January 2020 Challenge - IRONY

AlexG

Subtle irony. A woman looking at her cell phone in front of a Diego Rivera mural depicting the accomplishments of the ancient Totonic civilization, who were rivals to the Aztecs. I guess it submits the question: What is the value of a civilization's highest accomplishments?

Tourists looking at a Diego Rivera mural "The Totonac Civilization of the Jaguar People in Veracruz" in the National Palace in Zocalo, Mexico City. Stock Photo

• Like 1

On 11/01/2020 at 17:10, Colin Woods said:

Ouch. A really tough subject. I don't think my three are literally ironic, but they do represent a contrast of concepts which is as close as I can get to irony in my photos. The photos here looks a bit squashed, so click them to see them in their natural dimensions.

roses-growing-by-a-grave-marked-a-soldier-of-the-great-war-A1TH1J.jpg
Life and death. Roses growing against the grave of an anonymous soldier.

I see heavy irony in this one. All these "soldiers" (which are now buried bodies) to commemorate the "great" war.  And additional heavy irony in the large cross in the upper left signifying resurrection.  Irony lies in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

• Like 1

My offerings. The first two pretty self-explanatory:

sunshine-sheds-snow-continues-to-fall-in-southend-and-surrounding-M60TY9.jpg

a-regatta-great-outdoors-sales-stall-at-an-outdoor-event-being-pumped-out-by-the-fire-brigade-due-to-flooding-irony-ironic-authentic-situation-T89YRA.jpg

This one perhaps less so:

irony-as-bus-advertisement-stating-love-of-allah-passes-edl-anti-muslim-demonstration-protesting-about-arrest-of-tommy-robinson-ironic-P1NNB9.jpg

My images W7GRPX and W7GRN9 depict the same group on a different day rounding on some Sudanese and chanting disgusting anti-Muslim filth.

Edited by Avpics
  • Love 1

Not much by way of IRONY but try these three.

homeless-person-asleep-on-the-street-cambridge-cambridgeshire-england-F2RFCC.jpg

Homeless woman asleep with dog outside of Santander bank.

parking-sign-in-front-of-small-sail-boat-storage-area-yarmouth-isle-DKG87B.jpg

Parking restrictions for sail boats.

road-floods-each-tide-sign-bosham-harbour-west-sussex-C9A0HG.jpg

Swan above road.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Sally R said:

Don't think I've got any ironic photos to contribute, but wanted to say I've really enjoyed this thread 😀 Many images are hilarious 😂 and some serious ones in there too.

Wonderful! Glad you like it. I think it will be tough to choose nominees. 😃

From those who have hosted monthly challenges before, I have some questions.

1. How many images do I select for voting?

- The last challenge there were 8 up for vote, but is that number up to me?

2. How do I set up a vote/poll?

- And how do I show the images below the poll?

Thanks a lot for your help. We are getting close to the end now.

The traditional number is 8 but some people have put up more. Personally, I appreciate only having 8 for the final voting though I know it can be hard to let go of ones that are favorites.

Paulette

• Love 2

I can try to help with the poll but start by going to the top of this page and clicking +Create. The choices are going to be pretty obvious from there until you get to the actual creation and need to notice that there are two tabs and the one for Poll will be black at that point so not obvious. The place I messed up once was in not realizing which of the "Titles" they ask for is the one that will appear as the topic. Just use sentences that make sense  "Time to vote...etc." Then after you give your selections there will be a choice again on a tab for "Content" and that is where you put up the pictures. I hope I have this right. It's even OK to put the pictures up in a separate post if you miss it the first time.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

I can try to help with the poll but start by going to the top of this page and clicking +Create. The choices are going to be pretty obvious from there until you get to the actual creation and need to notice that there are two tabs and the one for Poll will be black at that point so not obvious. The place I messed up once was in not realizing which of the "Titles" they ask for is the one that will appear as the topic. Just use sentences that make sense  "Time to vote...etc." Then after you give your selections there will be a choice again on a tab for "Content" and that is where you put up the pictures. I hope I have this right. It's even OK to put the pictures up in a separate post if you miss it the first time.

Paulette

Thanks very much, Paulette. Time will tell soon if I do this right. 😃