Posted (edited)

And New York was named after a very small place, so mall it is not even on the maps, between Sunderland and Washington in what used to be County Durham now Tyne and Wear. Britain of course.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Interesting...

On 22/02/2020 at 04:19, Bryan said:

Seems to be becoming more difficult. First let me say that if I want to take a close up photo of a stallholder and their customers I will ask permission, and have never been refused. 

However last week I bought a rather splendid cauliflower from a market stall and then decided to shoot the remaining caulis. No trader or other person in sight, but a man suddenly emerged from an office and demanded to know if I had permission to take the shot! Too late, the photo was in the bag. A while ago I took a photo of a market from a distance, in a public place and too far away for individuals to be recognised, when the son of one of the stallholders approached me and demanded that I delete the photo. I refused. He said that he would contact the market owner and continued to harass me, when I told him I would phone the police if he persisted.  Both incidents in the UK.

I do find it strange that people seem to object to someone with a large camera taking a photograph, as being "up to something", or a "terrorist", but take out your mobile or pocket camera and people are fine.

One of my daughters won an award in town and we went to the local art gallery, opposite the venue for a coffee, so I asked my two daughters to pose together outside the gallery to take a photo, 1) to remember the occasion and 2) because they were smartly dressed, when some idiot walked past, I think he came out of the gallery and asked if I had permission? I was a bit shocked and said "eh what?" so he repeated it and as I was saying, "they are my daughters...blah blah." he walked away!

Posted (edited)

If you are in a public place I understand that they have no right to stop you at least in the UK  But the other day I tried to take a picture on a (deserted) Pescod shopping centre in Boston uk and was told by someone with a pescod shirt logo that I couldn't take photos without permission. Turns out it's privately owned even though it's open air & the public are allowed to roam freely. How the hell do you know where to get permission from as I'm not a professional, I just enter photo competitions on the net ie gurushots. and sell a few stock photos (but none on alamy yet) My camera is a pretty un-noticeable sony alpha nex 

This topic is one of the reasons why I didn't want a DSLR in the first place.

Edited by dunstun365

On 08/03/2020 at 15:12, Allan Bell said:

And New York was named after a very small place, so mall it is not even on the maps, between Sunderland and Washington in what used to be County Durham now Tyne and Wear. Britain of course.

Allan

There's a New York near boston uk.

Posted (edited)
On 22/02/2020 at 11:16, Matt Ashmore said:

This is partly why I increasingly use my Sony RX100 rather than my Nikon D7000. The Sony is less conspicuous and I don't hold it up to my eye normally to shoot so it's also less obvious that I am taking a photo.

I bought a cheaper (but still good) sony alpha nex with a flip touch screen not as visible as a dslr.  but eagle eyed guards still notice me.

Edited by dunstun365

On 22/02/2020 at 19:13, BobD said:

I was once taking photos of a fishmonger who had a stall on a public street who remonstrated with me. When I pointed out that I was in a public place and had every right to take photos of whatever I liked, he said to me ' you do realise I have a knife in my hand'. Which was of course worrying but replied threats will still not stop me exercising my rights and pointed out his customers were witness to the threats he was making and just carried on.

that is very worrying. 

10 hours ago, dunstun365 said:

If you are in a public place I understand that they have no right to stop you at least in the UK  But the other day I tried to take a picture on a (deserted) Pescod shopping centre in Boston uk and was told by someone with a pescod shirt logo that I couldn't take photos without permission. Turns out it's privately owned even though it's open air & the public are allowed to roam freely. How the hell do you know where to get permission from as I'm not a professional, I just enter photo competitions on the net ie gurushots. and sell a few stock photos (but none on alamy yet) My camera is a pretty un-noticeable sony alpha nex 

This topic is one of the reasons why I didn't want a DSLR in the first place.

You don't need permission if you're on the public highway. The problem is the increasing amount of space where the public are admitted but which is actually private property. You might need to check whether not there's a public right of way, or a sign at the entrance to that bit of street saying it's private but that the public are admitted. That prevents it becoming a right of way.

Incidentally this is one of mine.

GPX85M.jpg

18 hours ago, dunstun365 said:

There's a New York near boston uk.

There is also one in North Shields. And another near Coningsby Lincolnshire.😃

Allan

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

And another near Coningsby Lincolnshire.😃

Allan

That's the one he means..10 miles from his front door.

It's easy to miss because it's in the middle of an arrow-straight 7-mile stretch of road.

Edited by spacecadet

Posted (edited)

I just had some trouble today in the park which is a public place. Some young boston idiot with fake designer sunglasses (Mark my brother knows the type) came up to me and asked what I was photographing I said the wildlife etc. in the park. He tried to accuse me of photographing kids in the playground or even them as if I'd want to. I asked who are you the police or someone official? If not you have no right to ask me. Of course he was no one special. They should have shut up at that point but the idiot kept going on and on. He was gonna call the police. I said go on then but you're wasting your time because I'm not breaking any laws.  I even showed them the camera & the last photo I took was yesterday. Even then these Boston loud mouth cows shouted at me saying: you were pointing the camera at us. I said why would I want to photograph you miserable lot?  I actually said words to that affect. I'm used to these kind of people because or various jobs I did locally but I like to stand up for myself. I was in the park before but it was all foreigners there and they are no trouble. 

Edited by dunstun365

On 22/02/2020 at 04:19, Bryan said:

Seems to be becoming more difficult. First let me say that if I want to take a close up photo of a stallholder and their customers I will ask permission, and have never been refused. 

However last week I bought a rather splendid cauliflower from a market stall and then decided to shoot the remaining caulis. No trader or other person in sight, but a man suddenly emerged from an office and demanded to know if I had permission to take the shot! Too late, the photo was in the bag. A while ago I took a photo of a market from a distance, in a public place and too far away for individuals to be recognised, when the son of one of the stallholders approached me and demanded that I delete the photo. I refused. He said that he would contact the market owner and continued to harass me, when I told him I would phone the police if he persisted.  Both incidents in the UK.

I went a local craft market in centre of La Plagne, Savoie, France (summer, tourist season, alps) about 7 years ago (quite why, I can’t remember). One particular stall, selling "art sculpture" had a sign saying - no photographs. I was given the evil eye by the stallholder (Italian) as I passed the stall with my camera and long after I passed him looking back. Hilarious. Get a life.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dunstun365 said:

I just had some trouble today in the park which is a public place. Some young boston idiot with fake designer sunglasses (Mark my brother knows the type) came up to me and asked what I was photographing I said the wildlife etc. in the park. He tried to accuse me of photographing kids in the playground or even them as if I'd want to. I asked who are you the police or someone official? If not you have no right to ask me. Of course he was no one special. They should have shut up at that point but the idiot kept going on and on. He was gonna call the police. I said go on then but you're wasting your time because I'm not breaking any laws.  I even showed them the camera & the last photo I took was yesterday. Even then these Boston loud mouth cows shouted at me saying: you were pointing the camera at us. I said why would I want to photograph you miserable lot?  I actually said words to that affect. I'm used to these kind of people because or various jobs I did locally but I like to stand up for myself. I was in the park before but it was all foreigners there and they are no trouble. 

Sorry to change the subject. But I guess you know that on Alamy you need model and property releases for images with people and/or property (e.g. buildings and stores) in them if you want to offer your images as RF. If you don't have releases, you have to mark the images RM or choose RF and then check the "sell for editorial only" box in the image manager. Good luck.

Edited by John Mitchell

I take on have a distracted, puzzled air. 

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, dunstun365 said:

I just had some trouble today in the park which is a public place.

It’s all very well standing up for your rights but you are better to just walk away from that I think. You risk getting beaten up and/or your gear stolen and/or damaged for nothing. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

There are idiots around. Nothing you can do about that. Personally I would avoid them to avoid the grief.

The only Boston I know is the one famous for tea parties and baked beans. Haven't been there for years, though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

The only Boston I know is the one famous for tea parties and baked beans. Haven't been there for years, though.

I would guess that the original Boston is the one in Lincolnshire bring referred to here. I believe it used to be an important port town. It has been in the news in recent years, as it had one of the highest pro-Brexit votes in the UK. This is related to a reaction by the natives to the influx of EU migrant workers, primarily from Eastern Europe, who do a large share of the menial labour in the agri-industrial fenlands which produce a significant proportion of the national food supply. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MDM said:

I would guess that the original Boston is the one in Lincolnshire bring referred to here. I believe it used to be an important port town. It has been in the news in recent years, as it had one of the highest pro-Brexit votes in the UK. This is related to a reaction by the natives to the influx of EU migrant workers, primarily from Eastern Europe, who do a large share of the menial labour in the agri-industrial fenlands which produce a significant proportion of the national food supply. 

Thanks for the info. I obviously had the wrong Boston. 😄

8 minutes ago, MDM said:

Somehow I knew you would direct this towards politics. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Sorry to change the subject. But I guess you know that on Alamy you need model and property releases for images with people and/or property (e.g. buildings and stores) in them if you want to offer your images as RF. If you don't have releases, you have to mark the images RM or choose RF and then check the "sell for editorial only" box in the image manager. Good luck.

I know but I don't want to photograph people anyway. I'm no good at dealing with or approaching strangers and even if I was, most wouldn't understand a model release form unless they were actually models who I couldn't afford to pay. I took a photo of myself wearing a mask but even had to fill out a model release for myself on another site.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I made no judgements, just gave the facts which were relevant to what dunstun365 said about Boston, natives and foreigners  

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks for the info. I obviously had the wrong Boston. 😄

Yes it's Boston UK. Mark aka spacecadet mentions it on another post.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Yes Its Boston uk & I am mark's brother (aka spacecadet.)  I have no beef with the foreigners because they never cause me trouble. Pity the same cannot be said of some idiots from actually from boston.  

Edited by dunstun365

Posted (edited)

Whatever you think of Boston and it’s natives, I think you need to be careful classifying people in that way on a public forum especially with reference to their place of abode and implicitly their social background.

Its true though so why stick up for them? I was born in Boston and have been around for longer than them but they go around thinking they own the place ie the park which they have no right to do. I try to avoid them like the plague - excuse the pun. These types of ppl. have been prejudiced against ME all my life. I trained in G design but couldn't get a job in that so had to work in places where they worked years ago & they caused me nothing but trouble & were always from C estates.. Even in a queue the other week a similar type of person pushed past me in the PO  & all I said was ay steady on or something & got nothing but abuse. Of course I got very angry because of the social distancing which they don't seem to have heard of. I complained to the shop supervisor & they said we cannot tell ppl. to social distance. 

There was only one person who came up to me & I tried to walk away but the idiot persisted so I got mad and I think I frightened him. They will never attack because they're cowards on their own I know what these ppl are like..

Sadly I've suffered with prejudice all my life because I went away to school due to bad eyesight  (can still take photos though) so had to fight sometimes against these types of ppl. I'm pretty strong like Sampson in the bible Blind but incredible strong.  I wish the idiot had called the police because he'd have ended up with egg on his face. Sadly people like that NEVER say sorry even when they're proved wrong. There ought to be some sort of union for designers & photographers to help deal with these types of ppl. Luckily I know some good people in Boston. Someone even bought a similar camera to mine/

Edited by dunstun365