Andreas

Alamy payment to german bank - Brexit fee applied

I received a payout on February 6th, and, same day, a fee of 19,95 Eur was charged by my german bank. My suspicion was true - Brexit fee, as GB is no longer in the EU my bank  charges this amount for any transaction outside EU/in foreign currency.

I just mailed contributor service asking:

• Which other payment methods can Alamy offer ?
  • Could you stop any payment until I can move to another payment method ?

If your are a EU based photographer - watch your account .....

regards, Andreas

Edited by Andreas
clarification

Wonder that no one else has a simular issue. I mailed contributor service now and asked to stop payment  / offer alternate money transfer.

Quite strange Andreas, and a bit worrying too.
I haven't still received any payment by Alamy after Brexit, so I can't say whether I'm in your situation or not.
Yet, I checked on the web (not with my bank, so far) and nothing seems to have changed in terms of bank commissions for transations between the UK and SEPA countries. (things might be different after the transition period, namely from January 1 2021 on, if the UK and the EU won't find an agreement).
If and when higher commission for bank transfer are, or will be, applied between UK and EU, possibile solutions could be to use paypal, or to increase the minimum payment threshold (which is not possible, currently). Another possibility is that, after the acquisition by PA, Alamy will open an Irish office with an intra-EU VAT registration number.

Edited by riccarbi

Rolf was asking what would change. I guess he has an answer. It will cost him €240/year.

Brexiteers take note- here it is in black and white.

However I did think the fee prohibition applied only to Eurozone countries. The UK was of course never one of those.

Edit- not at all- bank transfer fees must be the same throughout the EU as in a bank's domestic market. Outside the EU the fees are not an EU competence so the EU bank can charge what it likes. This isn't covered by the withdrawal agreement so it applies now.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/financial-products-and-services/payments-transfers-cheques/index_en.htm

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

58 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Rolf was asking what would change. I guess he has an answer. It will cost him €240/year.

Brexiteers take note- here it is in black and white.

However I did think the fee prohibition applied only to Eurozone countries. The UK was of course never one of those.

€240/y just of bank transfer fees would be obviously unacceptable for many photographers here, given the current stock photo prices. Yet I guess we can be paid via Paypal (with the usual Paypal commissions) and then invoice Alamy as usual. Thereafter, you can transfer your Alamy's payment from Paypal to your EU bank account.

Edited by riccarbi

I wonder if someone is compiling a comprehensive list of unintended consequences.

Alan

46 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

I wonder if someone is compiling a comprehensive list of unintended consequences.

Alan

Yep, if what Andreas and Spacecadet say is true, and I fear it is, I suppose the opposite is also true. So UK banks will apply increased fees for money transfer from EU to UK accounts...

Since I currently pay a 1.6 euros fee for any bank transfer, the new fee woild be more than 1200% higher.

Edited by riccarbi

I received my payment into my German bank accout on Feb 7th - and no fee was deducted. SEPA payments from the UK should still be free - at least during the Brexit transition period until 2021.

Sounds like someone somewhere had their eye on the main chance. 

I presume said bank also makes the charges for payments from SS or A or any of the other agencies we will not mention and has done for a long time.

• Downvote 1

20 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

Sounds like someone somewhere had their eye on the main chance. 

I presume said bank also makes the charges for payments from SS or A or any of the other agencies we will not mention and has done for a long time.

Here we go!

Read the link. Black and white. The red arrow doesn't make it untrue. This is, or will be if the bank has jumped the gun, a direct consequence of the UK leaving the EU.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/financial-products-and-services/payments-transfers-cheques/index_en.htm

What do other agencies have to do with it?

I'm beginning to suspect some people on this forum have an alert set up for the word "Brexit" so they can get the smokescreens ready.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I'm beginning to suspect some people on this forum have an alert set up for the word "Brexit" so they can get the smokescreens ready.

not only here. i innocently asked a travel forum if anyone had heard from EU mobile providers last year (pre the Oct 31 original deadline) as i was heading into UK and get blasted right away,...

added: back to my concert in the park....  

Edited by meanderingemu

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Here we go!

Read the link. Black and white. The red arrow doesn't make it untrue. This is, or will be if the bank has jumped the gun, a direct consequence of the UK leaving the EU.

What do other agencies have to do with it?

So some people are going to use Brexit as an excuse for blatant profiteering by raising prices when they have no legal or moral cause to do so.  Just like some other people would have continued using being a member of the EU as an excuse for blatant profiteering.

So yes you can say Brexit will be the cause of unscrupulous profiteering.  Just like everything else in life is a cause of unscrupulous profiteering.

As for other agencies - if said bank charges this fee for accepting payments from the UK (when there is no legal reason to do so) but does not charge this fee for accepting payments from say the USA, then it does kind of blow a hole in said banks claim that the charge is related to the UK being outside the EU.  What other agencies who are non UK and non EU have to do with it is as a check on consistency or an indication of blatant rip off.  If they did not charge this fee for other countries before Brexit then it proves that the reason of being non EU is a pile of cow droppings.  The UK leaving the EU is not going to affect how a bank in Germany trades with companies in the USA.

• Confused 3

😀

....methinks they do complain too much.

You're not going to get away with this. Unlike you we're not speculating about who might charge what. OP's bank is charging a higher (i.e non-zero) fee for a non-EU payment. EU law does not allow such payment within the EU. These are facts. You know, facts? As in the truth.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

So some people are going to use Brexit as an excuse for blatant profiteering by raising prices when they have no legal or moral cause to do so

The difference is that, before Brexit, such a blatant profiteering was illegal. After Brexit it is, or will be, totally legal; at least, if the EU and the UK won't find an agreement on this matter. In case, I hope and expect PA Media (which claims to be "the national news agency for the UK and Ireland") to open an Irish office soon and operate Alamy's business relationship with EU clients and contributors from there.

Edited by riccarbi
  • Like 2

I received the answer from Alamy contributor service today  - Alamy usually bears all fees and charges from Alamy are zero. And Alamy offers 3 payment options which I wasnt aware of. I now changed immediately to Paypal. Better 2-3 % commission than 20 Eur. And if I find a better bank I'll change again.

Edited by Andreas
layout

34 minutes ago, Andreas said:

I now changed immediately to Paypal. Better 2-3 % commission than 20 Eur. And if I find a better bank I'll change again.

San Jose

That's the real outcome of Brexit, commissions that would have previously gone to British and German companies now will go to San Jose, California... 
(and don't blame Andreas, I'm ready to do the same).

Edited by riccarbi

Inside the EU / SEPA money transfer, no comissions are taken. I can send money to Italy without any charges.

SEPA = Single Euro Payments Area

Edited by Andreas
SEPA explained

9 hours ago, riccarbi said:

The difference is that, before Brexit, such a blatant profiteering was illegal. After Brexit it is, or will be, totally legal; at least, if the EU and the UK won't find an agreement on this matter. In case, I hope and expect PA Media (which claims to be "the national news agency for the UK and Ireland") to open an Irish office soon and operate Alamy's business relationship with EU clients and contributors from there.

So what it is fine if the bank did not charge fees to recipients of funds from US agencies but does now for recipients of funds from UK agencies or if it was blatantly profiteering from recipients of US funds it did not matter because we were protected?

I mean which way do you want your statement to read - it is OK to profiteer from Brexit or it was OK to profiteer when it did not affect recipients of UK funds and that now the group being profiteered from extends to UK recipients that is the fault of the people who voted for Brexit not the ones who wanted to remain and be unfairly protected and certainly not the fault of the ones doing the actual profiteering?

One of my personal issues with the EU is its horribly protectionist "I'm alright jack" separation of the world into them and us with "us" being protected and given special privileges while "them" are given as many hurdles as can be managed.

27 minutes ago, Andreas said:

Inside the EU / SEPA money transfer, no comissions are taken. I can send money to Italy without any charges.

SEPA = Single Euro Payments Area

EU or Euro Zone?  Can you send money to Bulgaria with the charge, no conversion load?

23 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

One of my personal issues with the EU is its horribly protectionist "I'm alright jack" separation of the world into them and us with "us" being protected and given special privileges while "them" are given as many hurdles as can be managed.

how is that different than any entity?  If i come to the UK i get clearly an US protectionism, and am considered a Them with clear restrictions.  In fact last time in Entered your custom officer tried to restrict My future movement out of the UK.  

and if you think the EU is protectionist, come and talk to Mexicans about their neighbour. or to the people YOU just deported 

Edited by meanderingemu

34 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

So what it is fine if the bank did not charge fees to recipients of funds from US agencies but does now for recipients of funds from UK agencies or if it was blatantly profiteering from recipients of US funds it did not matter because we were protected?

I mean which way do you want your statement to read - it is OK to profiteer from Brexit or it was OK to profiteer when it did not affect recipients of UK funds and that now the group being profiteered from extends to UK recipients that is the fault of the people who voted for Brexit not the ones who wanted to remain and be unfairly protected and certainly not the fault of the ones doing the actual profiteering?

Sorry Starsphinx, I understand and respect your point. But, I guess people here want to hear about facts, not theories and complottos. And current facts, Brexit or not, are posing us questions and doubts about which ways our relationship with a UK company like Alamy might be from now on. That's business, not politics. And, whether you agree with me or not, I' pretty sure it is going to be a real problem.

Edited by riccarbi
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

how is that different than any entity?  If i come to the UK i get clearly an US protectionism, and am considered a Them with clear restrictions.  In fact last time in Entered your custom officer tried to restrict My future movement out of the UK.  

and if you think the EU is protectionist, come and talk to Mexicans about their neighbour. or to the people YOU just deported 

This is my point - you come to the UK (then the EU) from the US and have restrictions put on you when you are a legitmate legal visitor.  At the same time someone coming to the UK from within the EU would have no restrictions on them - this is/was the problem I have with the EU.  I get one country treating all other countries the same way - so now if anyone from any  country comes here they will be assessed the same (regardless of whether the assessment is fair - that is a separate matter), what I could not get is people from counties A,B, and C getting assessed one way and visitors from everywhere else being assessed a different way.

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 15:03, Andreas said:

I received a payout on February 6th, and, same day, a fee of 19,95 Eur was charged by my german bank. My suspicion was true - Brexit fee, as GB is no longer in the EU my bank  charges this amount for any transaction outside EU/in foreign currency.

I just mailed contributor service asking:

• Which other payment methods can Alamy offer ?
  • Could you stop any payment until I can move to another payment method ?

If your are a EU based photographer - watch your account .....

regards, Andreas

Andreas,

Keep in mind that the entire time I have contributed to and been paid commissions by Alamy I have been in the U.S. not EU.  years ago when I started out

both Wells Fargo and Bank of America , BofA, charged me a fee for the incoming transfer and then during a conversation with a representative of BofA he

said just change the transfer to a direct deposit and there will no charge for the incoming transfer.  I've done it that way for over ten years with several

banks,  I just make sure they understand that the Alamy payment is a "Direct Deposit."

Don't know it that helps?

Chuck

Just now, riccarbi said:

Sorry Starspinx, I understand and respect your point. But, I guess people here want to hear about facts, not theories or supposedly complottos. And current facts, Brexit or not, are posing us questions and doubts about which ways our relationship with a UK company like Alamy might be from now on. That's business, not politics. And, whether you agree with it or not,  it is going to be a real problem.

I have always been an awkward cuss wanting fair play - and I would rather be part of the unfairly ripped off than one of the unfairly ripping off.   So yes I understand and have always understood that leaving the EU means being on the recieving end of their less than pretty practices.  I understand that many people now on the end of such practices are not going to be happy about it.  Its just I place the blame for said practices on those engaging in them - in this case the bank, and I do not blame the choice and people who made the choice to leave the protection from those engaging in the practices.  Others do.

16 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

Its just I place the blame for said practices on those engaging in them - in this case the bank, and I do not blame the choice and people who made the choice to leave the protection from those engaging in the practices.  Others do.

Am I reading that right? Turkeys vote for Christmas, get eaten, but it's the fault of Christmas even though it was an obvious outcome?

• Like 1