12 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Agreed. And now I’ve discovered free delivery over £30 I don’t need to lug it home! 

I have never had food delivered much prefering to go in and select what I want off the shelf which applies to fresh, chilled and frozen foods mainly. I would not mind deliveries of ambient temperature food like packaged and tinned etc.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
6 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

I’m a committed Aldi shopper (with a bit of Waitrose on the side) Luckily they’re very close to each other.

Personally I think a lot of Aldi products are better, and much cheaper, than Waitrose. The main plus point to Waitrose is that I scan my shopping on their phone app and pay with my phone to so no-one handles my food and I don’t touch any machines. 

Unfortunately our Waitrose store is on the same trading estate as M&S which makes it a no-no too.

It would appear that I will have to try Aldi first.

Allan

6 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Unfortunately our Waitrose store is on the same trading estate as M&S which makes it a no-no too.

It would appear that I will have to try Aldi first.

Allan

Beware the temptations of the centre aisle...

6 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Beware the temptations of the centre aisle...

Thanks. But why?

Allan

both Aldi &  Lidl  do these curious centre aisles with all manner of "STUFF" It's cheap and some  a bit nasty and I just don't see why it would be in a supermarket. I confess I have snagged a couple of bargains but I still reckon they could put the space to better use

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Thanks. But why?

Allan

Stocked with very random items without rhyme or reason, yet somehow tempting.

All manner of DIY tools from makers you have never heard of. Pillar drills and drop saws not just a set of screw drivers. You might see welding rods one week and a welding mask the next, but never the two together.  It's worth a browse just for the entertainment.

🦔

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Sound so much fancier than shopping mall or shopping strip. You Brits have all the class.

Paulette

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Mr Standfast said:

Stocked with very random items without rhyme or reason, yet somehow tempting.

All manner of DIY tools from makers you have never heard of. Pillar drills and drop saws not just a set of screw drivers. You might see welding rods one week and a welding mask the next, but never the two together.  It's worth a browse just for the entertainment.

I normally don't give Aldi's centre aisle a second glance, other than earlier in the year I picked up a pair of wellington boots that were a perfect fit and for a reasonable price. They now live in the car boot, and came in handy when photographing local storm flooding. Shame I've never seen waders for sale there. Not suitable for long walks though as they are quite heavy.

Edited by sb photos
2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I have never had food delivered much prefering to go in and select what I want off the shelf which applies to fresh, chilled and frozen foods mainly. I would not mind deliveries of ambient temperature food like packaged and tinned etc.

Allana

I agree. With perishable food you also have no control over the sell by date, I avoid short dated items. Perhaps I should have a bulk delivery of cat food, enough for a month. On the downside Tesco and Sainsbury's often don't have the cat food our cat likes, he's a fussy eater. I dread the supermarket would substitute something out of stock for food our cat would sniff and leave. Then the local chancers and strays would get well fed.

Edited by sb photos
3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I suppose I will have to bite the bullet and try these other stores sometime.

Allan

I rotate between 7 supermarkets, there isn't just one that sells everything I need. The least visited are Morrison's and Waitrose.

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

I agree, I buy all our food in the shop so I can pick and choose. But buying wines online that I know we like is really handy.

Edited by Thyrsis
2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Thanks. But why?

Allan

As they say ‘what’s in the middle at Lidl’! 

First time we went to Aldi Ian bought a ‘centre aisle’ security camera and an arc welder. Has he used either of them? No.

I don’t take him with me any more.

• Haha 3
21 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

First time we went to Aldi Ian bought a ‘centre aisle’ security camera and an arc welder. Has he used either of them? No.

I don’t take him with me any more.

So his ruse worked! 😎

• Haha 3

Back in April with the first lockdown I went to Gloucester Services on the M5 motorway twice to do my shopping !

At least there I could get sausages/bread/cheese etc. (all tasty local produce) Expensive, but at least the shelves were full, unlike with the supermarkets and the panic buying.

Maybe I shall have to shop there again come January 1st !

Edited by AlbertSnapper

Xmas challenge. Go to the pub with mates at lunchtime, drink until you realise that all the shops have shut, then spend 20 minutes doing your entire  present shopping at the BP garage. Taxi home. 

The ghost of Xmas past 😃

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Back in April with the first lockdown I went to Gloucester Services on the M5 motorway twice to do my shopping !

At least there I could get sausages/bread/cheese etc. (all tasty local produce) Expensive, but at least the shelves were full, unlike with the supermarkets and the panic buying.

2 hours ago, sb photos said:

Perhaps I should have a bulk delivery of cat food,

Good heavens! You are not THAT poor surely.🤢

Allan

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Take yer camera...

Just now, Mr Standfast said:

Take yer camera...

If you can't afford the food at least you can get a photo of it.

Allan

Aldi and the other big super markets have a place in walking distance of me, but I'll be going to the nearest, M&S, until my arm heals and I can walk further and carry more. There was an Aldi in Seville. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Mr Standfast said:

Take yer camera...

1 minute ago, Allan Bell said:

If you can't afford the food at least you can get a photo of it.

Allan

I could buy the food as a business expense, and then photograph it  !

5 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

You’ve not experienced driving in the UK Betty?!? 

Pre Covid we used to go by bus the 3 miles into Oxford, now (very occasionally) we go in by car. 

A few days ago the journey in was a bit slow because of roadworks. On the way out the traffic was backed up all the way past the car park  so we went the long way round, about 8 miles. Took us about 40 minutes to get home! Could have walked it in that time! 

Hmm, I don’t believe I want to experience driving in the UK! It was hard enough on the island of St. Croix driving on the WRONG side of the road, without dealing with heavy traffic. I’d love to visit, though.

The neighborhood Walmart is about 3 miles away. It’s not a superstore selling everything, just groceries...normal market stuff. It’s handy also for the drive-through window to pick up my meds at the pharmacy. Three or four minutes to get there by car.

Never having been to the UK, I’m picturing the towns, villages as much denser population-wise than here. So if more people live in a square mile there than here, it explains the traffic. Plus our main traveling city streets are 4 lanes, (2 each way) so no getting stuck behind someone. Residential streets are 2-lane.
I know some of you have traveled to the US, does it seem like there are more wide open spaces here? Of course, if you only visited NYC or Los Angeles, your viewpoint would be skewed. When taking road trips, my husband and I avoided those cities like the plague, not wanting to turn into skeletons while caught in the crush.  We took the highways that circled around. Even doing that, sometimes we were in stop & go traffic for longer than we liked.

Just now, Betty LaRue said:

Hmm, I don’t believe I want to experience driving in the UK! 

I don’t much like it either!

We’ve done two road trips in the US and it was a much more pleasant experience. Boulder to San Diego and Phoenix to  San Francisco. Apart from much less traffic the roads are much cleaner. Litter is a real problem here.