That is a simple and effective idea, Andre: use the eyeglasses over the mask to hold it in place. Bingo! 

Unfortunately, I'm still creating too much steam. I'm going to try a small piece of masking tape rolled with the sticky part out. 

I've not tied the tape out yet. In addition to trying not to exchange an infection, I have cough-variant asthma, hay fever, and claustrophobia. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

I feel hungry when I look at your food images Edo😀 you obviously have a knack for food photography something which I seem to struggle with.  I feel I should make more of an effort so just wondering,.....flash or no flash and any other basic tips when you have 5 - apart from shoot before you eat😄

Carol

I remember my early days in Canada when the shops had not a lot to offer and we didn't have a lot of cash for "fancy stuff" But Canada does go for seriously strong and aged cheddar. Mother was a terrific hoarder and she would save the dried up corners of cheddar (which didn't seem to go mouldy) These were grated finely and that's what we used instead of parmesan. These were post war years and we had to make do as best we could.

1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I feel hungry when I look at your food images Edo😀 you obviously have a knack for food photography something which I seem to struggle with.  I feel I should make more of an effort so just wondering,.....flash or no flash and any other basic tips when you have 5 - apart from shoot before you eat😄

Carol

I did talk some about my approach in the second half of this earlier blog: https://edostrange.blogspot.com/2020/08/recipe-for-food-pics.html

Taking a lesson from the great Dutch painter, Vermeer, I favour the use of one window light. I wonder why the Dutch had so many great painters? If I ever take another trip, maybe it should be back to Amsterdam? 

Amsterdam is great—I've been there a number of times and had two photo assignment for airlines there. Maybe Wim can tells us if they still do Rijsttafel in the city. I think we ate at Sampurna when I was there in 2006. 

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Amsterdam is great—I've been there a number of times and had two photo assignment for airlines there. Maybe Wim can tells us if they still do Rijsttafel in the city. I think we ate at Sampurna when I was there in 2006. 

Rijsttafels are still widely available. With visitors we sometimes head to The Hague for the best experience. Sampurna is probably still good, one of the best actually, but it has been a while since we've been there. For the current best, take a look at the Fork.  However since they have been taken over by Tripadvisor, the average tourist review has drowned out the true foodie voice a bit. Plus a lot of really good and really bad restaurants have decided to leave the site (originally called Iens after the founding lady). For Amsterdam this foodie blog is not too bad.

And as always Google is your friend also. (Just had an excellent experience driving back from Germany and Luxembourg somewhere just off the highway in a place that Google said scored a 4.8. Asian-French fusion! Yummmmie!)

With any restaurant with a rating over 4.0 and more than 50 reviews you cannot go wrong. Be aware that some good Indonesian places in Amsterdam are run by ethnic Chinese people and also that some of the best are tiny, because they are actually a takeaway place. When we had restaurant lock-down a lot of regular restaurants started to offer takeaway also btw.

wim

My info is a bit old, but in Indonesia I did not find any Rijsttafel. Where I did find some was in Costa Rica. 

When I read restaurant or hotel reviews in Tripadvisor, I ignore the rave and heavy pans. The middle star ratings are worth reading. 

Thanks, Wim. 

13 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I did talk some about my approach in the second half of this earlier blog: https://edostrange.blogspot.com/2020/08/recipe-for-food-pics.html

Taking a lesson from the great Dutch painter, Vermeer, I favour the use of one window light. I wonder why the Dutch had so many great painters? If I ever take another trip, maybe it should be back to Amsterdam? 

Thanks for the food photography tips, you've clearly mastered the art, but  I find it a good deal more difficult than it looks!

Re Amsterdam, despite visiting this lovely city a number of times either in connection with work or leisure, I don't have a single photo of the place. Something to address when we get over this pandemic. The overnight ferry from North Shields to Ijmuiden ( hope the spelling is correct) provides an easy access for a person and bicycle, and the ride to Amsterdam is both safe and pleasant. They charge for the carriage of a normal bike, but a folding bike counts as hand luggage and can accompany a person to their cabin.

Amsterdam—all of the Netherland—is bicycle country. Bike riders in the city of canals control everything. One must be very careful not to step into a bike lane. I saw 2 people hit in a half hour. And they move like heat-seeking missiles. I've never met a Dutchman who did not speak English. 

Thanks for the compliment on my food pics. Really, I'm just doing the best I can with the subject at hand. I try to keep things simple. Less is often more. 

Edo

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Amsterdam—all of the Netherland—is bicycle country. Bike riders in the city of canals control everything. One must be very careful not to step into a bike lane. I saw 2 people hit in a half hour. And they move like heat-seeking missiles. I've never met a Dutchman who did not speak English. 

Yes great place to cycle, actually most of continental Europe is better than the UK in that respect

All the younger folk appear to speak English, but some of the more elderly not necessarily. My wife, who is a bit of a linguist, found that Geordie was sometimes better understood, we share some old Norse words I guess. Hyem (home) etc. Much to my regret I don't do languages, but I've  found that most pharmacies normally contain an English speaker when all is lost. 

Edited by Bryan

A Cockney is someone who lives in East London and can piss into the Thames. A Geordie is someone who lives in Newcastle and can piss into the Thames. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Haha 2

Many years ago I sported big long bushy sideboards and flares. I don't think it was ever a good look and I'm sure I had left it too late. Hands up another never viewer of the Kardashian show' No, I don't think I will be tempted by catch-up or re-run TV. I quite like some buskers but they are a rarity in Sudbury which is my nearest town

Listened to 2 buskers recently that impressed me. A woman playing blues/Jazz on a saxophone in Glastonbury town centre, and a older man outside St Albans museum last Saturday. Which reminds me must upload their pictures, the backlog is growing.

Nicaragua has mariachis, and sometimes, they're hired to show up at 3 or 4 a.m. to serenade someone on his or her birthday.  And one neighbor plays some kind of electronic keyboard, not well, but fortunately, not that often.  Buskers in the Anglo/Irish/US sense probably are more common in Managua,  or in Granada when the tourists are in season.  And we have traditional masked and costumed musicians who play in the streets at times.   And then brass bands accompany political and religion parades.