In Toronto about 3/4 of the people are wearing face masks and social distancing. The worst offenders are people in their 20's who are not social distancing or masking at all.

I have a theory that that behavior has something to do with their sex life since lockdown, or lack thereof. Difficult to send subtle signals through a mask.

Had a haircut on Friday last. Hope my 65 year old barber is still alive in 5 weeks time, when I will need another haircut.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Mask-wearing outdoors and indoors is declining in Vancouver, especially among young people. Cases have been falling in Canada, but I find it scary that people are letting their guard down. Here's a cautionary tale from Calgary, where at least 40 residents of the same condo tower came down with the virus. A few of them have been hospitalized.

Edited by John Mitchell

11 hours ago, wiskerke said:

If anyone is into gulls, have a look at this book: Gulls of the World - A Photographic Guide - Klaus Malling Olsen 2018

Without it I would never have known the difference between the argenteus and the argentatus. Hmm I still don't see it, but I now know there is.

Upperparts paler than in argentatus. Note very pale eyes surrounded by narrow, palish orbital ring, creating ʻsceptical lookʼ.

Sceptical look? Does mine have the sceptical look? Hmm.

Reviews of the book: 1; 2. (And the list of errata from 2. - Insert laughing gull emoji here.)

And there's the brilliant http://www.gull-research.org website. (Take a look at this page.)

wim

😂 That is serious gull information, especially the complicated 'errata' section. While I love birds, I'm not quite that obsessive! You have made me think of a bluegrass song and album by Steve Martin called Rare Bird Alert. Apparently rare bird alerts are when someone sees a very rare bird, they quickly inform all other birders within their network exactly what bird they have just seen, giving precise details of time and location. I can't help thinking that the poor, rare red-spotted thingamabob was quietly going about its business, and all of a sudden hundreds of birders are descending upon the location, scaring off the very bird they are so interested in. Anyway, Steve Martin created a bluegrass album named after this phenomenon. For anyone into banjo and bluegrass, this is the title track: 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

In Toronto about 3/4 of the people are wearing face masks and social distancing. The worst offenders are people in their 20's who are not social distancing or masking at all.

I have a theory that that behavior has something to do with their sex life since lockdown, or lack thereof. Difficult to send subtle signals through a mask.

i think it has more to do with the fact that living in a city you don't give a crap about anybody else, there is no community in a gigantic city full of strangers, so you do whatever you want;  i.e., masks are for other people.   also young people feel invulnerable and how people digest "news" wrongly believe only old and fat people get sick with covid-19.   what people do not get is this: wearing masks primarily is NOT to protect you from others, wearing masks are for protect YOU from others.  also there is this dynamic i see where mostly males do not wear masks. even couples walking down the street you see the male not wearing the mask while the partner is, I don't get that; must be a western cultural psychological thing where people think masks make you look weak and submissive.    

Edited by sooth
whatever
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

That’s odd about not covering the nose but at least the mouths are cover....better than nothing.  My area, just outside of DC, People seem to be very good about wearing masks.  It is heartening to see.  My nurse daughter says masks absolutely slow way down the breath particles from aerosolizing.  In the past three months, no healthcare worker, working with Covid patients at her hospital, have gotten the virus...just shows you that the personal protective gear they wear really does work!  Funny tho, she has a firefighter boyfriend who hates wearing a mask and will only do so when absolutely forced, she says.  I mean he will wear one in businesses but not so much in outside social areas. 

I maintain if the mask isn’t covering the nose it’s not achieving anything? 

I wore a medical mask at a protest I was covering a couple of weeks ago.  Not only did it keep slipping down, it decided to break after about 20 minutes.  Useless things. 

11 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

I wore a medical mask at a protest I was covering a couple of weeks ago.  Not only did it keep slipping down, it decided to break after about 20 minutes.  Useless things. 

I'm no expert, but I would have thought a cough or sneeze, or someone shouting loud would eject more particles and horizontally until they drop. From the nose particles would likely drop more downwards and with less force unless caught by a breeze. Either way, masks worn by the public appear to be flimsy and poor fitting and not fit for purpose. I suppose even these masks are better than nothing. I last wore a mask at a BLM protest march I covered. It was a poor fit and continually steamed up my glasses. Now have a small Calotherm spray, though I should have used washing up liquid before leaving home. Later most marchers removed their masks so they could chant and shout increasing risks to all.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, sb photos said:

It was a poor fit and continually steamed up my glasses.

Maybe make yourself one of the fashionable shapely ones. I'm also concerned about that, being a wearer myself. I'm hoping to get away with a snazzy hanky folded diagonally but I dread having to wear one for 4+ hours in an airport and on a flight. Thanks for the tip.

Guess what.........there was no spike in infections after the BLM marches. Better not say it too loud.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Because the paper masks can break, I always have a second one with me. On the street, when I'm not close to anyone, I wear the mask on my chin. It's very easy and fast to pull it up over my mouth and nose when I get close to others or inside a shop.

In Italy, a friend tells me, masks are becoming a fashion accessory. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1

I'm using some washable neck tube masks. Glasses still mist up and the world smells of fabric conditioner.  Needs must. 😉

I ordered a half-dozen or so masks from fine art America with my art on them. So far, so good. So yeah, stylish!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I ordered a half-dozen or so masks from fine art America with my art on them. So far, so good. So yeah, stylish!

Not to be a pessimist, but I hope they are using a non toxic ink or material to make these.  Just hate to see you get harmed by something that is to keep you safe.

6 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Just hate to see you get harmed by something that is to keep you safe.

Art attack??

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Not to be a pessimist, but I hope they are using a non toxic ink or material to make these.  Just hate to see you get harmed by something that is to keep you safe.

Doesn't anything sold or imported in the US have to pass safety standards? It wouldn't be permissible to use unapproved materials in the EU.

21 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Doesn't anything sold or imported in the US have to pass safety standards? It wouldn't be permissible to use unapproved materials in the EU.

It sounds like FAA is printing the photos on the mask material...so the mask may or may not be imported but the printing is probably done on site or at a contracting facility.

Should I get the bottom half of my face printed on my mask? Smiling, of course. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I’ve made loads of masks for friends, including this one!

face-mask-made-from-comic-relief-fabric-

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Should I get the bottom half of my face printed on my mask? Smiling, of course. 😁

... or just have a mask painted on the lower half of your face. 😷

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

This isn't a bad idea at all.. A business opportunity?...........

7 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

I'm using some washable neck tube masks. Glasses still mist up and the world smells of fabric conditioner.  Needs must. 😉

Apparently if you put a spot of washing up liquid on the lenses of your glasses and polish it off they won’t steam up.... 

Posted (edited)
On 29/06/2020 at 12:00, Mr Standfast said:

Oops, duplicate!

Edited by Thyrsis

32 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Apparently if you put a spot of washing up liquid on the lenses of your glasses and polish it off they won’t steam up.... 

Thanks.  🙂

8 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

You pessimist, you! :D

Actually, higher thinking Michael. Never even thought about it and I’m usually pretty up on medical issues. I don’t go anywhere to have them on over 30 minutes, but I’m sure I can get a snootful of toxic waste in that time. And of course, cumulative, like sun exposure.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Wonder if that lasts for 4 hours though.

Looks like I'll find out.

Edited by spacecadet

It occurs to me: we're all strangers in a strange land now.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

It occurs to me: we're all strangers in a strange land now.

Especially me!!