23 hours ago, Klinger said:

Chuck would you contact me email, about keywords suggestions. I found no way to find you, no PM here. I'm easy just search for Hodag Media. I can also discuss the change from ws_ftp to Filezilla. 😉

Not wanting to go off topic, I've read just about every release and news story on this, including PA and their divisions, I didn't read the politics of major stock holders and owners. The summary was enough, " a private company with 26 shareholders, most of whom are national and regional newspaper publishers ". Makes for an, apparent, perfect fit to their business group.

Que Sarah Sarah, whatever that means? Something about translation to English or is it just me? I'm now in wait and see mode, as the No Changes Planned, only means, they haven't arrived yet. There will be changes, but speculation isn't going to predict or change anything.

Officially Watching and Waiting.  popcorn.gif

Que sera, sera means 'whatever will be, will be' 

Wasn't Doris Day a lovely person :D

Just now, David Pimborough said:

Que sera, sera means 'whatever will be, will be' 

Wasn't Doris Day a lovely person :D

Yes, and as always sarcasm and humor doesn't translate well in a written forum. But I got yours... Que Sera = What Sarah OK I bet you get it now? 😉

Doris Day, was actually more than a pretty face, singing movie star, I have some of her old records (hand me down 78s, no I'm not a fan!) Before movies she recorded almost 700 songs! Doris Mary Anne Kappelhoff

Who knew, that's one I would have missed in a trivia  quiz.

No matter what anyone from the company says now, I'm positive, there will be changes made. I know I shouldn't admit this, but I remain an optimist, and hopeful, until the hammer falls. Being that they are news oriented, this could be good news for some of us. Whatever, happens, worrying won't change anything.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Klinger said:

Yes, and as always sarcasm and humor doesn't translate well in a written forum. But I got yours... Que Sera = What Sarah OK I bet you get it now? 😉

Doris Day, was actually more than a pretty face, singing movie star, I have some of her old records (hand me down 78s, no I'm not a fan!) Before movies she recorded almost 700 songs! Doris Mary Anne Kappelhoff

No matter what anyone from the company says now, I'm positive, there will be changes made. I know I shouldn't admit this, but I remain an optimist, and hopeful, until the hammer falls. Being that they are news oriented, this could be good news for some of us. Whatever, happens, worrying won't change anything.

lovely.  didn't know that....  

thanks, great info.

On 11/02/2020 at 13:56, John Mitchell said:

"Rejoice, rejoice, we have no choice." I still have the original album. 😎

Thanks for that much-needed nostalgia trip!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Klinger said:

Ah I get it now sorry :)

Whenever I hear the phrase Que sera,sera I always think of her singing that song 🥰

15 hours ago, David Pimborough said:

Ah I get it now sorry :)

Whenever I hear the phrase Que sera,sera I always think of her singing that song 🥰

I always think of Wem-bel-ee. Which could bring us to sports photography and back to the original subject of the thread. And even predicting the future again - like who will win the FA Cup this year?

• Haha 1

It will be interesting to see if PA are less reliant on software solutions to everything and how they are going to move things forward. 

I hope that we hear something from PA about the future direction of travel before too long. For me there has been a degree of stagnation, or at least drift, over the last year or so at Alamy.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 2

I was just about to purchase the new Nikon D6 for my news shooting.  I think I will hold off until I find out the future or lack thereof for Alamy news shooters

• Like 1

This 40% for non-exclusive images is VERY demotivating. I wish I had done nothing, as I suspect many other have done ( not done!) , and not spent all that time and effort changing the status of around 18,000 of mine just so that I could be poorer. There is no upside or reward for this honesty. None at all. 

It really hits me every single time I see a sale with a 60% take to Alamy. None of the justifications offered at the time stack up, there have been no improvements to contributor tools, no improvements in marketing or sales. It continues to be a kick in the teeth every time I see such a sale.  

Alamy keeps banging on about what a moral company it is - well, this 20% commission grab ( from 50% to 40%) is indefensible and demotivating.

I sincerely hope that somebody looks at the 'numbers' again now that the sale of the company has gone through and the cash is in the bank.  

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, IanDavidson said:

I was just about to purchase the new Nikon D6 for my news shooting.  I think I will hold off until I find out the future or lack thereof for Alamy news shooters

Yep, you never know.

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I sincerely hope that somebody looks at the 'numbers' again now that the sale of the company has gone through and the cash is in the bank.  

Hopefully there's an app for that. 😉

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

This 40% for non-exclusive images is VERY demotivating. I wish I had done nothing, as I suspect many other have done ( not done!) , and not spent all that time and effort changing the status of around 18,000 of mine just so that I could be poorer. There is no upside or reward for this honesty. None at all. 

It really hits me every single time I see a sale with a 60% take to Alamy. None of the justifications offered at the time stack up, there have been no improvements to contributor tools, no improvements in marketing or sales. It continues to be a kick in the teeth every time I see such a sale.  

Alamy keeps banging on about what a moral company it is - well, this 20% commission grab ( from 50% to 40%) is indefensible and demotivating.

For me a blessing in disguise.  The cut caused me to start offering images elsewhere - which I would not have done if the cut had not happened.  Offering elsewhere is getting more sales and more money. 

4 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

For me a blessing in disguise.  The cut caused me to start offering images elsewhere - which I would not have done if the cut had not happened.  Offering elsewhere is getting more sales and more money. 

This doesn't make sense to me. If "the cut caused me to start offering images elsewhere" To start? then you hadn't offered them elsewhere before the cut so the cut shouldn't have affected you???? Right? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shergar said:

This doesn't make sense to me. If "the cut caused me to start offering images elsewhere" To start? then you hadn't offered them elsewhere before the cut so the cut shouldn't have affected you???? Right? 

If Alamy had not cut the the rates I would have continued only submitting to Alamy - in effect been exclusive.  Their change resulted in me changing my behaviour which benefited me. 

37 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

If Alamy had not cut the the rates I would have continued only submitting to Alamy - in effect been exclusive.  Their change resulted in me changing my behaviour which benefited me. 

Ahhh thanks!

On 11/02/2020 at 08:02, FCP said:

Can anybody remember any actual improvements, or even "business as usual", coming out of a transaction like that within the last 10 years in stock photography?

Not often from my experience - Actually three times in 30 years!