Taking photos in markets

14 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

The only Boston I know is the one famous for tea parties and baked beans. Haven't been there for years, though.

You've never heard of boston uk? Amazing. but just realised you're from Canada. Some great photos can be taken there if you're not local. I took some in lockdown when there was no people about which was bliss.

Edited by dunstun365

9 minutes ago, dunstun365 said:

You've never heard of boston uk? Amazing. Some great photos can be taken there if you're not local. I took some in lockdown when there was no people about

I'm definitely not local. Vancouver is a long way from both Bostons. I did live in London for a year when I was a kid, though. My parents were both British.

• Love 1

12 hours ago, dunstun365 said:

You've never heard of boston uk? Amazing. 

interesting.    I personally wouldn't expect people to know secondary places in a country, especially if they have same name as a much more famous place.  

If i started speaking of London and Paris i would not expect people to know I am speaking of cities in Canada. 

i know myself i had not heard of Boston UK until this forum.

Edited by meanderingemu

I know this is a bit off topic but I actually quite like having Boston listed as my place of birth on my passport even though I’ve never lived there. It’s amusing when travelling how many people assume I’m dual nationality as a result :)

Tom, I think your captions would benefit from more detail for those who don't know Boston and are looking for generic images of UK. I hope you don't mind me saying that some seem parochial. 

eg " One of the new modern buses being used in the area by Brylaine travel "

The location field is not searchable so your caption should say where 'the area' is.

Edited by geogphotos

20 hours ago, MDM said:

careful with the generalisations

Believe me, it isn't particularly a generalisation (ergh) but even so someone who has lived there all his life is probably entitled to it. I managed to escape 40 years ago for film school, heaven knows why I went back but I escaped again in 1988. Bostonians in the main are so inward-looking I'm surprised they don't fall over each other in the street.

On a more personal note, and this would certainly be a PM if they existed, as you now know that dunstun is my brother, and perfectly able to speak for himself, in future would you please take extra care what you say about him and what motives you ascribe to him. Terms like "reverse xenophobia" may be a little trying for some. As you say this is a public forum.

Edited by spacecadet

5 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

interesting.    I personally wouldn't expect people to know secondary places in a country, especially if they have same name as a much more famous place.  

If i started speaking of London and Paris i would not expect people to know I am speaking of cities in Canada. 

i know myself i had not heard of Boston UK until this forum.

However, I had heard of Boston Bar (have even been there, what there is of it) in Beautiful BC. 🤣

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Believe me, it isn't particularly a generalisation (ergh) but even so someone who has lived there all his life is probably entitled to it. I managed to escape 40 years ago for film school, heaven knows why I went back but I escaped again in 1988. Bostonians in the main are so inward-looking I'm surprised they don't fall over each other in the street.

On a more personal note, and this would certainly be a PM if they existed, as you now know that dunstun is my brother, and perfectly able to speak for himself, in future would you please take extra care what you say about him and what motives you ascribe to him. As you say this is a public forum.

I didn't mean anything negative in what I said so apologies if it came across in any negative way. It was intended in a protective way in fact as was my advice to walk away from the sort of people who he mentioned. I was certainly not standing up for the person who challenged him.  I can read between the lines so don't worry.

I have deleted most of my original post in any case. Again nothing negative was intended towards him. 

Edited by MDM

18 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I have a dozen or so photos with releases, on Alamy,  and have not seen any benefit from having them.

I have over 350 model released images. 98% family.  I’ve licensed quite a few. All editorial, so model releases totally unnecessary. I remember back when I joined in 2006 or so, the thinking was if you can get a model release, do it.

I guess someday I might get an outlier license for bigger bucks, but frankly, I will not hold my breath or I’d be toes up.

I would say that if you cook something homemade, list as having a property release. Those would stand a better chance of licensing for advertising. After all, my reference is my coconut pie, boxes and packaging, $700. (Years ago) That’s actually one of those outliers! :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

However, I had heard of Boston Bar (have even been there, what there is of it) in Beautiful BC. 🤣

I hadn't (until i did a search to see if there was a Boston in Canada 🙂 )  

I have however being to Paris, Ontario...

One thing i find interesting about Paris and London in Ontario, is that in French we do not translate them like we do their namesakes.   Whereas London, UK is Londres in French, London, ON is London in French.  

22 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Sorry to change the subject. But I guess you know that on Alamy you need model and property releases for images with people and/or property (e.g. buildings and stores) in them if you want to offer your images as RF. If you don't have releases, you have to mark the images RM or choose RF and then check the "sell for editorial only" box in the image manager. Good luck.

that's not exactly the answer i got from Alamy when i started.  I was told as long as i clearly indicated that in to not have releases i can still upload as RF (which i needed to do at first, since is was still submitting to other sites)

the issue is i am hoping myself up more to misuse. 

9 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

that's not exactly the answer i got from Alamy when i started.  I was told as long as i clearly indicated that in to not have releases i can still upload as RF (which i needed to do at first, since is was still submitting to other sites)

the issue is i am hoping myself up more to misuse. 

Hmmm... I was referring specifically to "editorial" images -- i.e. ones with people and property in them. My understanding is that the "sell for editorial use only" box has to be checked in order to make them "Editorial RF" (as opposed to "commercial" RF). You would of course also have to indicate that you don't have model or property releases. MS sites that accept editorial images ask you to do pretty much the same. No?

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Hmmm... I was referring specifically to "editorial" images -- i.e. ones with people and property in them. My understanding is that the "sell for editorial use only" box has to be checked in order to make them "Editorial RF" (as opposed to "commercial" RF). You would of course also have to indicate that you don't have model or property releases. MS sites that accept editorial images ask you to do pretty much the same. No?

the only time is was told i had to make the specific designation of  "for editorial only" was when artwork was included when they did a sweep.  

Here is the info on using the For editorial from help (by the way it make no distinctions between RM and RF)

"if you don’t have a release, we can still sell your images for editorial uses. If you’re sure the image can only be used editorially, you can select the ‘sell for editorial only’ button in the optional tab while annotating your images in Alamy Image Manager."

my emphasis on "Can" so it appears to be a choice.  That said i like the safety so i had been using the note quite frequently

https://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-images/model-property-releases-stock-images/?section=7

I used to have a girlfriend living and working in Boston, she still lives there, married with kids now. Used to spend weekends there.

I'm from Wales and people didn't recognise the accent, "are you foreign?", "Where on the continent are you from?" were common questions. I guess that says a lot, the high vote for brexit didn't surprise me either along with the other comments I've read on here.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Gareth Sewell said:

I used to have a girlfriend living and working in Boston, she still lives there, married with kids now. Used to spend weekends there.

I'm from Wales and people didn't recognise the accent, "are you foreign?", "Where on the continent are you from?" were common questions. I guess that says a lot, the high vote for brexit didn't surprise me either along with the other comments I've read on here.

Madrid or Boston, Lincs. as a place to live? Let me see..............mike-myers-austin-powers-in-goldmember-2

You dodged a bullet there, methinks. I don't even tell people where I come from anymore.

Edited by spacecadet

41 minutes ago, Gareth Sewell said:

Yes! I consider myself very lucky! :)

Funny really- the place had got quite interesting over the last 15+ years  what with all the Portuguese, Polish, Latvian restaurants and so on. We even went to an outdoor Lithuanian carol service one Christmas.

Not so many there now since the residents told them to eff off. The place will never know nor care how much better they made it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

the only time is was told i had to make the specific designation of  "for editorial only" was when artwork was included when they did a sweep.  

Here is the info on using the For editorial from help (by the way it make no distinctions between RM and RF)

"if you don’t have a release, we can still sell your images for editorial uses. If you’re sure the image can only be used editorially, you can select the ‘sell for editorial only’ button in the optional tab while annotating your images in Alamy Image Manager."

my emphasis on "Can" so it appears to be a choice.  That said i like the safety so i had been using the note quite frequently

https://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-images/model-property-releases-stock-images/?section=7

Interesting. So "RF Editorial" doesn't officially exist on Alamy. I guess that I've been labouring under a misconception.

12 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Interesting. So "RF Editorial" doesn't officially exist on Alamy.

I'm probably not adding anything meaningful to this discussion but just so as I understand - there is an 'Editorial RF' filter in the main search but you can only check it in addition to RF, so you can't find images that are just Editorial RF.

28 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

I'm probably not adding anything meaningful to this discussion but just so as I understand - there is an 'Editorial RF' filter in the main search but you can only check it in addition to RF, so you can't find images that are just Editorial RF.

That's true. So I guess there is "unofficial" Editorial RF on Alamy.

I've experimented with making some of my older RM images that weren't licensing "Editorial RF", but it hasn't made any difference. None have sold.

I got to looking at stuff about Jay Maisel after the discussion in the thread about films and I came across this ......... Apparently it worked....

In this picture, the guy got up and came toward me and said, “what the hell are you shooting?” I said, well, I was shooting the light and you. You were in it, you look great.

Paulette

• Love 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

People objecting to being photographed in public is because of surveillance fatigue.

Here is an image of mine circa 1995.

illustration-of-surveillance-you-can-run

Have you ever seen this one from 1999?

BuryTheHatchet.jpg

Cranberries album cover.

It features prominently here:

Unless that really is an actual giant eyeball tormenting that naked man, like his soul. In that case, I apologize.

😁

Maybe because Storm Thorgerson (of Hipgnosis fame) omitted the dropshadow. 😂

Could he have known yours? Or is it a case of great minds think alike?

Yours somehow reminds me a lot of number six btw.

wim

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Have you ever seen this one from 1999?

BuryTheHatchet.jpg

Cranberries album cover.

It features prominently here:

Unless that really is an actual giant eyeball tormenting that naked man, like his soul. In that case, I apologize.

😁

Maybe because Storm Thorgerson (of Hipgnosis fame) omitted the dropshadow. 😂

Could he have known yours? Or is it a case of great minds think alike?

Yours somehow reminds me a lot of number six btw.

wim

I was unaware of the album cover when I did my shot.

It was The Prisoner closing that inspired me. The shot of Patrick McGoohan being chased across tidal flats by a giant balloon.

Made my man naked because there is no hiding anything from surveillance

We all stand on each others shoulders.

A few years after I made my image there was a Canadian movie made by an Inuit filmmaker called "Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner" that had a naked man, showing all of his naughty bits, running across a vast ice field. In a fit of patriotic fervor the CBC ran the film after midnight in the Inuktitut language, naughty bits and all.

read about it here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atanarjuat:_The_Fast_Runner

• Love 1
  • Like 1