Jump to content
Bill Brooks

Freely available historic images from the Public Domain.

Recommended Posts

I hear about the growing number of free public domain images all of the time.

 

The Smithsonian is not the only museum doing this. What is the sale value of a stock image curated from the public domain?

 

https://petapixel.com/2020/02/25/the-smithsonian-just-released-2-8-million-images-into-the-public-domain/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder how many will appear on stock sites for licensing?

 

Allan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/02/2020 at 08:06, Allan Bell said:

Wonder how many will appear on stock sites for licensing?

 

Allan

 

 

I guess there's nothing stopping their being offered for licensing on stock agencies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

I guess there's nothing stopping their being offered for licensing on stock agencies.

 

some MS agency's rules do. (though review process being what it is, it will likely go through based on some of the reports i see in Forum at one of these)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

 

some MS agency's rules do. (though review process being what it is, it will likely go through based on some of the reports i see in Forum at one of these)

 

There is no shortage of public domain images here.

 

However, Bill's question is a good one.

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

There is no shortage of public domain images here.

 

However, Bill's question is a good one.

 

 

but is it against Alamy guidelines?   it's one of the optional info to provide with the image, so I assume Alamy is fine with it, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

 

 

but is it against Alamy guidelines?   it's one of the optional info to provide with the image, so I assume Alamy is fine with it, 

One of the warranties in the contract if you don't own the rights to an image is that it's free of copyright.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

One of the warranties in the contract if you don't own the rights to an image is that it's free of copyright.

 

which seems to imply that Alamy is fine with Public Domain images.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

 

which seems to imply that Alamy is fine with Public Domain images.   

 

 

Alamy accepts Public Domain images. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, most large agencies do provide public domain images.  You have to look at it as more of a service of making photos easy to find and use.  Any buyer willing to take the time to find the PD photos, can find them for free but those who want to get everything easily can get them at places like Alamy or G&#ty etc....   Everett Collection (a contributor to Alamy) has made quite business by collecting and selling PD images.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Yes, most large agencies do provide public domain images.  You have to look at it as more of a service of making photos easy to find and use.  Any buyer willing to take the time to find the PD photos, can find them for free but those who want to get everything easily can get them at places like Alamy or G&#ty etc....   Everett Collection (a contributor to Alamy) has made quite business by collecting and selling PD images.

 

Yes, one-stop-shopping seems to be what it's all about. However, I imagine that individual PD images don't exactly fetch high prices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.