Last month was bad, this month is worse so far with only a few zooms hence CTR down and not a sniff of a sale yet. There was a time a few short years ago where I was getting 10-20 sales with one or two in the higher $$ or occasionally $$$. It's now last summer since I had anything over $50. Hardly worth the effort anymore, and I'm better off by staying home.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

What did his other eye used to be called?

Allan

Dos, for sure 😆

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Stokie said:
Not all doom and gloom, this was yesterday's report from Alamy Measures.

John.
Last Updated on : 14 Feb 2020 08:31 GMT
  YesterdayLast 7 daysLast week (Mon-Sun)Last business week (Mon-Fri)This monthLast month

Results per page: 2050100 Page 1 of 1 Go to page: < Previous |   Next >
Pseudonym Your Sales Your ViewsDescending Your Zooms Your CTR (%)
********* 1 751 7 0.93
< Previous |  1 | Next >

Total Views for John Keates : 751
Total Zooms for John Keates : 7
Average CTR for John Keates : 0.93
Total CTR for John Keates : 0.93
Average CTR on Alamy for last month : 0.55

Not so bad numbers, John.

But what confuses me is that my stats says that:  Average CTR on Alamy for last month    :    0.58

Quite strange that we have different numbers there!  🙄 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, shearwater said:

Not so bad numbers, John.

But what confuses me is that my stats says that:  Average CTR on Alamy for last month    :    0.58

Quite strange that we have different numbers there!  🙄 

Just checked it is 0.58.

John.

Edited by Stokie

1 hour ago, Stokie said:

Just checked it is 0.58.

John.

👍 🙂

Already had my typical single sale of the month, but it never fails to fascinate me how vastly more successful some folk on here are. I once had three sales in a single month, but actually made considerably less than this month's single sale. I appreciate the good times are over, but having missed them it's obviously easier to cope with this possibly terminal downtrend.

Regarding the ant, they are very sensitive creatures and I fear he may have picked up on his owner's mood over the lack of sales and simply lost the will to live. Very sad.

• Like 2

On 14/02/2020 at 02:49, LawrensonPhoto said:

Well something is different as the overnight update isn't happening anymore, it seems to happen in late afternoon now.

18 hours ago, zxzoomy said:

The later server update, if it stays this way, means that reportage photos uploaded in the daytime can appear on the website the same day, rather than early the next morning. A welcome change for people like me who have reportage access but not live news access. I'm curious if there is a new regular time for the update. 

uploaded a few photos Friday 7am GMT and as of yet, no server update, not 24 hrs.

Edited by sooth

6 minutes ago, sooth said:

uploaded a few photos Friday 7am GMT and as of yet, no server update, not 24 hrs.

I agree. I can't see a server update yesterday the 14th or up to now. 

Uploaded images last night.  Cleared immediately as I'm a member of the 5 Star Club ;)

I'd laugh if I could they actually felt it necessary to discount a sale yesterday

Usage: Presentation or newsletters, Use in a presentation/talk (eg,Powerpoint and Keynote) or in a newsletter sale

from $12.51 refunded immediately then re-sold at $7.51 on the same day 🤣 I got $3.00 (£2.25 ish) a loaf, a pint of milk with a little loose change left.

I don't know about being off a cliff but even the microstocks jumped off that cliff too its been deathly slow since December

50% down

CTR down to 0.27  I give up 😕

Edited by David Pimborough

My late Friday uploads cleared right away, too. I'm looking forward to being in the 10-Star Club, where Alamy just sends you whatever money we feel we need. 

John, are black garden ants a protected species in the UK? 

58 minutes ago, zxzoomy said:

Yeah makes whoever has reportage access more wary, akin to letting a dog wander just enough before the leash gets taut.

59 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

My late Friday uploads cleared right away, too. I'm looking forward to being in the 10-Star Club, where Alamy just sends you whatever money we feel we need. 

10-Star club sounds great - do you have insider knowledge Edo?    :D

I do hope garden ants are not a protected species with the hundreds I've accidentally crushed at the allotment.  😮

The good news is that money appeared in my 'Cleared Funds' this morning - movement at last!!   The bad news - it was only $6  :(

Edited by John Walker

"10-Star club sounds great - do you have insider knowledge Edo?"

As I've said before, I have a rich fantasy life.

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I too uploaded a couple yesterday which cleared straight away, however as there has not been a server update they are not visible to customers.

Edited by BobD

2 hours ago, zxzoomy said:

same here.  I have pictures from Thursday, that passed immediately and are still not searchable for clients

edit: and now for the 4th week in a row, i hit the 5Star QC on saturday

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

same here.  I have pictures from Thursday, that passed immediately and are still not searchable for clients

what's interesting is that the number of images listed here has now increased twice since Thursday, but no new image appear in the portfolio

• Like 1

Well since joining Alamy in November 2018 I have only had two sales, back in June; given my modest number of images no doubt I shouldn't be surprised but it is disheartening. My click rate however is showing a gradual rise so I live in hope but the same portfolio on SS gets downloads almost every other day, sometimes two or more per day, and a fair number are in the UK. I have actually had several more downloads on AS with half the portfolio size although the payout is a bit less. I am encouraged by having reached five star status quite quickly but the relevance to this thread is that my cliff was seven months ago! I look forward to a better 2020.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 zooms in 2 months, on the subject of insect pets moths make excellent companions, sleep all day and dead easy to exercise just turn on a light bulb.😀  Onwards.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aphperspective said:

2 zooms in 2 months, on the subject of insect pets moths make excellent companions, sleep all day and dead easy to exercise just turn on a light bulb.😀  Onwards.

My husband captured a tarantula crossing the road once. I don’t care for spiders,  but I tolerated this one kept in a large jar with holes poked in the lid. I even helped catch crickets for it to eat. One day it appeared dead. I picked up the jar turning it this way and that. The tarantula, with legs curled, slid lifelessly around.

If you know what the game of fiddlesticks is, (otherwise known as pickup sticks) you know there are long, slender pointed pieces kind of like a king-sized toothpicks. I got one from the kids’ room, thread it through an air hole and gently nudged the spider for a minute or so.

All of a sudden it came to life, jumped on the stick and bit it. The shock of the bite traveled up the stick to my fingers. And my body...my brain...I might has well been bitten for how my body reacted.

I nearly threw the jar across the room. I stopped myself just before my fingers loosened. Imagine me with a tarantula loose in the house. I would have had to move out. Post haste.

We turned it loose across town soon after.
Betty

https://www.wikihow.com/Play-Pick-up-Sticks

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

No one has ever died from a tarantula bite, Betty. In the States, black widow and brown recluse bites are worse but still won't kill humans. The bites are like very nasty bee stings. 

One time in the Amazon basin, I had something fall out of a tree and bounce off my head. I thought it was a piece of fruit. It was a Goliath Birdeater, the world largest spider, a tarantula. Again, their bite is painful but not lethal. But I did almost have a heart attack when I saw that thing. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Imagine me with a tarantula loose in the house. I would have had to move out. 

This reminds me of a piece that was in the news back when I was living in the UK. A couple in a nearby town bought a crate of (I think) bananas as they were having a big party. They opened the crate and out popped a large tarantula  type spider, delighted no doubt to have its freedom after a week or so in the box. It was more swift on its feet than the couple and it vanished under the sofa. They moved the sofa and the spider was not there. They eventually made peace with the idea of living with the spider, and saw it fairly frequently, even in their bedroom! Gulp. Not for me. As previously discussed I am happy with ants but I do draw the line at plate-sized spiders.

24 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

One time in the Amazon basin, I had something fall out of a tree and bounce off my head. I thought it was a piece of fruit. It was a Goliath Birdeater, the world largest spider,

This is a very good reason not to go to the Amazon. That's what documentaries are for.

• Like 1

Tarantulas here tend to try to look like a heap of twigs if you disturb them by turning on a light or walking into the upstair studio.  Saw them twice, once in a friend's hotel in Managua, once in my upstairs studio.   Sorry I failed to get the photos both times.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

No one has ever died from a tarantula bite, Betty. In the States, black widow and brown recluse bites are worse but still won't kill humans. The bites are like very nasty bee stings. 

One time in the Amazon basin, I had something fall out of a tree and bounce off my head. I thought it was a piece of fruit. It was a Goliath Birdeater, the world largest spider, a tarantula. Again, their bite is painful but not lethal. But I did almost have a heart attack when I saw that thing. 

I know a tarantula bite isn’t poisonous. Neither is a Wolf spider bite. I was bitten on the top of my big toe by a wolf spider and it felt like a cigarette had been ground out on my skin. It turned dead white and bled. A spider bite bled!!  
Spiders are evil little creatures and I hate them. They hide in your shoes, your clothes, and of course when you put your stuff on, they don’t like it and bite. The wolf spider was in one of my gardening shoes and when I slipped the shoe on, I paid for it. There are at least 500 less wolf spiders in my part of the country.

You’ve heard about a woman scorned, that’s nothing to a woman spider-bitten.

Where’s my bazooka?

Betty

• Haha 1

The past 6 months have been my worst since I made my first sale here back in 2009. The 6 months before that were my strongest here ever. I really feel like I went up a mountain and fell off a cliff...

One example, got a $15 license here ($7.50 net) last week, the very same day as a $20+ license (net) of a single image on one MS site. Just one example of several when I wonder why all my Alamy photos aren't elsewhere earning more. 

When I see people here who have thousands of images - many times more images than I do - frequently netting less than I do each with a micro portfolio that has only grown to 500 images in the last year, I realize the writing is on the wall. 

For years I put my best pix here and had tiny ports around 1/10th to 1/3rd the size on the micros with little overlap, fearing people would buy from the micros vs. here if the pix were the same. But I did put a handful of my best pix on the micros some years ago to experiment. When I compare sales of those images that are on various sites, in nearly every case where images sell here and there, they have earned more elsewhere, in more than a few cases $$$$ more on the micros. Only two instances where sales here came to $$ more than on the micros. 

So, last year I finally followed the numbers and put a lot more on the micros while also adding the same to my port here and did not find any zooms here with corresponding sales elsewhere as I feared, though in the past there have been one or two times when an image was zoomed here and sold elsewhere. The additional sales elsewhere I believe make up for any shortfall, as images that sell both here and elsewhere tend to sell again and again often earning me $$$ to $$$$, so I can't worry if I made a mistake uploading them to more than one place. I don't think I have. 

Can't have all my eggs in one basket. 

• Like 1