Taking photos in markets

8 hours ago, Martin P Wilson said:

A little lemon juice is a good alternative to salt, achieves much the same seasoning result. I am sure it would combine well with fresh garlic.

I might try it...

Yes, I've heard that from others, and I do like lemon. It's tough to avoid salt these days, though. The food manufacturers put it (along with sugar) in just about everything. Restaurants are usually pretty liberal with the salt as well.

Edited by John Mitchell

11 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Yes, I have most of his books. I'm busy writing one myself, which a library or bookshop would put on the same shelf as God is not Great. Hitchens is my touchstone for lucidity and well-argued prose. We'll raise a glass in his memory...

Hopefully not alongside Dawkins, though. His dogmatic brand of atheism starts to sound a lot like a new religion.

P.S. Good luck with the book. Please let us know when it's available.

Edited by John Mitchell

I have shot photos in many markets around the world and the only places I have any problems have been in the Caribbean.  Once in St. Kitts, a man grabbed my then girlfriend's arm (she was taking photos of his stall at market) and would not let go until we paid him some money....I ended up giving what pocket change I had and he let go.  My GF was very rattled by the whole event...first time in the Caribbean, and wanted to go back home.  

On the island of Granada, I had a guy from the tourism office who had to walk with me through their big market in the capital town of Castries and talk to vendors to let me take photos, he said that normally they will charge you something.

On 23/02/2020 at 11:32, Bryan said:

The  cauliflowers have arrived !

Cauliflowers for sale in a market, England, UK Stock Photo

Hey! I recognise two of them. The one under the 99P sale notice is Arthur and the one in the left hand basket with her back to the camera is called Jemima.

Hi guys.

Allan

4 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I have shot photos in many markets around the world and the only places I have any problems have been in the Caribbean.  Once in St. Kitts, a man grabbed my then girlfriend's arm (she was taking photos of his stall at market) and would not let go until we paid him some money....I ended up giving what pocket change I had and he let go.  My GF was very rattled by the whole event...first time in the Caribbean, and wanted to go back home.  

On the island of Granada, I had a guy from the tourism office who had to walk with me through their big market in the capital town of Castries and talk to vendors to let me take photos, he said that normally they will charge you something.

I think the case in a lot of heavily visited countries where tourists are continuously poking cameras in people's faces. The locals first get sick of being bugged and then learn that they can squeeze (in your GF's case, literally squeeze) some cash out of the annoying tourists by charging for photos. The Maya vendors in Guatemala, especially the children, who are very street-smart, are really adept at getting money out of camera-lugging tourists. No wonder the Spanish had such a difficult time "conquering" them.

The Maasai do not like to be treated like another "wild animal" by tourist photographers. We were told a spear might head our way if we just grabbed a shot. My Maasai photos are from villages that were being paid. As I recall it was only $40-50 dollars from each of about 15 of us and that would be half a year's income for them. They dressed beautifully and sang and danced and demonstrated their way of life. So they were definitely paid models. I was often dying to get shots of pitiful towns we drove through but it felt wrong and would most likely have been resented. Being "quaint" is not much fun for people who are truly poor.

Paulette

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I think the case in a lot of heavily visited countries where tourists are continuously poking cameras in people's faces. The locals first get sick of being bugged and then learn that they can squeeze (in your GF's case, literally squeeze) some cash out of the annoying tourists by charging for photos. The Maya vendors in Guatemala, especially the children, who are very street-smart, are really adept at getting money out of camera-lugging tourists. No wonder the Spanish had such a difficult time "conquering" them.

That brings back memories! They just won't go away. I had to set my wife on them in the end. They went away.

19 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

That brings back memories! They just won't go away. I had to set my wife on them in the end. They went away.

The first time that I visited Antigua, Guatemala, I made the mistake of telling one of the young Maya vendors my name. Every morning for a week, she and her little partners would lie in wait for me in the main square and then come at me shouting my name and insisting that I buy something or take a photo. I actually got to know them quite well. They were very smart kids. Most of them spoke a fair amount of English, along with bits and pieces of other languages that they had picked up from tourists. The street was their school.

This is the one who coaxed my name out of me. I gave her the Canadian maple leaf pin that she's wearing. She would be nearly 40 now and probably a grandmother.

young-maya-girl-wearing-traditional-maya

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 3