Posted (edited)
On 21/02/2020 at 06:28, Marianne said:

SOME HELPFUL SITES AND I COULD USE SOME HELP WITH A QUESTION, PLEASE: 

I  didn't want to start a new thread on DACS so here's some helpful stuff first - when google and amazon let your down - try these sites - you will need some info but these at least have all the ISSN and/or ISBN numbers: 

This site (which I believe I found via a link on the DACS site) has magazine ISSN numbers:

https://portal.issn.org/

This is the CLA site which lets you check if copying of work is permitted using the title, author, ISBN or ISSN -- and of of course you can also use it to find an ISBN number if you know the title of the book or the magazine your photo has appeared in:

https://www.cla.co.uk/check-permissions/search-publications?query=

(I wrote to DACS this morning and got a reply that they'll get back to me in three working days - I left it too late)

Now, here is my question -- this year I found a lot more of my images that have been published in educational books. Some of them were published in the US but according to the CLA site they are available to students and educators to copy in the UK
And they are also available for sale on amazon.co.uk   So, can I claim for them in DACS? Or am I out of luck?  Any ideas? I may just try to call DACs in the morning and see if I can get through. Wish I'd gone online to do this sooner. 

Up until now, all my listed books were published in the UK, so I think that the day I spent tracking down all those photos was a waste. A lot of them say worldwide on Alamy so I hoped for the best ...thoughts? 

I checked with DACs about a similar issue and they stated the work had to be published in the UK

I quote "

Payback is only applicable to UK published books and magazines. I’m afraid since this title was published abroad, even though it is in English language, and available in the UK, it won’t be eligible."

Edited by David Pimborough

1 hour ago, Charles Stirling said:

Found a list of types of publications that can't be claimed on and DACs says can't claim on e-books.

Thanks, I figured that. I've only been claiming print books.

Back to this:

I see reports of this sort:

Region UK, Country: Italy, whatever

And actually very few Country: UK,  Region: UK,

Is it the region or the country which is where the book/magazine was published? Maybe the Region, as how can a book be published 'worldwide' unless it has such a huge print run it's being printed in two or more countries?

22 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Back to this:

Is it the region or the country which is where the book/magazine was published? Maybe the Region, as how can a book be published 'worldwide' unless it has such a huge print run it's being printed in two or more countries?

I don't make these decisions- I send the sales reports to DACS and they make them. They've never complained.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Back to this:

I look at the "Region" column. If it says "UK", then I include the sale in my claim; if it says somewhere else, then I don't. 

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I look at the "Region" column. If it says "UK", then I include the sale in my claim; if it says somewhere else, then I don't. 

Likewise.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Likewise.

Great minds think alike... 🤠

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm like spacecadet, I send a spreadsheet to DACS and let them decide.

When I used to edit the spreadsheet I would include 'worldwide', as my thinking was that the UK was in the world!

John.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stokie said:

When I used to edit the spreadsheet I would include 'worldwide', as my thinking was that the UK was in the world!

John.

Radical thinking.

Rebel.

:) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stokie said:

John.

I do exactly the same - I remove all countries except "UK" and "Worldwide" from the spreadsheet, then I remove everything except for magazines, books and TV (including newspapers) , and also I remove everything not in print form, and then I sent the remainder of the spreadsheet to DACS

Kumar

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

I do exactly the same - I remove all countries except "UK" and "Worldwide" from the spreadsheet, then I remove everything except for magazines, books and TV (including newspapers) , and also I remove everything not in print form, and then I sent the remainder of the spreadsheet to DACS

Kumar

I've thought of doing that. However, the "Region" column gives the following options only: UK, EU, US and ROW (Rest of World), so I stick with UK.

I admit that it's all very ambiguous, though...

• Upvote 1