22 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I do agree we need to clean up the earth. Somebody in one of the threads posted a pic showing all the plastic and trash washed up on the beach in Asia, and I could hardly believe it. My main concern is what this trash is doing to ocean life, seabirds, etc. it’s criminal. When I see a story about beached whales, and people are wondering why, I think, “what have they swallowed? A ton of plastic? Or poisoned from polluted oceans?”

I remember when soft drinks came in bottles (not cans, not plastic) that one returned to the store for a refund.  As far as recycling goes, some towns have stopped taking certain things because the cost of reprocessing the material cost too much. There should be an answer for that. Trying to remember if it was glass.

I did buy 12 bags of mulch today...rubber pellets. Two or three times as expensive as the tree bark, but it’s made from recycled tires. I probably bought about 6-8 old worn out tires! Lol.

Is it planet friendly to be using rubber pellets as a mulch? 😲 

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I do agree we need to clean up the earth. Somebody in one of the threads posted a pic showing all the plastic and trash washed up on the beach in Asia, and I could hardly believe it. My main concern is what this trash is doing to ocean life, seabirds, etc. it’s criminal. When I see a story about beached whales, and people are wondering why, I think, “what have they swallowed? A ton of plastic? Or poisoned from polluted oceans?

I remember when soft drinks came in bottles (not cans, not plastic) that one returned to the store for a refund.  As far as recycling goes, some towns are stopping taking certain things because the cost of processing the material cost too much. There should be an answer for that. Trying to remember if it was glass.

Plastic pollution is a terrible thing but this just illustrates that fundamental trait of humanity to ignore problems that we cannot see until they become tangible and visible.  Plastic pollution is a symptom of the far more serious underlying disease of massive anthropogenic climate change and is causing ocean warming at an alarming rate. We can’t really see this and when a scientist says that oceanic or atmospheric temperatures have risen by a degree or two it is meaningless to most people but it is actually incredibly serious. This will not only cause sea levels to rise and contribute directly and indirectly to melting of the ice caps, it will also lead directly to massive disturbance of the oceanic ecosystems. A few beached whales are nothing in comparison to what is really happening, as the entire oceanic food chain is highly sensitive to temperature. Once the food chain goes, mass extinction will follow. And the terrestrial ecosystems are closely linked to the oceans and the atmosphere.

It is great that people are becoming aware of ecological and environmental disasters such as plastic pollution but global warming is the real biggie that will override all of this. So being concerned about plastic is fine but be aware that supporting those who continue to deny climate change is orders of magnitude more serious in terms of possible outcomes. The US pulling out of the Paris Agreement could even be the final nail in the coffin of global cooperation, which  is essential if we are to have any chance of mitigating global warming.  What is the point of everyone else trying if such a massive consumer of fossil fuels denies that there is even a problem? The consequences of doing nothing, denying it is happening and continuing to burn fossil fuels are unimaginable for us living in our Goldilocks bubble. Mass extinction here we come. It is really that serious. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Unfortunately, the entire topic has become politicised and climate change 'denial' is firmly established in the anti-science 'belief based' ideological system of some these days.

Sadly, just about everything gets politicized -- even weaponized -- these days, and consequently any chance of rational discourse flies out the window. I guess you could say that one of the great failings of democracy is that it usually ends up pitting us against each other. Trouble is no one has come up with a better system...

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

Is it planet friendly to be using rubber pellets as a mulch? 😲 

We have tires on our cars. When they wear out, they go to landfills. Or they’re used to shore up eroding cliffs, near water. (Is that good?) They are still on the planet. I can’t see how spreading mulch around here and there is more harmful than in a landfill. Burning them isn’t an option, too toxic.  Plus cedar trees are being saved, the ones that are being shredded for mulch. I assume the bark mulch comes from trees cut for lumber, but I don’t know that for sure. 

I'm pleased to see that this topic, 'I've fallen off the cliff', is now ranked next to the topic 'Dangers of photography' . . .

Alex

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

On 11/03/2020 at 19:27, John Mitchell said:

Sadly, just about everything gets politicized -- even weaponized -- these days, and consequently any chance of rational discourse flies out the window. I guess you could say that one of the great failings of democracy is that it usually ends up pitting us against each other. Trouble is no one has come up with a better system...

You summed it up beautifully John. Amen to that

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

You summed it up beautifully John. Amen to that

Take the politicians out of the equation and we might be getting somewhere.

Allan

• Like 3

On 12/03/2020 at 01:30, Betty LaRue said:

Or they’re used to shore up eroding cliffs, near water. (Is that good?) They are still on the planet. I can’t see how spreading mulch around here and there is more harmful than in a landfill.

If something is found another use then it's no longer waste, which is a huge part of the issue. When there is a demand for something and that demand can be fulfilled by something which would otherwise be a burden on the planet then there's a chance for the future. Renewable energy and recycled products have to be a priority.

4 hours ago, Avpics said:

If something is found another use then it's no longer waste, which is a huge part of the issue. When there is a demand for something and that demand can be fulfilled by something which would otherwise be a burden on the planet then there's a chance for the future. Renewable energy and recycled products have to be a priority.

I try to use mulches which will eventually rot down and benefit the soil; but I've never considered, seen advised or even seen recycled tyres being used for this purpose. It's common to see people in East Africa wearing sandals made out of recycled tyres, and there seem to be lots of other options:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=recycling+rubber+tyres

10 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

I try to use mulches which will eventually rot down and benefit the soil; but I've never considered, seen advised or even seen recycled tyres being used for this purpose. It's common to see people in East Africa wearing sandals made out of recycled tyres, and there seem to be lots of other options:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=recycling+rubber+tyres

I had to look it up. It seems rubber mulch is a surface treatment, more like gravel, but chlid knee friendly, obviously not biodegradable. I think it's odd to call it "mulch" as well, but there it is on the RHS website so it must be a thing. I guess.

5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I had to look it up. It seems rubber mulch is a surface treatment, more like gravel, but chlid knee friendly, obviously not biodegradable. I think it's odd to call it "mulch" as well, but there it is on the RHS website so it must be a thing. I guess.

It's not biodegradable but it will perish into smaller particles which may find their way into water courses and the sea. Most definitely not good as a substitute mulch in my book and as stated of no benefit to the soil. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Take the politicians out of the equation and we might be getting somewhere.

Allan

Vote for me, and I'll solve all the world's problems. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Vote for me, and I'll solve all the world's problems. 😁

Personally I think we should give the job of saving the world to Greta Thunberg.

Allan

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Personally I think we should give the job of saving the world to Greta Thunberg.

Allan

It is not as simple as that.  It can not be a job of single person, or group of people. It must be EVERYBODY and that is the hard part, maybe even non-solvable. 

All governments, from India and China to US to Luxembourg and San Marino would have to be united 100%.  And look even now how defunct United Nations is, where basically everyone pulls to their side.  Or Paris Climate Accord;  does it work?

World governments should sit together, form international think-tank composed of scholars from all disciplines --- science, economics, social etc --- and give them 5 year mandate.  Study everything.  Not just "green gas emissions", this or that.  Everything.  Establish sustainability chart -- optimal population size & distribution, economy rules, transportation.  Standards for garbage disposal.  Etc etc.  List goes on.   But then once this is presented and approved, job of each country would be to enforce rules on its territory.   No exceptions, no opt-out.  This study would have to be made by scholars, not politicians.  Also approved by scholars and not politicians.  But this is sci-fi, so I better stop. 

Edited by Autumn Sky
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Please keep your politics and sarcasm  to yourself. 

This is for discussing stock photography. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Please keep your politics to yourself. 

This is for discussing stock photography. 

Go, Greta, go...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Go, Greta, go...

Yeah she is worried about her CTR.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

But Mr. T. says she needs anger management!!! 😆

• Like 1

Looks like I am going to have to work on my sense of humour.

Allan

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Looks like I am going to have to work on my sense of humour.

Allan

I think we are all a bit on edge...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

I think we are all a bit on edge...

Oi... come outside and say that!

Yes, perhaps you're right. A bit on edge...

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

Oi... come outside and say that!

Yes, perhaps you're right. A bit on edge...

not allowed until the 24th

I’m not a chemist or any kind of “ist “ so excuse me if I make wrong choices about mulches. Sheesh! 😊  one thing good about rubber mulch...it doesn’t attract insects. At least wood-munching insects.  Or am I drinking the coolaid again?

I suspect most well mannered members of this board will leave Betty with the obvious last word!

Sheesh! 😊  one thing good about rubber mulch...it doesn’t attract insects. At least wood-munching insects.

14 minutes ago, Shergar said:

Sheesh! 😊  one thing good about rubber mulch...it doesn’t attract insects. At least wood-munching insects.

Betty - if you find you have rubber-munching insects, dont keep it to yourself!!

• Like 1