Jump to content

Recommended Posts

To any business person putting all of your "eggs in one basket" is not a good idea, although I've done it myself on several occasions. I hope the people that I've dealt with at Alamy are well looked after, they've all been highly supportive of me over the last few years from the live news team.  I've had a positive email from my contact, so lets see what happens. At the end of the day if you take a better picture than the other lot, then you live in hope it will sell .. Although on a weekly basis I'm still surprised on what sells vs what doesn't - the last example being my picture from yesterday, which didn't sell, I guess I'm biased based on the effort that went into getting the picture vs the quality and topicality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

I suppose one thing PA might consider doing is to spend Alamy's profits for the first year on hiring a few experienced editors to cull the Alamy collection.

 

Alan

I for one signed up on the basis of no editing for content and have invested countless hours on that basis. It would be a considerable breach of trust for Alamy to go back on that deal.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Umm, so many thoughts running through my head. I joined Alamy over a year ago because of the appeal that I read about sales of reasonable price (albeit at lower volume). I don't do product photography or commercial subjects, and seeing how people need to have basically tens of thousands of images selling for cents on some of the other major stock sites was very off-putting for me.

My portfolio is small, and admittedly I am not a professional, so many of the images are generic and basic. Also, I am based in the US and Alamy sales seem to be generally much lower on this side of the Atlantic. I've had a single sale so far for $, quite a disappointing return. I had been hoping things would pick up.

 

Now, I really don't know what to make of the acquisition news. I am still trying to avoid contributing elsewhere enormous amount of photos for mere cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

 

I for one signed up on the basis of no editing for content and have invested countless hours on that basis. It would be a considerable breach of trust for Alamy to go back on that deal.

 

 

All bets are off after a takeover.

 

Alan

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/02/2020 at 20:04, geogphotos said:

PA Media is part of PA Media Group Limited,  a private company with 26 shareholders, .... The biggest shareholders include the Daily Mail  ...

... ...

 

Daily Mail is Daily Mail 😞

The very company which regularly and repeatedly failed to report used photos, over many years.

No wonder Alamy was schmoozing them by letting them have the sales for much less than they'd had paid had they reported them at the time of use, rather than when we found and reported them.

Talk about sleeping with the enemy. 😞

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MizBrown said:

One cheap way to do this would be to cut out the bottom 10% or 20% of contributors in terms of ratio of sales to photos in their portfolios.  Wouldn't require hiring anyone with skills at all, but would eliminate people who can produce niche images that occasionally have people looking for very specific local items.  

 

This isn't my experience. Saleability is directly related to depicting subjects no other one have depicted before. Compared to this, artistic quality, technical skills, popular subjects don't mean anything. You sell a photo primarily because someone get interested, sooner or later, in a subject you depicted and nobody else did. Niche images are a great opportunity, not a problem in the stock photo market, these days.

Edited by riccarbi
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shergar said:

Clive Marshall, "Chief Executive of PA Media Group said: “This transformational acquisition will significantly increase our customer base and provide the PA Media Group with a strong presence in the international market for the first time"

 

So far so good!

Heard it all before.

Whenever an agency is 'excited' to tell us something, bad things almost inevitably follow: some sooner, some later.

(I'd be delighted to be proved wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

The very company which regularly and repeatedly failed to report used photos, over many years.

No wonder Alamy was schmoozing them by letting them have the sales for much less than they'd had paid had they reported them at the time of use, rather than when we found and reported them.

Talk about sleeping with the enemy. 😞


That poses a question related to a potential conflict of interest. What the "new" Alamy commercial policy towards PA's shareholders will be?
Alamy can no longer be considered an independent agency, but part of a group owned by some among UK's major media companies.
Buying Alamy, PA didn't buy Alamy contributors' (our) photographs, but only the right to represent them (we, either on an exlusive basis or not). 
I'm pretty curious to see in which way Alamy's infamous "discounted bulk pricing" policy will apply to PA's shareholders (which formerly were just Alamy's clients) from now on.

Edited by riccarbi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlexG said:

Umm, so many thoughts running through my head. I joined Alamy over a year ago because of the appeal that I read about sales of reasonable price (albeit at lower volume). I don't do product photography or commercial subjects, and seeing how people need to have basically tens of thousands of images selling for cents on some of the other major stock sites was very off-putting for me.

My portfolio is small, and admittedly I am not a professional, so many of the images are generic and basic. Also, I am based in the US and Alamy sales seem to be generally much lower on this side of the Atlantic. I've had a single sale so far for $, quite a disappointing return. I had been hoping things would pick up.

 

Now, I really don't know what to make of the acquisition news. I am still trying to avoid contributing elsewhere enormous amount of photos for mere cents.

Alex, totally off the subject but...while your port is small go back and put the scientific names in your captions also. It will make your images stronger in searches.

Sorry, folks.😑

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May I respectfully suggest that this torrent of speculation and second-guessing about the sale of Alamy's business , although entirely understandable is in no way productive.
Businesses grow, decline and merge and will continue to do so.
We may all speculate about what it means for us as contributors in the future, but speculation is all it will be. It is human nature to vent and be pessimistic but it is also true that none of us (outside the inner conclave) know with any certainty what the future will bring. Economics tell us that the market cannot be wrong and equally despite our anguish PA Media as new owners of the business are entitled to do whatever they now wish . 
A great number of us have invested enormous time, effort and enthusiasm in submitting our work in the hope that both we and hitherto Alamy, will reap the rewards. Equally the majority of contributors to the forum have recently been very critical of the rewards (or lack of) to the photographers who have arguably been the mainstay of the stock image business.
In months to come our worst fears may be realised but equally we may look back on the acquisition as a positive step that is beneficial to us all - Who Knows?
Business is business and is by nature volatile. If the future is less rosy than previously - hard to imagine based on the plethora of complaints littering the forum, then so be it.
The hallmark of professionals is that they change and adjust their personal business models to serve the existing market demands.
Possibly the most worrying aspect of the future is that the 'Alamy family' that has developed on the forum/s will cease to be. To that extent I share your anxiety. As a regular reader but only part-time contributor I would very much miss the camaraderie and wisdom of those who regularly contribute and engage in meaningful and valuable dialogue. To me that is the most worrying prospect for the future.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear Richard, speculations are the logical consequence of an information asymmetry. We, with our images,  have built the value of Alamy. Yet, we are not entitled to know anything about Alamy's destiny and future strategy. We all accepted that, and I don't complain about having done it. I liked the "old" Alamy, with all its pros and cons; and I am eager to like the "new" Alamy. Yet, something has changed, for sure. Therefore, don't be surprised if many people here, me included,  are doing a lot of speculations. It's all we can do, now.

 

PS. I'm pretty sure that the passionate phototographers' family you and me have found here is strong and resilient and won't cease to exist, whatever destiny Alamy will face tomorrow.

.

Edited by riccarbi
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree wholeheartedly with you Richard. Friendships have been made here. Plus it would be a tragedy to no longer answer questions, help solve problems, and nurse newbies along.

This forum is known for reaching out to people.

Betty

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, riccarbi said:

Dear Richard, speculations are the logical consequence of an information asymmetry. We, with our images,  have built the value of Alamy. Yet, we are not entitled to know anything about Alamy's destiny and future strategy. We all accepted that, and I don't complain about having done it. I liked the "old" Alamy, with all its pros and cons; and I am eager to like the "new" Alamy. Yet, something has changed, for sure. Therefore, don't be surprised if many people here, me included,  are doing a lot of speculatios. It's all we can do, now.

 

I entirely agree with you. My point was that random speculation can be very destructive and the world & Alamy will move ahead irrespective of whether we like it or not. My plea was simply not to 'waste a good worry'!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AlbertSnapper said:

😮  😭

 

....

 

As the PA shareholders contain several of the UK newspaper groups, maybe images will be supplied to them for less than peanuts to save those publications more money ?

 

I guess that if PA alienate too many contributors by cutting  commission/unfavourable contracts and start to lose the supply of fresh images, they can always sell the Alamy business again, and just keep the historical/archive images, or other bits that they want.

 

I'll just wait and see. If one door closes, then another door opens (usually !).

 

All the National papers and major news websites subscribe to PA, along with many regional papers. They pay a set fee to use what they want. Publishers can buy images direct from the PA archive at prices similar to Getty. It will be interesting to see how PA differentiate between the brands and prices. 

 

But, PA photographers are generally top notch and the PA news picture feed is very different to Alamy as they only show the best of the day and most newsworthy, Alamy live feed is a mess and I bet its one of the first things the clean up. I don't think PA photographers will be worried. 

Edited by Paul J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, dustydingo said:

 

My emphasis added to above quote . . . so now, not only do they still have access to Alamy's (our) images, they own them!! So maybe it's not quite the lowest they can go if you think about it.

 

. .. ooh look, a butterfly . . . 

 

Dd 

They don't own them. It's an agency, they licence them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completely agree with Richard T.

 

The business will move forward and we cannot control that much.


I do not like being pessimistic, but I am a worried optimist, although I do not consider myself a regular forum contributor, but maybe we can see a new platform to continue the camaraderie, in case this forum is deactivated. I hope it doesn't happen in the future, just in case. I don't know if there is already one.

 

andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Alex, totally off the subject but...while your port is small go back and put the scientific names in your captions also. It will make your images stronger in searches.

Sorry, folks.😑

Of plants? Some of them I am not able to easily identify. I'd love to do that. I will try to go through the photos again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was enjoying reading everyones opinions . I think most of us don't need telling that our opinions don't count for diddly squat. But its a bit of fun while we wait and see the next chapter in the life of Alamy unfold.

Edited by Shergar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Shergar said:

I was enjoying reading everyones opinions . I think most of us don't need telling that our opinions don't count for diddly squat. But its a bit of fun while we wait and see the next chapter in the life of Alamy unfold.

Oh dear, I think you must have been talking to me.

I did disagree with your optimism, but I totally respect your opinion (and would like you to be right!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlexG said:

Of plants? Some of them I am not able to easily identify.

Start a "Can anyone identify this plant?" thread and post a picture of the plant you want ID'd. This forum is home to much knowledge, freely given.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I for one signed up on the basis of no editing for content and have invested countless hours on that basis. It would be a considerable breach of trust for Alamy to go back on that deal.

 

Exactly. I know that some of my best-selling Alamy images would be rejected by edited agencies. In fact, some already have been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Oh dear, I think you must have been talking to me.

I did disagree with your optimism, but I totally respect your opinion (and would like you to be right!).

Unless you have 2 different user names no I wasn't. lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlexG said:

Of plants? Some of them I am not able to easily identify. I'd love to do that. I will try to go through the photos again.

Yes. I only looked at your Scotch Broom tree. Is it Cytisus Scoparius? Check for sure. Most of the plants I’ve sold were searched by the scientific name only. Put it in your caption and tags.

 Sorry about the font size. I can’t seem to fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/02/2020 at 19:49, spacecadet said:

Alamy isn't a retail business apart from PU licences. Its customers are mostly publishers.

You misunderstand the analogy. In the Ford example, it would be like saying that someone who buys a newspaper with an Alamy image is its customer.

 

I didn't misunderstand but thought Alamy had many more private customers. Then we have all the other b2b customers. Only in Sweden there are about 4500 magazines and newspapers. Of course many have their own photographers but it is still a large number only here. Then we have all the other countries and other sorts of customers in other categories and businesses for commercial or non-commercial use. I'm not sure in how many countries Alamy is represented but perhaps it's not as large company as I imagined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Richard Tadman said:

 

I entirely agree with you. My point was that random speculation can be very destructive and the world & Alamy will move ahead irrespective of whether we like it or not. My plea was simply not to 'waste a good worry'!

My sentiments exactly! Worry doesn’t change anything.    Now....a magic wand....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.