related to the pandemic.

I am going to be up-to-date with new images soon and will then be doing a lot of stuff on my website and also on Alamy improving tags, searching out images which should be improved.

Perhaps a group of contributors - forum regulars - could pool resources in some way to check out each other's images, captions, etc - reporting back on any errors, problems ina  spirit of co-operation? Any ideas for some sort of mutually beneficial project?

Great idea. The principle of cooperation sounds interesting (as long as it is not considered to be a form of communism 🤔).

For me though I would be more interested in something about photo technique. One thing I started during the winter was focus stacking for closeup work but I haven't taken it too far, partly because of all that slide copying stuff you started 😀. Closeup focus stacking is a really interesting technique as it allows for some pretty amazing pictures that are not possible with straight one off shots. And it is perfect for indoor work. Anyway if anyone is interested in sharing info or pics, then I would be quite happy to contribute or organise a thread and somewhere to upload pictures. 

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

watch Fleabag, having seen a couple episode on a flight....

Oh most definitely watch Fleabag but start from the the very beginning. It’s an eye opener and very, very funny!

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

It would be more fruitful if we discussed what we can do with the additional time we are likely to have at home....

Well I’ve bought some jigsaws which arrived today, taken phone pictures of the pieces, uploaded, and they will go on Alamy via St***imo tomorrow. Might take me a couple of months to complete a jigsaw though!

• Like 1

I'm thinking that, although we have some sharp differences in politics and religion -- nether of which Alamy would allow us to get into if it was not for this health crisis -- we are a pretty tight, supportive, caring bunch in this forum. Keste! 

I decided not to continue with the bears stuff. Too bad, because I had a whole bunch of military animals to discuss: Flying Tigers Screaming Eagles, Tunnel Rats, and of course Navy Seals. 

35 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm thinking that, although we have some sharp differences in politics and religion -- nether of which Alamy would allow us to get into if it was not for this health crisis -- we are a pretty tight, supportive, caring bunch in this forum. Keste! 

I decided not to continue with the bears stuff. Too bad, because I had a whole bunch of military animals to discuss: Flying Tigers Screaming Eagles, Tunnel Rats, and of course Navy Seals. 

Tunnels Rats...Vietnam, right?

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Not sure why someone has given this a red arrow. Seems good to me. Thanks for posting. 

45 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Please don’t stop Edo. That was really funny and I promise not to tease anyone. 

Edited by MDM
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Leuitenant Pigeon.....

Tunnel Rats in the Nam, right. 

Remember the film Day of the Dolphin, with George C. Scott? I understand that George was harder to get along with on the set than the dolphins.

I think that bit has run its course, Michael. T'was John Morrison's idea. 

6 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Major Lance... The Captain and Tenille...

Major Tom, surely!

Or even Catch 22’s Major Major Major Major...

Edited by Thyrsis
Just now, NYCat said:

OOOOO Betty. Those moving dots make me very nervous. Are they the insects you get in your mulch??

Love, Paulette

Hahaha. I don’t get insects in it, but when the heat hits, some might seek shade under it. If they like the smell of rubber. 😊

28 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Tunnel Rats in the Nam, right. 

Remember the film Day of the Dolphin, with George C. Scott? I understand that George was harder to get along with on the set than the dolphins.

I think that bit has run its course, Michael. T'was John Morrison's idea. 

Day of the Dolphins. Cried my eyes out. Saddest movie. Really good, but I don’t believe I could watch it again. “Paaaa...”

18 hours ago, dustydingo said:

If that was for me, thank you 🙂

A deviation . . . it's nice seeing a portfolio that includes a number of shots of the Swan, but has no shots of the bloody blue boat shed in Crawley 🙂 🙂 🙂

cheers,

DD

No worries and thanks DD 🙂 Yes the boatshed must be the most photographed thing in Perth! I recalled seeing one image that I thought was more original than many of the others, and I just did a search for it and found it. It is by Luke Austin and he took it during a storm at high tide in gale force winds. The long exposure created a misting effect over the jetty. He must of done a good job of keeping the tripod steady in gale force winds:

https://lukeaustinphotography.com.au/gallery/product/persistence-crawley-boat-shed-perth-western-australia-113

I enjoy discovering new angles on the river, and have explored the Canning River too. Images from there are not necessarily likely to sell here on Alamy, but I love doing them anyway 🙂

• Like 1

I would think that doubtless, overall, the pandemic will have a negative effect on sales (excepting news, of course), but I got a rare Sunday zoom yesterday for someone searching on the Danish town of Aarhus.  Could it be that, as the Danes went into lockdown on Saturday, there are lot more people worldwide in this industry working from home: searching for, downloading and (hopefully) licensing images?

Trying to remain positive! 🤞😀

Edited by losdemas
spellcheck
2 hours ago, losdemas said:

I would think that doubtless, overall, the pandemic will have a negative effect on sales (excepting news, of course), but I got a rare Sunday zoom yesterday for someone searching on the Danish town of Aarhus.  Could it be that, as the Danes went into lockdown on Saturday, there are lot more people worldwide in this industry working from home: searching for, downloading and (hopefully) licensing images?

Trying to remain positive! 🤞😀

I did wonder about this myself. I think it is good to have a glass half full approach. I imagine there will be many people working from home and possibly spending more time looking for images out there on the internet, whether for their line of work or other interests. People will be travelling less and thus quite possibly in front of their computer more. I am also imagining people in lockdown may be thinking now is the time to write that novel they've always been thinking about doing, and thus are looking for a cover photo for their book, or developing a blog that they will want images for, or other creative and/or business pursuits.

There will be hurdles and challenges ahead, but quite possibly unexpected opportunities too, so I think good to stay positive 😀👍

• Like 1

I don't know if this will be useful information but I have appreciated hearing from members what is going on in their location. I had my annual check-up last week and at that time my doctor had not seen any cases of corona virus and there was a sign on the door asking anyone with symptoms not to enter but to go home and call for instructions. I neglected to get a new prescription for my asthma inhaler when I was there. I am doing very well lung-wise and rarely use it but carry it with me at all times. I belatedly realized my current one expired last month and though it probably still works fine I like to keep a new one on hand. My prescription had expired so I called my doctor's office. The office is closed today and the answering service doesn't know why. Something to do with the virus I'm sure. Perhaps they are disinfecting or preparing an isolated room for exams or someone on the staff is ill.... who knows? So I left a message and I assume my pharmacy will hear from them. Kind of spooky though and something to bear in mind if you need any regular medical care. Stay well!!! Our restaurants here in NYC are now only open for take-out and delivery. Definitely not a time to visit the city!

Paulette