1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Known as a bog or the bogs in some quarters.

Never been keen on that one! And ‘bogroll’ That’s what my northerner brother calls it. 

3 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Also Kazi. (hope that is correct spelling.)

Allan

Khazi! Apparently this word is commonly used in Liverpool, Ed!

2 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Khazi! Apparently this word is commonly used in Liverpool, Ed!

Darn I had it right the first time then changed it.

Kazi is the nickname of Chris Rolle hip hop musician.

Allan

20 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

In north-east England (Tyneside area) it's a netty

The expert on this esoteric subject is Lucinda Lampton.

Ed... have you inspected the loos in the Philharmonic pub?  They're now grade I listed...

13 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

We say bathroom in my part of the country. Even if it’s a one-holer outhouse, you say, “Wait a second, before we hike, I need to go to the bathroom first.” And it doesn't mean you are going to take a bath.That includes port-a-potties. You never say “I have to go potty.” We are genteel in this area. 😉 
Although I think “loo” is a nice genteel name.

American friends said that they wanted to 'wash up' before we went out to the pub - this mystified us though was a very kind offer we thought. They were equally puzzled by us telling them not to bother washing up, that we always leave it to the morning.

• Haha 1

We seem to be firmly stuck in this scatalogical alternative issue. 😜

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

We seem to be firmly stuck in this scatalogical alternative issue. 😜

Now wash your hands...

Anyone wanting another blog to read, head over to Broken Cloud, and bump my readership into double figures. 😎

Edited by John Morrison

Sorry Ed, looks like your thread has gone down the pan! 😂

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Sorry Ed, looks like your thread has gone down the pan! 😂

Kinda fits...he has to say loo now instead of john! :D

Posted (edited)

Well maybe Edo's next installment on his blog, this weekend, will get us going on a new tangent. 😃

Edited by Michael Ventura

17 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Well maybe Edo next installment on his blog, this weekend, will get us going on a new tangent. 😃

I second that motion!  😉

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Well maybe Edo next installment on his blog, this weekend, will get us going on a new tangent. 😃

Sorry, no toilet-related pun, you'll have to do better if you want one of these😀

5 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Now wash your hands...

Anyone wanting another blog to read, head over to Broken Cloud, and bump my readership into double figures. 😎

I tried to post a short comment, John, but could not.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I tried to post a short comment, John, but could not.

Ah... I ticked the 'no profanitiy' option...

In Australia the term is dunny. I've even come across photographic books on the subject, especially outback dunnies that often look rickety. Even Alamy has some pics under the search term 'outback dunny': https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/outback-dunny.html

[Sorry Ed, I'm sure your thread will be back on track soon, flush with new ideas! 😂]

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Sally R said:

In Australia the term is dunny. I've even come across photographic books on the subject, especially outback dunnies that often look rickety. Even Alamy has some pics under the search term 'outback dunny': https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/outback-dunny.html

[Sorry Ed, I'm sure your thread will be back on track soon, flush with new ideas! 😂]

I don't know, Sally—we haven't gotten into the Asian nicknames yet. 

• Haha 2

Liverpool is not alone, all over the country the first queues forming were for McDonalds. I despair!

• Like 1

I don't miss restaurants - can't stand UK ones - but do miss pubs.

But it looks like pubs are going to be very strange places.

Restaurants, where I live, are now allowed to seat people inside at a 50% capacity.  Have not been inside one yet.  There are other rules in place, such as servers must where masks and gloves and only paper disposable menus can be used etc...  Of course the patrons don't wear masks while dining.  A strange new world we are in!

Edo, we have a Five Guys down the road from me....best burgers going for a chain restaurant.  That brand started here in the DC area back in 1986.  They are good but can only indulge about once a month,  a little bit too much of a good thing.

Well, our usual Germany weinfest gig in September appears to be off as large events are off till November. Maybe the south of France while we're still allowed to bring back a carful of wine, and to hell with quarantine.

• Downvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

Edo, we have a Five Guys down the road from me....best burgers going for a chain restaurant.  That brand started here in the DC area back in 1986.  They are good but can only indulge about once a month,  a little bit too much of a good thing.

I always order the litter cheeseburger and small fries at 5 Guys. The double patty is too much for me, and no matter what size fries you order, they give you lots. Do you have Shake Shack in DC yet? The pic in my blog of the burger with the curly fries is from them in Brooklyn. They have some in Liverpool but I would need a car. I eat a burger or a pizza sometimes so I can resist being a cuisine gourmet lad. SS has good burgers, low prices, fast service, beer, and NO Tipping!

Edited by Ed Rooney

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I always order the litter cheeseburger and small fries at 5 Guys. The double patty is too much for me, and no matter what size fries you order, they give you lots. Do you have Shake Shack in DC yet? The pic in my blog of the burger with the curly fries is from them in Brooklyn. They have some in Liverpool but I would need a car. I eat a burger or a pizza sometimes so I can resist being a cuisine gourmet lad. SS has good burgers, low prices, fast service, beer, and NO Tipping!

That is one thing I totally hate about North America. Why can't employers pay their staff properly?

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1