Calling geologists - Rocks ID

gvallee

Question

I'm sure it will be very tricky but can anyone help with the composition of these two rock formations please?

Location is Ellery Creek Big Hole, West MacDonnell Ranges, Northern Territory, Australia

Thanks in advance.

2B2WEB8.jpg

2B2WEK5.jpg

3 minutes ago, MDM said:

Generic is sensible. It is definitely not quartz which is a mineral, not a rock type. Quartzite is a rock that is composed predominantly of quartz and can have various origins. Klinger's document is very interesting but somewhat complex (it looks like a presentation from a conferencel) and not sure how it directly relates to the various photos. There is a lot more than quartzite in the area as the document makes clear. Looks like an amazing place. I'll stick in on the bucket list if I ever make it back out to Australia. 

Excellent plan. For geology, the MacDonnell Ranges are a dream. As is a well known place, Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary, 600km north of Adelaide. https://www.arkaroola.com.au/

Happy travels if and when we can travel around again. Latest news in Oz is that there are talks of closing all the Outback roads to protect vulnerable communities. I had planned to disappear in remote wilderness for a month, I'll have to wait and see if it will be allowed.  

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Excellent plan. For geology, the MacDonnell Ranges are a dream. As is a well known place, Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary, 600km north of Adelaide. https://www.arkaroola.com.au/

Happy travels if and when we can travel around again. Latest news in Oz is that there are talks of closing all the Outback roads to protect vulnerable communities. I had planned to disappear in remote wilderness for a month, I'll have to wait and see if it will be allowed.  

If I was in a position to do that right now I would do it. Maybe get out there before they ban it and nobody will know you are there 😀. Best of luck. 

1 hour ago, MDM said:

Generic is sensible. It is definitely not quartz which is a mineral, not a rock type. Quartzite is a rock that is composed predominantly of quartz and can have various origins. Klinger's document is very interesting but somewhat complex (it looks like a presentation from a conferencel) and not sure how it directly relates to the various photos. There is a lot more than quartzite in the area as the document makes clear. Looks like an amazing place. I'll stick in on the bucket list if I ever make it back out to Australia. 

There you go, I learned something new and it's only 8:30AM here.

"Quartz can be classified as a crystalline rock whereas quartzite can be classified as metamorphic."

The paper relates to the area and the geology of the area where the rocks came from. It identifies the predominant types of rocks. A clue.

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Thanks for that Klinger. I have decided to remain generic as a precaution. Safer that way. Thanks anyway for your research.

You're welcome, I like a good mystery. I would have thought that you knowing the area, and me clueless about the specifics, (I am 9,673 miles away) you might find out what the rocks of that region are known to be. And make that, it looked like quartz, to me, because of the crystals, but now I've been corrected, it's more likely quartzite.  👍

You can safely say the rocks have a crystalline structure which could be a search advantage, and still stay generic.

Nice site and beautiful location.

27 minutes ago, Johnnie5 said:

Gen, try doing a google search for "rock hounds" there are rock shops that could probably identify your rocks from the photos and locations.

Rock hounds are usually mineral or fossil collectors. This is a case of identifying rocks in the field which in some cases is not difficult if the map info is available and the exact locations are known but here that info doesn't seem to be readily available. A better bet n this case would be to ask a friendly academic or exploration geologist who knows the area very well.

10 hours ago, Klinger said:

I would have thought that you knowing the area, and me clueless about the specifics, (I am 9,673 miles away)

Me knowning the area? Assumptions are a very dangerous thing. I'm from 15,057 kms away (I just googled that)!! LOL!!

Edited by gvallee

Thank you everyone who have posted and tried to help. As I said, I will leave it generic and won't spend any more time on it. Who knows, I might even get a $5 license 😌

12 hours ago, gvallee said:

Me knowning the area? Assumptions are a very dangerous thing. I'm from 15,057 kms away (I just googled that)!! LOL!!

Nice that you get out there and can see these beautiful places.