Jump to content
  • 0

Bird ID


SFL

Question

13 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Egyptian Geese?  Wow, where are they going?  Stopped in London for sightseeing?

 

By the way, many thanks to Spacecadet & Carol.

 

Sung

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
12 minutes ago, SFL said:

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/egyptian-goose/

 

I found the above based on the info from Spacecadet & Carol.

 

 

That's a good resource- tap in the size, color, etc, and it usually comes up with the goods pretty quickly.

Next time you may not need us but please do keep putting up images!

I've seen them all over Europe (so many I don't always even bother to photograph them anymore- that's a good close image you have) but not here yet. We see them on the same 15km. stretch of the Mosel year after year. I think they stay put when they find a good billet.

Edit- from that link, there aren't too many here.

Edited by spacecadet
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 minutes ago, Marianne said:

I was thinking they were escapees from a zoo. Wonderful find.

They probably were originally- they were introduced to England in the 18th. century as ornamental and presumably kept flying off.

Edited by spacecadet
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

They probably were originally- they were introduced to England in the 18th. century as ornamental and presumably kept flying off.

 

Interesting, guessing they mate for life. Perhaps they ran away together to elope? 😎💕

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
16 hours ago, spacecadet said:

That's a good resource- tap in the size, color, etc, and it usually comes up with the goods pretty quickly.

Next time you may not need us but please do keep putting up images!

I've seen them all over Europe (so many I don't always even bother to photograph them anymore- that's a good close image you have) but not here yet. We see them on the same 15km. stretch of the Mosel year after year. I think they stay put when they find a good billet.

Edit- from that link, there aren't too many here.

 

I haven't uploaded it yet but I hope it sells.  Especially a fellow photographer thinks it is a good close image.  Thanks.   😀

 

15 hours ago, Marianne said:

 

Interesting, guessing they mate for life. Perhaps they ran away together to elope? 😎💕

 

 

How romantic!  Certainly they seemed to enjoy the river view.  Even they looked as it they were talking to each other.

 

10 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Seen quite a few of them at Regents Park London previously..

 

Carol

 

RSPB's map suggests London area has a denser population of these birds.

 

Sung

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 17/02/2020 at 10:43, SFL said:

D800-DSC4417.jpg

 

Can anyone please help me with ID of these geese?

 

Many thanks in advance.

 

Sung

 

 

Egyptian Goose.  It's apparently been naturalized in Europe and the UK. 

 

(Alopochen aegyptiaca). 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.