Sociable... or solitary??

John Morrison

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Love those regional expressions or idioms.  They seem to have stuck around longer in the U.S. Midwest and South.  One I heard in the Caribbean that I liked was, if something was the same as usual, it was, “The same old khaki pants”.

I like that one.

My mom, when trying to figure out how to do something difficult but it wasn’t working, she’d say, “well, I had to kick that in the street.”

19 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Solitary.

Conversing with flora and persuading them to pose au naturelle is, in view of current mental health laws, an activity best practiced alone.  😀

I believe Prince Charles talks to his plants alone too.

Allan

36 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

That seems a bit harsh. There's nothing wrong with talking to flowers. You only have to worry when they start talking back...

Right, John. Talking to flowers is a good thing for both the talker and the flowers. Next thing, people will be telling me that I can't talk to French bulldogs or herring gulls. 

2 hours ago, John Morrison said:

That seems a bit harsh. There's nothing wrong with talking to flowers. You only have to worry when they start talking back...

The truth is I am actually talking to myself, not the plants.  Mostly along the lines of "well, I got down here - now how do I get back up."  The extra CO2 provision from my efforts to re-achieve vertical is to the local flora's bonus.

Maybe solitary isn't the best option.

4 hours ago, John Richmond said:

The truth is I am actually talking to myself, not the plants.  Mostly along the lines of "well, I got down here - now how do I get back up."  The extra CO2 provision from my efforts to re-achieve vertical is to the local flora's bonus.

True. Happy I was solitary in a crowd, though. I sat on the floor of a hangar-like building to get an upshot of the face of an Eurasian Eagle owl at a raptor show. Nailed the shot. Couldn’t get up thanks to my bad back. So I sat on the hard cement floor and watched the crowd until I spotted a nice, young strapping young man coming my way. Very pitifully, I asked if he’d help me and my Nikon up. Most people are thrilled to help.

This was taken early days of stock. (2006) Either D70 or D200.  Hopefully I could do better now.

AFCXTG.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1

Prefer solitary, but often find myself out and about with my wife, who's view of photography was "a good walk spoilt" but now, understanding that money can be made, tends to look out for possible shots. When visiting a new town or city we normally go our separate ways agreeing to meet up for a coffee. I can enjoy time spent just waiting for the light to change, or for the pattern of people to take a better form, but this is not acceptable behaviour in company. Some years ago I visited a local camera club, but quickly decided that it wasn't for me, I'm sure that I could have formed new friendships had I stayed around, and probably learned a thing or two, but I wasn't comfortable in that environment. It's not that I am antisocial, I've some good mates around at the allotments, where sharing ideas and plants and communal effort is the norm, but it doesn't work for me when carrying a camera.

Every holiday we have taken in the last 20+ years has been partially paid for as a work trip. Either shooting stock or images for our print business. As the ‘non shooting’ half of the partnership I have spent many hours guarding the equipment and people watching leaving Ian free to concentrate on taking images. It works for us! 

20 hours ago, John Richmond said:

If I breath on plants they keel over and die. When I am taking an images of plants I have to hold my breath otherwise I hav an image of a dead plant.

Allan

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Not. One. Single. Time.

Hard to believe!

But I agree with Alan -- now you will.  Not because of advertisement here (I doubt many customers, if any, read these forums) but because flow of cosmic energy has been altered ;=)

I give it 4-6 months before 1st sale.  Remember, and post after it does!

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

If I breath on plants they keel over and die. When I am taking an images of plants I have to hold my breath otherwise I hav an image of a dead plant.

Allan

They could have expired with an overdose of joy, overcome by your beauty. 😀

1 hour ago, Autumn Sky said:

Hard to believe!

But I agree with Alan -- now you will.  Not because of advertisement here (I doubt many customers, if any, read these forums) but because flow of cosmic energy has been altered ;=)

I give it 4-6 months before 1st sale.  Remember, and post after it does!

Lol, I will!

One day we may find plants respond to our interest, it has recently been discovered that trees in a forest communicate with each other via fungal connections to their roots, the “wood wide web”, so for good reason our ancestors thought the trees contained spirits.

That aside I did go on a photo tour once, it was enjoyable being with 

like minded people but generally I prefer to be on my own, especially when the response is “what do you need that for, we are only going shopping and having coffee!” Naturally I missed a great photo opportunity.

Edited by Rob Lavers

6 hours ago, Sally R said:

According to research at the Uni of Western Australia plants can communicate with one another via click sounds. They can also use chemicals to communicate with each other about such things as an approaching herbivore:

http://www.news.uwa.edu.au/201204034491/research/talking-plants

I wonder if they have a sentence in their language for: "Oh no, another photographer approaching. I have to try and look my best again".

I remember in Oxfordshire thinking that plants were snickering at me, commenting on my ineptitude as a gardener. 

My house plants scream at me, “I need a drink!  Repot me!”

I have one plant that my mother gave me 25 years ago.  
Speaking of repotting, I just read an article about the dangers of potting soil. Without proper caution, mask, wetting before handling, we can get Legionnaire’s disease from it. Yikes, I’ve never done that, but will start.