I think I'll probably get all my images changed to non exclusive and made rf, then list elsewhere. 

I'm not that good (hopefully just yet) that I can make money 'on my own' and just want to maximise income as much as possible. 

Sales are slow as hell for me here. Makes sense to broaden my possibilities with the inevitable change that will occur here. 

I'm not saying I think the acquisition will be negative (especially for someone like me who makes almost nothing here), but it seems like the smart move for me. 

• Like 1

let's hope it's not a Unilever buys Breyers type situation.

Alamy reached critical mass some time ago, so I guess most of us realized that something like this had to happen eventually.

I don't see any reason to pack my bags yet, especially since I don't really have anywhere to go. Hopefully, things will turn out for the best. 

Que sera, sera.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, John Mitchell said:

Alamy reached critical mass some time ago, so I guess most of us realized that something like this had to happen eventually.

I don't see any reason to pack my bags yet, especially since I don't really have anywhere to go. Hopefully, things will turn out for the best. 

Que sera, sera.

Agreed John,

Kumar

20 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

100000 seems a pretty big number for a b2b/non-retail business. Considering Alamy's turnover, that would only be $200/year/customer.

Ford only has 12000 dealerships, effectively its customers.

But each dealership has many customers. If I understand correctly 100 000 is the total number of customers, not distributors. Alamy also sells licences for personal use.

Edited by Homy

56 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

If you read what has been posted by Alamy/PA.. that’s exactly what they are saying.

I didn't read that was the reason for the acquisition, only that the diversity would make them better.  Let's hope they can expand sales in this area.

2 minutes ago, Homy said:

But each dealership has many customers. If I understand correctly 100 000 is the total number of customers, not distributors.

Alamy isn't a retail business apart from PU licences. Its customers are mostly publishers.

You misunderstand the analogy. In the Ford example, it would be like saying that someone who buys a newspaper with an Alamy image is its customer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Que sera, sera.

Im with you John . I have given  up second guessing . Easier to play the wait and see game.

7 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

.....pack my bags yet, especially since I don't really have anywhere to go.

I'm also in that situation. My images are very editorial, and although I did begin uploading to one micro site after the commission change it's not really what I shoot. Most of my eggs are in this basket because I don't know of any other baskets worth putting them in.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Shergar said:

Im with you John . I have given  up second guessing . Easier to play the wait and see game.

"Rejoice, rejoice, we have no choice." I still have the original album. 😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

just in case things happen around here, i just want to send a big Thank You to the community for how welcoming you have been over the last year.  Hope we have a few more.....

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

"Rejoice, rejoice, we have no choice." I still have the original album. 😎

Just listening to CSNY this morning while doing some editing!

"Nobody has the intention to build a wall". Walter Ulbricht, leader of the German Democratic Republic,1961. Two month later the wall that divided Germany for 28 years was built.

Lets see how plans will change - I  expect a commission cut, pressure on conditions like force to exclusivity.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Just listening to CSNY this morning while doing some editing!

The most recurring case of deja vu ever...….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am generally an optimist but I have been in this stock photo business for nearly 40 years now and every agency that has gone thru a merger or acquisition, has not ended well for me as a supplier.  I hope this one is somehow different in very way!

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Que sera, sera.

To me the concept of critical mass in a business sense is the size that a business needs to reach in order to efficiently and competitively compete in their chosen market. Also the size (mass) a  company must sustain to maintain growth and efficiency and sustain sufficient working capital. I'm not sure how this relates to Alamy.

It's a measure of the minimum amount  needed to sustain a business or venture.
I'm not familiar with a critical mass in excess of that, unless of course we are talking nuclear issues?

• Like 1

So Long and Thanks for the Fish.....

Chuck

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

The anti-competitive practices of the stock photography oligopolists need a formal investigation.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Alan Gallery said:

The most recurring case of deja vu ever...….

You can say that again

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

just in case things happen around here, i just want to send a big Thank You to the community for how welcoming you have been over the last year.  Hope we have a few more.....

Same here. The generosity and sharing of knowledge and feedback has made it all worth it in any case. Wonderful community. Many thanks.

• Like 2

PA Media is part of PA Media Group Limited,  a private company with 26 shareholders, most of whom are national and regional newspaper publishers. The biggest shareholders include the Daily Mail and General Trust, News UK, and UBM.

News UK is Murdoch 😕

Daily Mail is Daily Mail 😟

Don't newspapers have some self-interest here in a business selling licenses to newspapers?

Edited by geogphotos
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Richard Tadman said:

To me the concept of critical mass in a business sense is the size that a business needs to reach in order to efficiently and competitively compete in their chosen market. Also the size (mass) a  company must sustain to maintain growth and efficiency and sustain sufficient working capital. I'm not sure how this relates to Alamy.

It's a measure of the minimum amount  needed to sustain a business or venture.
I'm not familiar with a critical mass in excess of that, unless of course we are talking nuclear issues?

I'm not much of a business head, so I was using the term metaphorically. However, if I were in Alamy's shoes, I'd probably be asking, "What in the world are we going to do with all these images before we go into total meltdown?" So maybe a "nuclear" issue.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Avpics said:

Most of my eggs are in this basket because I don't know of any other baskets worth putting them in.

Also my situation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Iain Masterton said:

I expect it will be for me. PA will be looking to milk Alamy and there is only one place I see that cash coming from...

Will have to start selling directly to clients a lot more. Seems stupid to put your future income in the hands of others

Yep. Agree on all of the above. 

This doesn't surprise me though,  to be honest, it looked like the business was being beefed up and prepared for a sale for some time now.  Direct sales may well be the way forward. I've already further reduced the amount of time I spend doing news in favour of other photography work, which was a financial necessity for me. 

The news bit is so small and likely not or not very profitable, I'm not optimistic that they'd want to keep running it. I'll wait and see for a while, not looking forward to potentially having to make a large number of stock pics non-exclusive and do loads of work on them to sell elsewhere. But if needs must...

I hope they'll keep the stock brand at least, my worst fear would be for the library to gradually be dumped into a microstock environment.