Jump to content
Kent Johnson

New Australian Member

Recommended Posts

Hello to everyone participating in the Alamy forums. I have just signed on a week ago and had my first trial set approved and my second over the top collection rejected. In the time between those events I read quite a lot in these forums; and knew my giant first tranche of shots would not make the cut! That said I was surprised at which image was the one that was rejected. A night shot with too much noise.. Oh well, I will be on the lookout for that problem in future. I've tried stock once before; maybe 15 years ago and did not get very far before throwing in the towel. This time I have a lot of work I want in the market place so I¬†am hoping I can keep to the guidelines. Even though many shots are already edited; I can see Alamy looks at the sky a lot more than I do ūüėȬ†all good. Looking forward to learning more about stock photography¬† and helping out here too in the future. Hello everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome Kent, as you have now unfortunately experienced being sent to the sin bin for images that do not meet Alamy's image quality control...Well just read the guidelines for image submissions and comply...As you know if only one image in a batch has a problem, then the lot get rejected..So watch out for noise, or avoid it better still and make sure your images are sharp and the main subject matter is in focus...Clone out dust marks in clear areas of your image especially the sky..Colour  noise or over processed images that cause loss of image quality..Camera shake etc..

 

Just create a good workflow and stick to the guidelines and you will be fine....The photography is up to you, and there is plenty of saleable subject matter to shoot...ATB to you Kent, by the few shots that you have already submitted tells me you like your travel so you will have plenty go great subject matter to submit.

 

Cheers Bill

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Additional to Bill's good advice above, I would add if any of your images were to have small indistinct birds in the sky, it is better to clone them out. The bird in your first image is fine.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/01/2020 at 00:19, William Caram said:

Welcome Kent, as you have now unfortunately experienced being sent to the sin bin for images that do not meet Alamy's image quality control...Well just read the guidelines for image submissions and comply...As you know if only one image in a batch has a problem, then the lot get rejected..So watch out for noise, or avoid it better still and make sure your images are sharp and the main subject matter is in focus...Clone out dust marks in clear areas of your image especially the sky..Colour  noise or over processed images that cause loss of image quality..Camera shake etc..

 

Just create a good workflow and stick to the guidelines and you will be fine....The photography is up to you, and there is plenty of saleable subject matter to shoot...ATB to you Kent, by the few shots that you have already submitted tells me you like your travel so you will have plenty go great subject matter to submit.

 

Cheers Bill

 

 

 

On 24/01/2020 at 01:54, sb photos said:

Additional to Bill's good advice above, I would add if any of your images were to have small indistinct birds in the sky, it is better to clone them out. The bird in your first image is fine.

 

 

Thank you William and SB; my second set of 65 came through quite quickly. I am now tagging and getting them up to speed. Fortunately I am familiar with keywording and SEO concepts. Thanks for your feedback and thanks for the tip about the birds. all smudges will go! Cheers ūüėČ

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi and welcome Kent from a fellow Aussie. You have some nice images from around the world.

Cheers,

Sally

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/01/2020 at 13:54, Sally R said:

Hi and welcome Kent from a fellow Aussie. You have some nice images from around the world.

Cheers,

Sally

Hi Sally,
Thank you. Hope all is well over in Perth! Strange times here in Australia. Love those birds on your page, really beautiful images beautifully rendered.  
Cheers, Kent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Kent. I think Perth is doing relatively well at the moment compared with eastern Australia. We've had some bushfires here in the west but nothing like what has been happening over there. It is certainly really strange times at the moment in Australia, unprecedented and hard to comprehend.

 

Thanks re: the birds. I love birds! I really like your images with the tea sets and wine glasses. Great composition and lighting. I like the shots of everyday houses too. I'd like to get out to some country towns here in WA one day and capture local buildings.

 

Cheers,

Sally

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smoke-from-bush-fires-seen-from-a-qantas-airbus-a380-airliner-approaching-sydney-airport-at-sunrise-australia-2AHXFB9.jpg
Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/01/2020 at 20:08, Sally R said:

Thanks Kent. I think Perth is doing relatively well at the moment compared with eastern Australia. We've had some bushfires here in the west but nothing like what has been happening over there. It is certainly really strange times at the moment in Australia, unprecedented and hard to comprehend.

 

Thanks re: the birds. I love birds! I really like your images with the tea sets and wine glasses. Great composition and lighting. I like the shots of everyday houses too. I'd like to get out to some country towns here in WA one day and capture local buildings.

 

Cheers,

Sally

Hi Sally, the 'what to shoot' page has a lot of Australian architecture/house that alamy want for stock. god knows who if anyone is buying! My pictures are part of a 10+ year project about where I grew up in Brisbane so I have hundreds of images. We will see if anything sells. No doubt situation is the same in WA. Strangely have very little desire to pursue similar shots in Sydney where I live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Kent re: the 'what to shoot' page. That's great to work on a project documenting where you grew up. Those images can be really meaningful decades in the future when people want to look back and see what things were like in the past. And yes it is interesting how we are drawn to photograph some places more than others.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kent, on your shots of Singapore street food, in your caption and body of keywords you need to say what the food is called. Is it beef? Chicken? Other? Is it called something in the way tacos, hot dogs, ravioli, tapas, pizza or whatever is named? Grilled chicken?

 

As you go, the better you identify what your shooting, the more salable your images will be. That goes for all flora and fauna, common name and scientific name. Nice images, by the way!

Betty

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/02/2020 at 14:32, Betty LaRue said:

Kent, on your shots of Singapore street food, in your caption and body of keywords you need to say what the food is called. Is it beef? Chicken? Other? Is it called something in the way tacos, hot dogs, ravioli, tapas, pizza or whatever is named? Grilled chicken?

 

As you go, the better you identify what your shooting, the more salable your images will be. That goes for all flora and fauna, common name and scientific name. Nice images, by the way!

Betty

Thanks Betty, I've updated the title on the peking duck and enhanced the title on the crab dish (which was page one already) so should improve. Must say it's quite overwhelming getting all the information done well! But hopefully worth it. Thanks for the compliment too, much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Kent Johnson said:

Thanks Betty, I've updated the title on the peking duck and enhanced the title on the crab dish (which was page one already) so should improve. Must say it's quite overwhelming getting all the information done well! But hopefully worth it. Thanks for the compliment too, much appreciated.

I learned the hard way myself, Kent. I could have been selling well before I did if I’d understood it all. One thing I can say, probably 75% if not more of my bird, butterflies, flowers, trees, etc are searched by the scientific name. That’s how important it is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.