45 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Delingpole has described himself "as a member of probably the most discriminated-against subsection in the whole of British society—the white, middle-aged, public-school-and-Oxbridge educated middle-class male."

Bless.

No wonder he feels upset to see an Indian in a first world war film. 

Looks like you couldn't resist the Honey Trap. Your actually doing the very thing you passionately exhorted us not to do. Discussing Delingpole. 

"Just sayin" (to coin a phrase)😌

Edited by Futterwithtrees
amendment.

"red herring" . . . Alamy search results: 176 + 1

DD

6 hours ago, Futterwithtrees said:

Looks like you couldn't resist the Honey Trap. Your actually doing the very thing you passionately exhorted us not to do. Discussing Delingpole. 

"Just sayin" (to coin a phrase)😌

That's because you had to insist on your FREEDOM to ignore my very polite request to leave rightwing politics off this stock photography forum.

As you had done that I wanted to show what a p rat Delingpole is. And how he does not belong in a discussion of diversity because he actually objects to displays of diversity and turns it into victimhood. 

The attitude he and his like have is the extreme polar opposite of that in the video posted by the OP and why we have the sort of problem creating headlines in UK this very day.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

That's because you had to insist on your FREEDOM to ignore my very polite request to leave rightwing politics off this stock photography forum.

As you had done that I wanted to show what a p rat Delingpole is. And how he does not belong in a discussion of diversity because he actually objects to displays of diversity and turns it into victimhood. 

The attitude he and his like have is the extreme polar opposite of that in the video posted by the OP. 

I will give you the benefit of the doubt (to coin another phrase) in spite of your invective. BTW I am speaking as one who has been for a lifetime left wing by conviction and practice but has always believed in FREEDOM OF SPEECH AND EXPRESSION even when it doesn't particularly suit me. I have also learnt that the other guy isn't always wrong. But Hey, Perhaps enough is enough. God Bless

Edited by Futterwithtrees
amendment.
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Futterwithtrees said:

I will give you the benefit of the doubt (to coin another phrase) in spite of your invective. BTW I am speaking as one who has been for a lifetime left wing by conviction and practice but has always believed in FREEDOM OF SPEECH AND EXPRESSION even when it doesn't particularly suit me. I have also learnt that the other guy isn't always wrong. But Hey, Perhaps enough is enough. God Bless

How kind of you.

5 minutes ago, Futterwithtrees said:

one thing that surprise me is there was two posts telling people to stop talking about a subject because it bothered the reader,  and this is the one you were offended by.

22 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

one thing that surprise me is there was two posts telling people to stop talking about a subject because it bothered the reader,  and this is the one you were offended by.

Don't get you meaning exactly and definitely no offence intended. I'm certainly not offended by anything but I'm enjoying fishing with a long line.

On 14/02/2020 at 11:59, Matt Ashmore said:

I came across this video today on YouTube which I thought was quite thought provoking.

Personally I am a white guy married to an Asian lady and my wife and children are amongst my favourite subjects to shoot. But I very rarely get an image of myself and my wife together.. because I am behind the camera and can't be in two places at once. But I wonder if the lack of diversity in stock photos is due to the diversity (or lack)  of the people behind the camera? I tend to shoot things and people around me in day-to-day life which outside of my own family, doesn't always lead to much diversity. I have a friend who works in marketing and she has told me more than once that a huge thing at the moment in marketing circles is diversity. Maybe some of us need to be braver and ask people that we might not normally photograph to be our models?

Anyway.. I just thought I'd throw it out there as this video made me think!

I am also a white guy (Greek background) married to an Asian woman (South Korean) and I also do not have any stock images of the two of us together. 

I listened to the video and I think what she is saying is several years out of date. I tried out her example searches for 'sorority' on google image search and 'couples' on Getty creative, and I'm not convinced minorities in 2020 are still under represented when compared to the real percentages that exist in our society. 

Certainly British TV adverts are currently severely over representing certain minorities, while probably still under representing certain others. 

It depends on whether you think over representation is a good thing or not. I personally think advertising should try to reflect our changing society, where at the last census, 84% of the British population identified as white. 

Edited by andremichel

21 minutes ago, andremichel said:

Certainly British TV adverts are currently severely over representing certain minorities, while probably still under representing certain others. 

Got figures on that, have you?

21 minutes ago, andremichel said:

It depends on whether you think over representation is a good thing or not. I personally think advertising should try to reflect our changing society, where at the last census, 84% of the British population identified as white. 

Personally it's a matter of indifference to me, but that's probably because I live in London, where that figure is below 60%, and white British below 45.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

Non-Hispanic white children under age 15 now make up less than 50% of the US population, and non-Hispanic whites in all age groups account for about 60% of our population, so I guess our advertising is not "over-representing" our population. I recognize that the US, a nation of immigrants (much as so many want to shut the door behind them these days), is a different situation than the UK or other European nations, nevertheless, awareness that some groups have been under represented and making an effort to remedy that seems like a positive IMHO. 

It can be hard not to discuss race without mentioning the far right, as such extreme attitudes certainly are one of the reasons we are still discussing race as a concept in 2020, at least here in the US, six decades after the Civil Rights Movement, and nearly 160 years after we went to war over the issue. There are many who are appalled by such attitudes whose views may still evidence more subtle types of discrimination. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1