Jump to content

Implementing Wildcard * Search for Alamy Measures


Recommended Posts

Hi Alamy, I'm very grateful that you allow us to view stats for alamy search. It's nice but I suspect that subjects I want to research I do not always know the first word for. If I want to search for information about 'Paris Holiday' the result will be different if I searched for 'Holiday Paris'. In face it I want to search about Paris, it would be possibly be more useful to see a lit of things in search that were before the word Paris. A wildercars '* Paris' search would show a listing of words/subjects before 'Paris' which will be a radically different list to 'Paris *[wildcard]' which is the list I currently see.

 

Would implementation of wildcard search on the alamy measures be possible? Thank you for your consideration. This could help sellers target buyers much more effectively.

Edited by Kent Johnson
Link to post
Share on other sites

I may be wrong about what you are saying but if I put %bear% in the search box in All of Alamy in Measures I see all searches with bear in them.

 

Paulette

Edited by NYCat
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kent Johnson said:

Hi Alamy, I'm very grateful that you allow us to view stats for alamy search. It's nice but I suspect that subjects I want to research I do not always know the first word for. If I want to search for information about 'Paris Holiday' the result will be different if I searched for 'Holiday Paris'. In face it I want to search about Paris, it would be possibly be more useful to see a lit of things in search that were before the word Paris. A wildercars '* Paris' search would show a listing of words/subjects before 'Paris' which will be a radically different list to 'Paris *[wildcard]' which is the list I currently see.

 

Would implementation of wildcard search on the alamy measures be possible? Thank you for your consideration. This could help sellers target buyers much more effectively.

 

Try searching this forum for "all of alamy".

Include the "" and check the box all of my search terms.

If that doesn't bring up enough or the right results, try AoA its usual nick.

There's a lot of information about this here and yes it is a most valuable tool. But remember it's a database, so you will have to live with some of it's restrictions. meaning you will have to do some research and maybe even learn stuff.

 

Doing the same search on Google will bring up some, but not all relevant answers.

 

wim

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NYCat said:

I may be wrong about what you are saying but if I put %bear% in the search box in All of Alamy in Measures I see all searches with bear in them.

 

Paulette

Ah! So it does have wildcard searches I used the wrong symbol! Thank you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wiskerke said:

 

Try searching this forum for "all of alamy".

Include the "" and check the box all of my search terms.

If that doesn't bring up enough or the right results, try AoA its usual nick.

There's a lot of information about this here and yes it is a most valuable tool. But remember it's a database, so you will have to live with some of it's restrictions. meaning you will have to do some research and maybe even learn stuff.

 

Doing the same search on Google will bring up some, but not all relevant answers.

 

wim

 

Thanks Wim, I tried Paulette's suggestion; the % is the wildcard symbol for this database - I tried the wrong one! I am finding the information on this site tricky to find. I google this forum as I can not find a link on my dashboard page! Maybe that's just me though! Cheers. Kent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kent Johnson said:

Thanks Wim, I tried Paulette's suggestion; the % is the wildcard symbol for this database - I tried the wrong one! I am finding the information on this site tricky to find. I google this forum as I can not find a link on my dashboard page! Maybe that's just me though! Cheers. Kent.

 

Yes the visibility seems to have been toned down a bit. Maybe because so many here have asked for it?

On your desktop page, click Help and go to the button Join the discussion on our forums in the lower left hand corner. That will get you here.

- I use a shortcut link on my bookmark toolbar (in FF).

 

There are more special characters doing different things, like wildcards. Most people will never need them, but they're in the discussions here somewhere.

Here are some. Plus the explanation that those special characters are actually called regular expressions. And why we probably cannot use more of those.

 

wim

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Kent

>I google this forum as I can not find a link on my dashboard page! Maybe that's just me though!

 

No your not the only one, I found the quickest way to get to the forum is via the sitemap at the bottom of the page.

 

Terms and conditions  ~   Copyright complaints  ~   Sitemap 

 

then look for:

 

Interact with Alamy


Forum

Blog

 

click Forum

 

Doug

www.doughoughton.com

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Then bookmark the forum and all you have to do is click on your “book” symbol, and click on the bookmark. I used to do the site map but bookmarking is waaay easier.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.