What Subjects in Winter?

I'm not on the slopes in the Rockies or the Alps. I'm walking around in a city on the Irish Sea. Landmarks might work, if there's not bare trees around. It's too dark and dull for much attractive Street. Inside museums in winter here, it's way too dark. I only upload stock images that I like and I don't like boring, downbeat lighting.

So what do you shoot in winter? (Stories about your Hawaiian or Caribbean holiday will be fronded upon.)

Edo 

• Love 1

Are there flower shops with outdoor displays? I always like what happens to colors in foliage and flowers in overcast light. Also, we haven't been seeing your meals lately. I used to be tempted to invite myself over for dinner when we were neighbors.

Paulette

Motion blurred person/people in front of main subject appears to be fashionable.  

Occasionally papers seem to go for a seasonal look, i.e. miserable, for some of their images,  bright sun and blue sky verboten.

The ‘death’ of the British high street… People now seem to want to buy experiences rather than things… Pop-up shops and cafés… For the first time in many years - hooray! - the number of pubs is going up, not down… Liverpool FC: champions of Europe and, soon, winners of the Premier League… The port of Liverpool as a place of arrivals, departures and our disengagement from Europe…  Urban deprivation and renewal... Scouse humour...

Edited by John Morrison

Winter in rainy Vancouver can be challenging for outdoor photography. I find that closeups that don't show the winter gloom can work -- e.g. architectural detail, signs, storefronts, abstracts, etc. However, I suppose there is really nothing new or inspirational on that list. Weather shots are out in Canada as news outlets tend to get them for free from their readers.

I like Bryan's suggestion re blurred people in front of main subjects. I'm going to experiment more with that.

woman-entering-a-royal-bank-of-canada-rb

Just when I recently Googled “British high street” to understand the meaning, it’s on the way out. 
That’s what we call “main street in the U.S., since it is the street the most or best commerce is on. Sadly, shopping centers and superstores have changed that, except in small towns without a Walmart (the first destroyer of mom & pop stores) within 20 miles or so....

• Like 1

Ed, I’m struggling a bit since the move to Wichita. It was much easier in Oklahoma City to get the shoots I wanted. OKC is a bigger city.  I expect that somehow I need to shift my thinking, but you know it’s hard when from the beginning it was there, not here.

Ruts, routines, the familiar.

Had I started here, it would be natural because here would be all I know. 
Do you think that’s the case with you? There is no comparison between the material you had available to shoot in NYC compared to Liverpool.

Betty

• Love 1

I love wildlife photography in the winter, more than summer - if you can get a nice/ok day!

Though, aiming to start exploring a bit of London winter over next couple of months. Need to get away from wildlife just a smidge more. Maybe visit some small nearby towns. I'm surprised that some small out of the way places I have shot have come up in searches. But even then, heavy cloud leads to dull stuff a lot of the time.

From the wish list...

For the city.

Low winter sun, long shadows, a clear blue sky and small subjects in an open place.

For the country.

Low winter sun, long shadows, a clear blue sky and a honey coloured cottage.

From the pragmatic list...

Anything I can document without intersting light. 

The NHS

Odd British customs...

All the best every one!

2AHMTYJ.jpg

Using the Twilight Scene setting.

You're just an hour from Oxford by train or car, Chris. Check out charming Great Twe and the Cotswolds. If you have a car, you'll be Village Rich. 

And you have a car, right, Betty? I find what to shoot better in most any new place that I'm not familiar with. But NYC has almost 9 million people. Liverpool has less than one.

Here's an interesting tech thing I discovered by having to shoot in low light. Some of you will recall my abandoned plan to test shooting jpegs instead of RAW with the RX100/6. In the past month I've been doing a lot of dusk and dark shooting and I've found that the Hand-held Twilight Scene setting, which shoots just jpegs, works very well. Phillipe (gone from Alamy now) was amazed by it

Edited by Ed Rooney

Dont forget Aintree - and the activity that goes with it.  OK to shoot on the course commerically you will need to apply for permission and credentials, (which with your experience should not be a problem) but even out on the road at the entrance there should be some good material, including the British racegoers incredible ability to dress for a summer  party in the middle of winter if involves horses.  There may also be the opportunity to get horses exercising off track.  Then there will be the catering supplies arriving or leaving, and all the subsidiary bits- I do recommend going for a days racing even without your camera mind.

23 minutes ago, chris_rabe said:

I always shy away form doing submitting any kind of "creative" imagery to stock sites.

Why ? ...... .....there's more money in 'creative' imagery than editorial. Some smaller libraries only want creative work for their clients.

I think Bill's wintry forest image above is great. See that being used as a fiction book cover image. Mood and feeling, not too descriptive, room for copy space etc...

• Love 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I too really like Bill's wintry images. Snow may be the great simplifier, but unfortunately rain -- at least the copious amount we get in Vancouver -- tends to be the great party pooper.  😝

Not so sure John, this sold

road-traffic-seen-through-heavy-rain-on-

19 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

2AHMTYJ.jpg

Using the Twilight Scene setting.

You're just an hour from Oxford by train or car, Chris. Check out charming Great Twe and the Cotswolds. If you have a car, you'll be Village Rich. 

And you have a car, right, Betty? I find what to shoot better in most any new place that I'm not familiar with. But NYC has almost 9 million people. Liverpool has less than one.

Here's an interesting tech thing I discovered by having to shoot in low light. Some of you will recall my abandoned plan to test shooting jpegs instead of RAW with the RX100/6. In the past month I've been doing a lot of dusk and dark shooting and I've found that the Hand-held Twilight Scene setting, which shoots just jpegs, works very well. Phillipe (gone from Alamy now) was amazed by it

Yes I have a car, and actually shoot from the car window a lot.  But after more than a year, I still don’t know my way around a good part of this small city. When we first moved here, it was funny how many times I got turned around. One main thoroughfare led me off course and I ended up about 5 miles south of anything resembling a town.  Shoot. It really wasn’t a thoroughfare or I would have been fine. 

I have a bit of a fear about getting lost. Yes, I have a smartphone, but somehow can’t get the voice option to work on The GPS.  I refuse to take my eyes off the road to visually follow the GPS map. A sure way to end up crammed into the tailpipe of the car ahead.

Wichita has more crime per 1000 than Oklahoma City does. There are places, as a woman alone, I shouldn’t go. But I’m so new, I don’t know where those places are.

Betty