Taking photos in markets

I found the Sapa women selling on the street really difficult to deal with.  The first i met was really upset because i had booked my homestay in village straight from online site, instead of the traditional stay in Sapa town, and rely on them to walk you to these "hard to find place" .

Next encounter was one who followed me the whole time while i was on a hike trying to sell me stuff.  This lasted over an hour.  At some point i got to an intersection, and she would not tell me which way was the turn-off i had on my map if i didn't buy anything from her.  

In St. Croix, I concentrated mostly on tourists.

F6669X.jpg
E854KP.jpg

Although I had no trouble shooting the inhabitants. They were pretty laid back. But if anyone spotted my camera and didn’t appear happy, I didn’t shoot. This young man smiled at me, then went about washing off the salt water from his horse.

Edited by Betty LaRue

6 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I think the case in a lot of heavily visited countries where tourists are continuously poking cameras in people's faces. The locals first get sick of being bugged and then learn that they can squeeze (in your GF's case, literally squeeze) some cash out of the annoying tourists by charging for photos. The Maya vendors in Guatemala, especially the children, who are very street-smart, are really adept at getting money out of camera-lugging tourists. No wonder the Spanish had such a difficult time "conquering" them.

The Maya seem to resent being the unpaid tourist attractions in Guatemala.  Friend who went there found out if she bought cloth and hired Mayan women as guides and didn't just stick cameras in their faces, they were fine, especially the kids.   Don't blame them.  People don't go to Guatemala to see the Spanish, but I suspect the better tourism jobs go to either the Spanish or to foreigners who speak English.

The alternative to my friend was a guy who was pissed off that handwoven cloth cost $6 a yard.  Don't be that gringo.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, MizBrown said:

The Maya seem to resent being the unpaid tourist attractions in Guatemala.  Friend who went there found out if she bought cloth and hired Mayan women as guides and didn't just stick cameras in their faces, they were fine, especially the kids.   Don't blame them.  People don't go to Guatemala to see the Spanish, but I suspect the better tourism jobs go to either the Spanish or to foreigners who speak English.

The alternative to my friend was a guy who was pissed off that handwoven cloth cost $6 a yard.  Don't be that gringo.

Agreed, the Maya in Guatemala aren't just tourist attractions. And I don't blame them either...

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sally R said:

Were you able to get model releases for the cauliflowers Bryan? Arthur and Jemima and their friends might be happy to oblige 🤣

Playing hard to get, editorial only...

F1J6G3.jpg

I had only problems in Morocco and I knew that in Guatemala I must be quick. In Tehran I was worry in the Grand Bazaar because I was being followed, and I thought that he was a thief, but at the end I think he was a secret police that followed me to see what I was doing. I just was a simple tourist taking pictures.  

Edited by Abiyoyo
  • Love 1

Rather a lot of years ago I was in the black area of down-town Memphis just wandering around with my camera and saw an interesting house. Started taking a few photos and a somewhat angry black man came out demanding to know what I was doing. Had a chat for a few minutes, got friendly and he called out the rest of his family to pose with him on the porch.

Here in the UK I was wondering around outside the Ministry of Defence at Abbey Wood taking photos of the buildings from the public footpath. A police car eventually caught up with me, asked what I was doing and eventually said OK, but not the best place to be photographing and better to wonder on.

Have never had a problem in markets other than the occasional person not wanting to be in the photos.

Edited by Charles Stirling

1 hour ago, Charles Stirling said:

Rather a lot of years ago I was in the black area of down-town Memphis just wandering around with my camera and saw an interesting house. Started taking a few photos and a somewhat angry black man came out demanding to know what I was doing. Had a chat for a few minutes, got friendly and he called out the rest of his family to pose with him on the porch.

Here in the UK I was wondering around outside the Ministry of Defence at Abbey Wood taking photos of the buildings from the public footpath. A police car eventually caught up with me, asked what I was doing and eventually said OK, but not the best place to be photographing and better to wonder on.

Have never had a problem in markets other than the occasional person not wanting to be in the photos.

Speaking of Memphis, I assume you are speaking of Memphis, Tennessee in the US?

Possibly you visited Nashville, Tennessee, the home of the Grand Ole Opry, home of country music. A tornado went through Nashville during the night before last.
24 deaths, last heard. A tragedy. The season is beginning. I’m grateful, here in Kansas, to now have a basement to hide in rather than only closets when I lived in Oklahoma.

Edited by Betty LaRue

On 04/03/2020 at 21:42, Betty LaRue said:

Speaking of Memphis, I assume you are speaking of Memphis, Tennessee in the US?

Possibly you visited Nashville, Tennessee, the home of the Grand Ole Opry, home of country music. A tornado went through Nashville during the night before last.
24 deaths, last heard. A tragedy. The season is beginning. I’m grateful, here in Kansas, to now have a basement to hide in rather than only closets when I lived in Oklahoma.

Nah, probably means here, looks like a rough sort of place..........😉

1024px-Memphis200401.JPG

Edited by spacecadet

Do they sing the blues in Memphis, Egypt?

When I was shooting in the San Blas Islands off Panama, the Kuna Indian ladies had a set price for each camera click. I ran up a big bill with my motor drive. 

On 06/03/2020 at 14:13, Betty LaRue said:

Should have known there would be another Memphis in this world. 😄

2 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Erm... the 'other' Memphis was the ancient capital of Egypt... after which Memphis TN was named... 

For what it is worth it is mentioned in the Bible of all places in the book of Hosea  Ch 9v6 "For, lo, they are gone because of destruction: Egypt shall gather them up, Memphis shall bury them:" Memphis= "haven of the good" A capital of Lower Egypt located on the western bank of the Nile about 9 miles (15 km) south of Cairo. Mofe is the ancient Hebrew with a variation Noph mentioned another 3 times.  Just shows that "Nope" There is nothing new under the Sun, not even in the  States

Edited by Futterwithtrees
misspelling

5 minutes ago, Futterwithtrees said:

For what it is worth it is mentioned in the Bible of all places in the book of Hosea  Ch 9v6 "For, lo, they are gone because of destruction: Egypt shall gather them up, Memphis shall bury them:" Memphis= "haven of the good" A capital of Lower Egypt located on the western bank of the Nile about 9 miles (15 km) south of Cairo. Mofe is the ancient Hebrew with a variation Nope mentioned another 3 times.  Just shows that "Nope" There is nothing new under the Sun, not even in the  States

For sure. Moving to Kansas from Oklahoma, I was struck about shared names of towns and counties. Of course, many of the old presidents like Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson, Jackson and such are names of streets, schools, towns, you name it. (Pun)

18 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

For sure. Moving to Kansas from Oklahoma, I was struck about shared names of towns and counties. Of course, many of the old presidents like Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson, Jackson and such are names of streets, schools, towns, you name it. (Pun)

Kansas also has Bern, Cambridge and Moscow . . .

DD

And New York was named after a very small place, so mall it is not even on the maps, between Sunderland and Washington in what used to be County Durham now Tyne and Wear. Britain of course.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

On 22/02/2020 at 04:19, Bryan said:

Seems to be becoming more difficult. First let me say that if I want to take a close up photo of a stallholder and their customers I will ask permission, and have never been refused. 

However last week I bought a rather splendid cauliflower from a market stall and then decided to shoot the remaining caulis. No trader or other person in sight, but a man suddenly emerged from an office and demanded to know if I had permission to take the shot! Too late, the photo was in the bag. A while ago I took a photo of a market from a distance, in a public place and too far away for individuals to be recognised, when the son of one of the stallholders approached me and demanded that I delete the photo. I refused. He said that he would contact the market owner and continued to harass me, when I told him I would phone the police if he persisted.  Both incidents in the UK.

I do find it strange that people seem to object to someone with a large camera taking a photograph, as being "up to something", or a "terrorist", but take out your mobile or pocket camera and people are fine.

One of my daughters won an award in town and we went to the local art gallery, opposite the venue for a coffee, so I asked my two daughters to pose together outside the gallery to take a photo, 1) to remember the occasion and 2) because they were smartly dressed, when some idiot walked past, I think he came out of the gallery and asked if I had permission? I was a bit shocked and said "eh what?" so he repeated it and as I was saying, "they are my daughters...blah blah." he walked away!