When I was a freshman in college, I had an Asahi Pentax and one 50mm lens, and maybe a flash, though I don't remember having that.  I took pictures of various other students in the dorm and sold them 3x5 prints made by a cheap mail order developing and printing company.   I think I asked fifty cents a shot.   An art student asked me to take photos of him and had them enlarged to 8x10 because he wanted to see what he looked like.   One I still remember, but maybe it's better in my mind's eye than it was in real life.

I wonder if any of those survived. 

Here in Tier-3 land, the pubs will be shut starting tomorrow. Those that serve "substantial meals" will be able to stay open and serve until 10PM. There are many good traditional pubs within walking distance here. At 5PM today, I decided to go into one for a last pint of Guinness. Last till they open again, if they do. And I don't think that all of them will survive. 

I usually go to the Railway, but they will be staying open since they are as much a restaurant as a pub. So instead I went to The Denbigh Castle. They do no food and they are newish, but I like the space and the customers are older and friendly. With the virus, too friendly could be a bad thing. 

But I went and I realised that I will really miss the pub thing. Brits of course understand the importance of pubs in British society. Americans and others do not. It not because I'm a big drinker, I'm not. I have 10 to 14 drinks a week, sometimes closer to 20 since I started to have a brandy after lunch last winter. 21 drinks a week is where alcoholism begins. 🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Here in Tier-3 land, the pubs will be shut starting tomorrow. Those that serve "substantial meals" will be able to stay open and serve until 10PM. There are many good traditional pubs within walking distance here. At 5PM today, I decided to go into one for a last pint of Guinness. Last till they open again, if they do. And I don't think that all of them will survive. 

I usually go to the Railway, but they will be staying open since they are as much a restaurant as a pub. So instead I went to The Denbigh Castle. They do no food and they are newish, but I like the space and the customers are older and friendly. With the virus, too friendly could be a bad thing. 

But I went and I realised that I will really miss the pub thing. Brits of course understand the importance of pubs in British society. Americans and others do not. It not because I'm a big drinker, I'm not. I have 10 to 14 drinks a week, sometimes closer to 20 since I started to have a brandy after lunch last winter. 21 drinks a week is where alcoholism begins. 🤭

I’m no teetotaler, but I seldom think about having a drink. When I ate Mexican at a restaurant called Ted’s Escondido in Oklahoma City, I always had a margarita. Yum. 3 or 4 times a year. I made some myself 6 months ago in my blender. I like them frozen or I’d chug them.

I have a 6 pack of bottles of Michelob Ultra Light beer, Prickly pear & lime infusion. It’s been in the refrigerator for a month, and I’ve had 3. It is light, crisp, and refreshing. The bottles are small and expensive.
I got my son hooked on them when he came to visit. 

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m no teetotaler, but I seldom think about having a drink. When I ate Mexican at a restaurant called Ted’s Escondido in Oklahoma City, I always had a margarita. Yum. 3 or 4 times a year. I made some myself 6 months ago in my blender. I like them frozen or I’d chug them.

I have a 6 pack of bottles of Michelob Ultra Light beer, Prickly pear & lime infusion. It’s been in the refrigerator for a month, and I’ve had 3. It is light, crisp, and refreshing. The bottles are small and expensive.
I got my son hooked on them when he came to visit. 

Those drinks sound like liquid desserts, Betty. Ultra light? Light wasn't light and tasteless enough? I drink only beer, wine, coffee, and water. The last time I had a soft drink was 1952 in the Mojave Desert. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

You're OK with a pasty, Ed as long as you have chips and a salad with it. Our clueless housing minister said so so it must be true, him being so law-abiding and truthful😀

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Those drinks sound like liquid desserts, Betty. Ultra light? Light wasn't light and tasteless enough? I drink only beer, wine, coffee, and water. The last time I had a soft drink was 1952 in the Mojave Desert. 

Hey are you saying water is a hard drink. If so I drink enough of it to be p****d all the time.

Mind you in my area the water is deemed to be HARD.🤯

Allan

I wasn't sure how to spell Coke the drink. I remember I was passing through Death Valley at Midnight and the temperature was 104 F.  I got the can out of a machine. I too drink local tap water.

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1
On 11/10/2020 at 19:51, John Mitchell said:

That's a lovely portrait of your wife, Edo. I too shy away from having my picture taken, plus I don't do selfies. 

Indeed.

Normally the only time I appear on photos is if a 3rd party comes forward and volunteers to take a shot of us both, it would be rude to say no ( but they might run off with the camera....)

Having said that my sons both took a photo of me on my 70th birthday, along with the respective grandbairns, which was nice.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Indeed.

Normally the only time I appear on photos is if a 3rd party comes forward and volunteers to take a shot of us both, it would be rude to say no ( but they might run off with the camera....)

Having said that my sons both took a photo of me on my 70th birthday, along with the respective grandbairns, which was nice.

Happy three score and ten. I turned 71 this year. Perhaps it's not too late for us selfiephobics. 😱

• Like 1
On 14/10/2020 at 03:37, Ed Rooney said:

The whole object is to not taste the beer. I hate the taste. Usually the only way I can drink it is:

1 Has to be a hot day, out in the sun, boating/fishing/yard work

2 Chug-a-lug it while it is so cold my esophagus spasms into a hiccup.

Of course, the alcohol hits my bloodstream all at once so I have a 5 minute tipsy party then it leaves as quick as it comes.

The Michalob beer actually tastes decent. Or...not so bad. I don’t have to chug it. And no liquid desert. No sweetness whatsoever.

• Haha 2

In Europe we have beer that tastes of something. When the homebrew comes out of cool conditioning on Monday hopefully it will taste of something nice.

True English beers have to be drunk warm.

Allan

15 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

True English beers have to be drunk warm.

Allan

Actually CAMRA say a cask ale should be kept and served at about 12C. But the conditioning is finished at a lower temperature than the fermentation. Fortunately our garage is probably at about 12C today.

"Cool" here is relative as is "warm". I think a real ale served at anything above about 15C would be quite unpleasant.

It's only those taste-free American concoctions that should be drunk anything near 5 or 6C. Not even Guinness in my book.

Edited by spacecadet
Just now, spacecadet said:

Actually CAMRA say a cask ale should be kept and served at about 12C. But the conditioning is finished at a lower temperature than the fermentation. Fortunately our garage is probably at about 12C today.

"Cool" here is relative as is "warm". I think a real ale served at anything above about 15C would be quite unpleasant.

Thanks Mark. I did not know the exact temperatures.

I was replying to Betty's post really in that she is saying their beer she has to drink ice cold. It is all relative.

Allan

6 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Thanks Mark. I did not know the exact temperatures.

I was replying to Betty's post really in that she is saying their beer she has to drink ice cold. It is all relative.

Allan

Forgive me, brewing does get a bit technical.

Allan, nobody here or anywhere has ever served me a warm beer. Cellar temperature, which used to be the standard for real ale, is 13 C or 55.4 F. In the States we use Fahrenheit. When I got to Liverpool, over a year ago now, I found they were serving everything including Guinness much colder. For me, the Irish and English brews seem to work either way. Lager is now the most popular beer in the UK, they say. Really? Hmm. 

Betty, like many Americans, is looking for a very cold drink in hot weather, not really interested in beer. Mexican beers are nice served cold. I prefer Negra Modelo. A visiting Forum member introduced me to John Smith's Extra Smooth. It says to serve cold on the label . . . but it doesn't say what cold is. 

For a while now, craft beer has been popular in the States, and there are a lot of tasty ones. 

I will tip my hat to Mark. He brews this stuff. I don't brew any better than I would wrestle an alligator in the mud. I'm just a consumer. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1
54 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Forgive me, brewing does get a bit technical.

Nothing to forgive.😀

Allan

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Allan, nobody here or anywhere has ever served me a warm beer. Cellar temperature, which used to be the standard for real ale, is 13 C or 55.4 F. In the States we use Fahrenheit. The I got to Liverpool, over a year ago now, I found they were serving everything including Guinness much colder. For me, the Irish and English brews seem to work either way. Lager is now the most popular beer in the UK, they say. Really? Hmm. 

Betty, like many Americans, is looking for a very cold drink in hot weather, not really interested in beer. Mexican beers are nice served cold. I prefer Negra Modelo. A visiting Forum member introduced me to John Smith's Extra Smooth. It says to serve cold on the label . . . but it doesn't say what cold is. 

For a while now, craft beer has been popular in the States, and there are a lot of tasty ones. 

I will tip my hat to Mark. He brews this stuff. I don't brew any better than I would wrestle an alligator in the mud. I'm just a consumer. 

I've always found US beers to be bland and watery, plus I'm not really a fan of traditional Canadian mass-produced beers (Molson, Labatts, etc.) either. I do like beer cold, especially in summer. Fortunately, Vancouver has a thriving craft beer scene, and there are some really tasty brews available. Not surprisingly, I guess, the best selling Mexican beer is Corona, which IMO is the country's worst beer and the one that tastes the most like US beer. I too am a fan of Negra Modelo. Dos Equis Ambar is a favourite as well. Don't know if you've tried it.

Edited by John Mitchell
18 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Appreciated, however in truth I merely found a 35-year-old can of beer concentrate as a by-product of looking for the winemaking equipment, so it may be a one-off unless it's really nice.

You know how they tell you to throw away old food cans if the ends are bulging? It was like that. But it smelt fine, so I though, in for a penny, it's only a bit of sugar, water and electricity.

Then the OH got serious and bought some Citra hops so it's no longer exactly free, but she has a state pension that Midas wouldn't have sniffed at, and still works, so that's fine. And we can't go to Croatia this year, or France, or Germany, so we've (ok, she's) got to spend it on something. My income has gone through the floor.

We do our best to be consumers, Ed;)🍷🍸🍻

Speaking of mud, the wine looks a bit like that at the moment. We have to wait a bit longer for that.

Edited by spacecadet

I'm glad to hear you didn't just chuck that can of beer concentrate. So much food is wasted because of a bit of nonsense on a label. My nose will tell me if anything is off. I suppose I really should take up brewing or winemaking. This house was once The Falcon a good many years ago. There were even Falcon tokens but sadly we don't have any. There was a brewery attached out the back. We still have the brick floor which makes a generous patio. Years ago there were pubs or alehouses in abundance. Now we only have two pubs open in a village of over a thousand.

Mark, I just had a peek at your collection. My family used to run Citroens. An ID in blue like the one you show in yellow. Later we had one with the swivelling headlights There were many things about those cars, some weird, but mostly in a good way.

Edited by Robert M Estall
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Robert M Estall said:

I'm glad to hear you didn't just chuck that can of beer concentrate. So much food is wasted because of a bit of nonsense on a label. My nose will tell me if anything is off. I suppose I really should take up brewing or winemaking. This house was once The Falcon a good many years ago. There were even Falcon tokens but sadly we don't have any. There was a brewery attached out the back. We still have the brick floor which makes a generous patio. Years ago there were pubs or alehouses in abundance. Now we only have two pubs open in a village of over a thousand.

Mark, I just had a peek at your collection. My family used to run Citroens. An ID in blue like the one you show in yellow. Later we had one with the swivelling headlights There were many things about those cars, some weird, but mostly in a good way.

It was just the one can of concentrate 35 years on. Seemed a shame to ditch it, I was more concerned about the soldered can! Still I assume it was lead-free even in the 80s.

Oh the ID has the swivelling lights IIRC! It's like the Space Shuttle under there. A cousin has to have a very smooth car ride for medical reasons and they've been through all the newer Citroëns over the years and finally got back to what is a DS in all but name. Watching it drive towards you over a rough track is extraordinary- straight as an arrow. I even had a GSA myself in the 80s.

Edited by spacecadet